Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Queens Park Rangers v Charlton | Sat 21 Dec | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Queens Park Rangers v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 21st December 2019 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Matt Donohue (prev. games: Barnsley | Birmingham | West Brom)

Introduction
Football in the past two weeks has shown itself to be a cruel sport at times, despite having a depleted squad at his disposal; Lee Bowyer’s men have shown the sort of spirit that we’ve come to expect – This Saturday we make the short trip across to West London where we face Queens Park Rangers!! - We could have been making the trip with four points from those last games, but as is the way in this league, there is an extremely high chance that you’ll be punished!!

The Opposition
Name: Queens Park Rangers (13th) | Manager: Mark Warburton
Ground: Loftus Road

Whilst we await the completion of our own takeover we should remember the recent rich days of our opponents this weekend – Brought out by F1 chief: Bernie Ecclestone; Rangers were supposed to be the next version of Manchester City.

It would take QPR four years to reach the Premier League after that change at the top (proof it’s not easy to buy your way out of this Division), yet they would not remain there long - Bad managerial appointments would see the club relegated after just their second season, whilst QPR would bounce back at the first attempt, their second stay would be even shorter, now into their fifth Championship season, a return to the Premier League looks unlikely - Rangers ultimately paying the price for being the first team to seriously break FFP rules and would earn themselves a transfer ban in 2018, which would end this summer!!

Of course you can spend all the money in the world but if you’re a good enough Manager with a good enough Academy then you may not always need to dip into the transfer market – If there has been one positive to come from the transfer ban then it is Ebe Eze - With nine goals already this term (four goals his previous best), he’s surely going to be another who like Karlan Grant and Jarred Bowen, will be difficult to keep at Loftus Road into February!!

Charlton Team News
It was a delight to hear after the Hull game that both Jonny Williams and Sam Field would be available for this Saturday’s clash with Queens Park Rangers… Or so we thought, both have now had setbacks so will now surely miss the entirety of the Christmas schedule

On other fronts it appears as though a sickness bug is going around teams like anything (Ross County in Scotland have just eight fit players ahead of their game this Weekend) – With Alfie Doughty absent from our last game and Dillon Phillips unwell this week, its hopeful they’ll be able to add to the team, should the latter be unavailable then you’d have to wonder if Ashley Maynard-Brewer is yet ready for this level of football

Phillips
Solly | Lockyer | Pearce | Sarr | Purrington
Pratley | Doughty
Gallagher
Taylor | Leko

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Matthews | Oshilaja | Morgan | Vennings | Bonne | Ledley

Prediction
With the Christmas run of games now effectively upon us it’s important that the squad gets rotated as best as possible – There will be questions if Lyle Taylor will be fit enough to start so soon after his return yet it might get to the stage where Lee Bowyer is desperate; Rangers themselves will be looking to bounce back after a heavy defeat at Barnsley last weekend

All it leaves me to say this preview is Merry Christmas to everyone, thanks as always for reading and to @Sage for his excellent support so far!!

Comments

• Options
    Great preview as usual FA. 
    And a very merry Xmas to you.
    The injuries just seem to be non stop at the moment but to quote Bowyer it is what it is.
    I'm going tomorrow and I look forward to seeing how Taylor looks up front with Leco.
    2.1 Charlton and we can all relax a little over Xmas. 
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    If we're going for that formation then Doughty at wing back and Morgan in the centre. 
  • Options
    What's the drainage like at LR? Rained off seems like as good a prediction as any 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I've seen QPR a couple of times on TV and I don't rate their defence, though they are a dangerous team going forward.
    The centre half, Leistner, is a dirty bastard and it would be great to see Taylor give him a hard time.
    I just hope we look to be positive if we get a lead, as we will certainly need at least a 2 goal cushion going in to added time. :wink:
  • Options

Happy Christmas FA, your match previews are excellent.

1-1

• Options
    Sadly I cant see anything other than a defeat . Injuries and what with Taylor winding everyone up - 3-0 Loss
  • Options
    Non twitters will be right behind Taylor, and I admit that I am not a twit.

QPR are good going forward but poor at defending. Snap.

A 2-2 draw looks favourite to me and I would be happy with that. If our luck changes and we score early they could implode and we could win comfortably.

I think we will go 3-5-2 and keep it as tight as possible and try and hit them on the break.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not keen on the five at the back set up myself, but what do I know, let's just hope a vocal away following gets to sing jingle bells 0-1.
  • Options
    Not keen on the five at the back set up myself, but what do I know, let's just hope a vocal away following gets to sing jingle bells 0-1.
    I think you'll find that's Tingle Bells, young man ! 

