Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Colchester

Well, that creeped up on me unawares. The 'U's playing at Old Trafford in a league cup quarter final.

It really does beg the question, when are Charlton going to have a cup run? I'm sick of us putting out second rate teams in cup competitions, capitulating to all competition and burying supporters' dreams. This is an area that I really do hope the new owners prioritise - hopefully, that'll be the thing that Bows thinks is strange.

Comments

• Options
    Couldnt give a f@ck
  • Options
    We dont do cups!
  • Options
    For a club that has been in the top two flights for all bar ten of the 72 seasons since we won the Cup, it is rather pathetic that we have only appeared five times in the QFs (and no further to boot) from 130 "campaigns" in the FA and League Cups.

In fact, I would struggle to name a club of a similar standing who has a worse record!
  • Options
    Went to Colchester in September. Lovely place, steeped in roman history, official capital of England back in the day. Well impressed. Give it a whirl, but yes we're shit in cup games.
  • Options
    To balance the arguement somewhat, we have in the last 25 years been prioritising other things......like promotion to either The Premier League or (more recently) to The Championship. Some more mediocre teams prioritise a cup run & a day out against one of the "big boys" to keep them solvent. Oxford & Colchester are 2 such teams. Neither will be threatening the Premier League anytime soon I would imagine. 
  • Options
    The worst result was the Carling Cup Quarter-Final defeat to Wycombe, while we were in the Premier League and they were League Two. Not only did they beat us but they played us off the park.
    If memory serves me right I went to the bar before half-time and didn't bother returning for the second half, as it was clear that there was nothing in that team that was going to turn it round. 
  • Options
    The worst result was the Carling Cup Quarter-Final defeat to Wycombe, while we were in the Premier League and they were League Two. Not only did they beat us but they played us off the park.
    If memory serves me right I went to the bar before half-time and didn't bother returning for the second half, as it was clear that there was nothing in that team that was going to turn it round. 
    Only decent player that night was Scott Carson and he was a loanee! Wasnt it Les Reeds last game?
  • Options
    To balance the arguement somewhat, we have in the last 25 years been prioritising other things......like promotion to either The Premier League or (more recently) to The Championship. Some more mediocre teams prioritise a cup run & a day out against one of the "big boys" to keep them solvent. Oxford & Colchester are 2 such teams. Neither will be threatening the Premier League anytime soon I would imagine. 
    There aren't many sides who have absolutely nothing to play for when the 3rd or 4th round of a League or FA Cup comes round and that is historically when we've gone out.
  • Options
    Drives me crazy.
    A couple of years ago, if we had beaten Wimbledon, we would have got Spurs at Wembley in next round , and people on here were still saying 'good we are out of the useless comp' and that was even after the draw.!
    I'm still annoyed about that.....so are my kids
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kap10 said:
    Only decent player that night was Scott Carson and he was a loanee! Wasnt it Les Reeds last game?
    I think that it was his last home game in charge but I don't think that he was sacked until after the away defeat at 'boro. 
  • Options
    Went to Colchester in September. Lovely place, steeped in roman history, official capital of England back in the day. Well impressed. Give it a whirl, but yes we're shit in cup games.
    And so is their stadium!
  • Options

Quarter finals in 1994 at Man Utd. Great day out despite the result including a Saturday night in Manchester.

Quarter finals in 2014 at Sheffield Utd. Not such a great day, i'm sure, though I wasn't there. We all know what happened just after that.

So, it's a wait until 2034, when we will be drawn away to another United. Be patient everyone.

• Options

Quarter finals in 1994 at Man Utd. Great day out despite the result including a Saturday night in Manchester.

Quarter finals in 2014 at Sheffield Utd. Not such a great day, i'm sure, though I wasn't there. We all know what happened just after that.

So, it's a wait until 2034, when we will be drawn away to another United. Be patient everyone.

We also got to the FA Cup quarter final in 99/00 and 05/06 plus the League Cup quarter final in 06/07.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

We also got to the FA Cup quarter final in 99/00 and 05/06 plus the League Cup quarter final in 06/07.

Yes. Of course. Selective memory! Remember the Bolton game quite well, though I was out in Thailand for the 2006 games and they weren't shown on TV.

We're better in Cups than I thought................just!

But we'll still get a United away in 2034!
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Well, that crept up on me unawares. The 'U's playing at Old Trafford in a league cup quarter final.

It really does beg the question, when are Charlton going to have a cup run? I'm sick of us putting out second rate teams in cup competitions, capitulating to all competition and burying supporters' dreams. This is an area that I really do hope the new owners prioritise - hopefully, that'll be the thing that Bows thinks is strange.
    Fixed it for you but apart from that totally agree.