Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Christmas boxes

Every year in my road, we get together and Annie down the road organises this, and then gives those of us who contributed the feedback:

Are we one of the last remaining streets that does this, or does it happen elsewhere?

Comments

• don't even know the people on my road and i've lived here my whole life
  • don't even know the people on my road and i've lived here my whole life
    Ditto. Have a good relationship with neighbours on either side of ours, but apart from that have not said a single word, not even a passing hello, to any other person in my road in the 14 years I’ve lived here. And I’m a friendly person!
  • Ps. Our bin men wouldn’t get a penny out of me
  • I am a bit surprised that people don't know their neighbours if they have lived somewhere for a long time.
    We are a pretty neighbourly community here. Very often looking out for each other in ways that go beyond only taking in a parcel, but stop well short of intrusiveness.
    I have the keys and the alarm code for the people over the road who have gone away for a few days over Christmas. Everybody seems to drop in a Christmas card too.
    I recommend building a community where possible, if nothing else it helps to ease problems over parking and disputes over parking.
    Anyway I like feeling that the binmen (never women for some reason) have got something to show our appreciation.
  • Our garden waste collectors gave me £5 back on our collection fee (£40) due to their incompetence in doing their job!  But I am not expecting a Christmas card. 
  • We have a fantastic relationship with our binmen, who will all say hello to our dogs when they are in the front of the house although they know not to lean over the gate. We let them out into the road for a fuss and the dogs often steal their gloves that have been placed somewhere while they do. Last year they got given some chicken wings by the guys and we gave them a few beers. Most of our neighbours know us although its mainly "morning or afternoon" terms we had half a dozen or so in for a drink last night as we do every year and we let Bailey and Valli up for a fuss just before they left which when they are older than us they take great delight getting close up with them. As for passing people in the street its very much the done thing down here, something that took some getting used too. Now I do it all the time and if I feel someone is deliberately not making eye contact they are singled out for a "Good morning, hope you are well" 
    Nor ours, they’re feckless idiots. They hardly ever bother putting the bins back on the drive, just leave them on the pavement to either blow away or picked up by someone else. Reckon I must have ordered at least a dozen replacement recycling boxes in the last 3 years. They delivered a new, supposedly fox proof food bin the other week but obviously just threw it on the drive as when I got home, it was open, upside down and the locking mechanism broken.

Know and get on well with a fair few of our neighbours, we’re lucky as they’re all decent & considerate.

• I live in a country lane and only have 4 x houses close enough to call neighbours however we do know them all but we do not do anything like this for the bin men. 
    Nor ours, they’re feckless idiots. They hardly ever bother putting the bins back on the drive, just leave them on the pavement to either blow away or picked up by someone else. Reckon I must have ordered at least a dozen replacement recycling boxes in the last 3 years. They delivered a new, supposedly fox proof food bin the other week but obviously just threw it on the drive as when I got home, it was open, upside down and the locking mechanism broken.

Know and get on well with a fair few of our neighbours, we’re lucky as they’re all decent & considerate.

They probably got fed up with all those soggy tissues you kept putting in the rubbish.
  • My binmen are fckin helmets who miss something every week. 

I used to tip my binmen where I used to live as they would do a good job.

I honestly feel privileged if all my bins go every week as they should, christ knows I pay enough council tax. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Used to give them beers at Christmas, absolutely no chance where I live now.