Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best Charlton team of the Decade

2»

Comments

• Options
    You can almost make 2 different lists, the best players who've played a reasonable number of games during the decade, which rewards longer service and consistency, and the most talented players which is those who looked really good, got flogged and went on to better things or were only here for a short time...

"longer service team"
    Hamer
    Solly Morrison Bauer Wiggins
    JBG Cousins Stephens Jackson
    Kermorgant Taylor

"Best team"
    Pope
    Konsa Diarra Ben-Haim Gomez 
    JBG Coquelin Stephens Lookman
    Kermorgant Vetekele

All internationals or have played in the Premier League or equivalent elsewhere

Christ - Pope.

Hamer ( more for character and memories)

Solly, Bauer, Gomez, Wiggins

JBG, Gallagher, Aribo, Jackson

Kermorgant, Taylor 
  • Options
    Williams (on ability obviously, not fitness record or appearances), would have to be in there 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Pope
    Solly Gomez Bauer Wiggins
    Gudmundsson Diarra Shelvey Lookman
    Kermorgant Taylor
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    Pope
    Kermorgant Taylor
    Quite like that I have 5(ish) academy products in there. 

Pope was just coming into his own as he left. 

Solly deserves his place for consistency. 

Gomez
    was outstanding and has outclassed the likes of Raheem Sterling multiple times. 

Shelvey
    is a class footballer. He is still an outstanding player and like Gomez continues to do it at the highest level. 

Lookman
    was easily our best option when here, he should have kicked on but I feel Everton really fudged his development. Wasn't really a full academy product. 

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Pope
    Kermorgant Taylor
    Quite like that I have 5(ish) academy products in there. 

Pope was just coming into his own as he left. 

Solly deserves his place for consistency. 

Gomez
    was outstanding and has outclassed the likes of Raheem Sterling multiple times. 

Shelvey
    is a class footballer. He is still an outstanding player and like Gomez continues to do it at the highest level. 

Lookman
    was easily our best option when here, he should have kicked on but I feel Everton really fudged his development. Wasn't really a full academy product. 

Did Shelvey play for us in this decade ?
  • Options
    Shelvey left us in May 2010 so yes he would be eligible
  • Options
    Got to be this really. You can make cases for Stephens and Holmes in midfield, and Morrison in defence, but really, it has to be that team. 
  • Options
    I also think that any team without Jackson in it just can’t be right. What he did for us in the early years of this decade was phenomenal. Without that leadership and those goals in key moments, we wouldn’t have had the success we did at times.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Quite difficult this without emotional attachment, for instance I would want Jacko for his service and goals for us but if it's based on how good players are altogether even after Charlton then he deffo doesn't make the cut.  

I would have to go 

Pope
    Solly Konsa Gomez Wiggins
    JBG Stephens Coquelin Lookman
    Yann Taylor

Honourable mentions: Karlan, BWP, Jacko, Morrison, Bauer, Hamer, Shelvey, Aribo and Buyens
  • Options
    Would love to have seen more of Alou Diarra. Bloke was on another level to what we were seeing at the time.
    This. Hoping he'll come back and coach at some point. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Pope (it's not just what he's become, he was excellent the second half of our relegation season)
    Fanni Konsa Bauer Gomez
    JBG Coqelin Diarra Lookman 
    ............... Holmes 
    ................ Yann

A bit of a contrarian team because I think Sky's is very good. But I do think Diarra needs to be there. And as for Coquelin, he was absolute class. Got to see him play in person in two of his games for us, a level above. 

Fanni is another one who, after taking a bit to settle in, looked class. It was a shame he wasn't match fit when he joined. 
  • Options
    I like the sky team 
  • Options
    I'll pick mine based on players at their very best form/fitness and with entertainment in mind....

Henderson

Gomez Ben-Haim Fanni

Gudmonsson Gallagher Diarra Jackson Wiggins

Lookman Kermorgant

Subs; Hamer, Watt, Buyens, Vetokele, Taylor, Solly, Holmes
  • Options
    A team full of Kermorgants. Apologies if already mentioned.
  • Options
    really disappointed not to see bikey in many teams 😁