Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How do we reverse the rise of racism in football?

13»

Comments

• seth plum said:
    It is a problem that is huge and pervades everything.
    It won't diminish, look how many millions chose to vote for a racist government with such enthusiasm.
    A lot of people are simply like that to the point that I assume everybody is a racist until I feel in some way reassured that they're not.
    I might add that being Chinese, or black or brown or Jewish or whatever does not stop someone being racist. However I am more wary of white English people than any other group (I don't live in America, Australia or South Africa).
    In football if there is a hint of racism ideally matches should be abandoned immediately, get the pain and suffering (of the ruination of the sport) out there and exposed in order to motivate people to try to effect change.
    It has been a long time since Tommie Smith and John Carlos and what really has fundamentally changed beyond a degree of tokenism?
    Racist old twat. 
  • I think @seth plum is a misunderstood gentleman.
  • Off_it said:
    I genuinely think Seth has lost the old plotto in recent weeks.

if your spuds don’t crisp tomorrow try not to blame it on the election. The world today is exactly the same one from a month ago, and will be exactly the same tomorrow. 

Have a good Xmas pal.
    Sorry mate, but that's just not acceptable either.

Seth has lost the plot. Bless.

Change the words "white English" in that sentence to "black" and I bet nobody would be feeling quite so charitable. Christmas or no Christmas.

You would probably be banned if you said I'm more wary of black/Irish/Chinese/Asian, anything in fact, except white English.

We deserve racist abuse because we are hated, evil, scum.

Happy Xmas.
  • James O’Brien on LBC yesterday made a brilliant point IMO.

If we arrest the idiot who was making monkey noises and gestures and he turns round and says, oh but what if I chanted at him “you’re a piccannie with a watermelon smile!” (Boris Johnson circa 2002 article) would that be okay? 

In other words, as GNev eluded to, how can we expect better from the people when those at the top are getting away with it.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/3571742/If-Blairs-so-good-at-running-the-Congo-let-him-stay-there.html

This is the 'picanninie' article. It is a criticism of patronising racist politicians  .Not an endorsement of them.
  • edited December 2019
    There is a dilemma. Can you be racist by criticising your own ethnic group?  I am white, but am fully aware that most voiciferous racists are white. Most of my family including an addick with 1/4 Indian ancestry have racist undertones, all Brexiteers. 

From memory Seth's immediate family are not Brits.He may have been on the recieving end of racism. Any critics on here in mixed marriages? Doubt it. 

Or are you just racists pretending to be liberals?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2019
    Huskaris said:
    I think @seth plum is a misunderstood gentleman.
    If this is misunderstanding him, I'm terrified of what understanding him is like

Seth reminds me of a racist old relative, where due to the fact that they are semi senile you just leave it and hold your tongue.

The reality is he spouts bile and hatred unlike any other member of this forum. 

That's taking speaking for oneself to its natural limit. 
  • edited December 2019
    Whilst there have been a couple of high profile incidents in recent years, I don’t think we have as major a problem in UK football as much as some make out.

Thats not to say it doesn’t need stamping out or some sort of change. However, I’m not entirely sure how you do that in order to completely make it a clean slate going forward.

If you have 60,000 people in a stadium - yet there is one person who has had a lot to drink (and is also a huge dickhead to go along with it) who starts making racist remarks - does that equate to British football having a “racism problem”?

In order to stamp any forms of remaining racism out of football then you need to stamp it out of society - and I don’t think that will ever be achieved to an extent where it’s a 100% turnaround - whether we are in/out the EU, who’s in charge of the country etc 
  • Chizz said:
    Off_it said:
    “in football”?

i think that’s the tip of the iceberg, unfortunately.
    Exactly. Racism is a societal problem. Look at the rise of right wing politics on a global scale. People are stupid enough to believe the 'other' is to blame and hatred is stirred. That spills into football. Football isn't racist. Society is racist and some racists also watch and work in football.
    I agree with you. But it begs the question why does racism proliferate in football while being almost non-existent in pretty much every other sport?
    I don't believe that to be true. Not if you're including institutional racism.
  • Come on guys, it’s Christmas. Let’s all take our foot off the gas for a couple of days, eh?
  • All a load of b@llocks.
    A few posts saying the fans should play a part in sorting out racism.
    A couple of weeks ago there were posts calling for the muppet who tweeted karlan grant to be banned for life.
    Yet we are 3 months into the leeds alleged racism and how many fans of the club have been demanding to know what's happening to the leeds goalkeeper.
    As I say kick racism out when it suits us.
  • Easy for you to say @AFKABartram, there's three evil white English people with hoods up outside eyeing up the presents under my tree!

• PaddyP17 said:
    I don't really believe the people making racist comments are actually racists.

They just want to be as offensive as they can to whomever they want to be offensive to. And racist comments seem to do the trick.
    Oh, well that makes it alright then.

If spouting racist rhetoric and making monkey noises and espousing other such tropes doesn't actually make you a racist, then what the hell else does?
    Ron Atkinson 
  • Sponsored links:

• Someone will be along soon on their high horse telling us all ‘you can’t be racist to white people....’
  • Off_it said:
    Come on guys, it’s Christmas. Let’s all take our foot off the gas for a couple of days, eh?
    Yeah, you're right. Let's confront racist views in the New Year. Until then it's anything goes on here, clearly.
    2020 vision?
  • Someone will be along soon on their high horse telling us all ‘you can’t be racist to white people....’
     I almost posted the same thing... But was concerned I'd be accused of racism.
  • Off_it said:
    There is a dilemma. Can you be racist by criticising your own ethnic group?  I am white, but am fully aware that most voiciferous racists are white. Most of my family including an addick with 1/4 Indian ancestry have racist undertones, all Brexiteers. 

From memory Seth's immediate family are not Brits.He may have been on the recieving end of racism. Any critics on here in mixed marriages? Doubt it. 

Or are you just racists pretending to be liberals?
    WTF?!!!

Is this a wind up?

"Most vociferous racists are white"? Really? 
    Sorry, I live in Surrey, so mainly integrate with white racists. I can empathize with victims of girls in northern towns who have been targeted by Asian gangs but I feel that that is a drop in the ocean compared to white racism. Let us not forget our PM outpourings that have him re-elected by a mainly white electorate and have allowed racism to flourish.
  • Off_it said:
    seth plum said:
    It is a problem that is huge and pervades everything.
    It won't diminish, look how many millions chose to vote for a racist government with such enthusiasm.
    A lot of people are simply like that to the point that I assume everybody is a racist until I feel in some way reassured that they're not.
    I might add that being Chinese, or black or brown or Jewish or whatever does not stop someone being racist. However I am more wary of white English people than any other group (I don't live in America, Australia or South Africa).
    In football if there is a hint of racism ideally matches should be abandoned immediately, get the pain and suffering (of the ruination of the sport) out there and exposed in order to motivate people to try to effect change.
    It has been a long time since Tommie Smith and John Carlos and what really has fundamentally changed beyond a degree of tokenism?
    Sorry, what? 

On what fucking planet is that an acceptable comment? Unbelievable. And in a thread about racism.

Wary.
    Do you know the meaning of the word?
    So you seem to be saying I should not be more wary of white English people than others, even if that is the way i feel.
    Wary.
    Explain why that is an unacceptable thing to write. That I am not entitled to report that I feel wary.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!