:smile:
  • Options
    After 3 wives I can only say that the tingle leads to trouble. 
  • Options
    Excellent as ever FA , 1-2 to Charlton , Taylor and Boone ( the new Morecombe and Wise )
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    My first away game post-boycott and I am looking forward to meeting up with a squad of mates and a few pre-match pints with a couple of QPR lads we know. Loftus Road not a great hunting ground for us although I was reminded this week of that glorious Gary Poole strike which gave us a rare win many moons ago. QPR aren't great shakes at home but we aren't exactly firing on all cylinders either. The first goal could prove crucial and given our lack of creativity at the moment, you have to fear QPR will get it. Going to try not to let the queueing to get in or the cramped seating spoil my day - it really is time QPR spent a few quid updating the terrible facilities for visiting supporters.

• Options
    Another excellent post @ForeverAddickted
    Won't be at the game Saturday unfortunately but hopefully will make the boxing day fixture against Bristol City.
    Hopefully a well deserved and fought 3 points for us to make Christmas more cheerful.
    Will send my Christmas greetings on the actual day with a little hangover haha.
    Hopefully the Charlton faithful will be in full volume with 'jingle bells, oh what fun it is to see Charlton win away or more importantly  Charlton win a game' haha.
    2-1 Charlton Taylor with the winner.
    COYR!!!
  • Options
    The lads must be feeling very down after last minute goals, injuries, training setbacks and flu.

There are 2500 of us there on Sat and we must not let our support subside - however good or bad the match goes for us.
    100% support to try and get us 3 points.
  • Options
    Merry Christmas and a super time during the decade starting 2020 to all us lifers who live in hope .. of MANY things

QPR away ? enjoy it all 2000+ who are going

QPR 1 v CAFC 1
  • Options
    special thanks to @ForeverAddickted for his super previews and knowledgeable comments 
  • Options
    A repeat of the 4-2 win from 1997 would be nice, indeed that's the most goals I've ever seen us score away!

I imagine there will be goals tomorrow, QPR are definitely much better in attack than defence, and our (collected) defence seems to have forgotten how to grind out clean sheets. Lyle Taylor to score and in a change from custom shush the Charlton supporters...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Such a blow to lose Williams and Field this week. Feel quite negative again so would take a draw. Hope the lurgi doing the rounds doesn't impact further meaning more players missing. COYRs
  • Options
    Decent performance last week, one that we can build on. We really missed Williams, and I’m gutted he’s has this setback but good to see Naby returning to a bit of form. If he can get forward it’ll unsettle their defence. 
    2-2
  • Options

Firstly thanks FA for all the previews and Merry Christmas to you.

For no reason whatsoever I have an odd feeling we will win 2-1 late winner, I have had a naff day but for some reason tomorrow I feel we are going to knick it. There will be a good crowd too so hopefully they get the result they deserve! COYA

• Options
    Ball numbing defeat exacerbated by the fact that we had enough opportunies to win it.

Defeat from the jaws of victory.

2-1 to QP HAHA
  • Options
    I was hoping to get to the game tomorrow, it being the only other match I could attend after hull, as I fly out Sunday, however family commitments have scuppered that. 

After watching us against hull I feel we have enough to at least get a draw. A win would be a timely boost to the team, no doubt they are pissed off with dropping points recently. 

I’m hoping for a 2-1 win. 

Merry Christmas to you all! 

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Hats off to the 2,900? travelling to the Subbuteo stadium near the Bush tomorrow. As our former pitchside announcer used to say make some noise and get behind the boys COYRs!

Can't remember how many we took in November 1970 for our biggest margin win 4-1 in my lifetime but there was plenty of us and some in the wrong end until we got repatriated by the Old Bill 😈. Mike Kenning on the scoresheet that day. However any margin of victory would be more than acceptable but I'd take a point right now.

Seasonal greetings are warmly reciprocated FA and thanks for the previews, keep up the good work and you Sage 👍.
  • Options
    Cant see us stopping them scoring
     We need a little bit of luck sooner or later. Nick it 2-1.
  • Options
    Surely we are due some luck this week? It could be a good time to play them coming off the back of a big defeat to lowly Barnsley. 1-1 with them equalising again in 90+ mins.
  • Options
    4-1 to the Addicks, the day everything goes right. Taylor Gallagher Bonne Sarr
  • Options
    They are rubbish defensively but score goals. We are rubbish defensively & cant score goals.

3-0 to them & Taylor to be on the bench.

Some bollox about him having the sniffles that is going around the club, but in reality he is already on the bus to xxxx club.