Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is our injury record going to hamper us in the transfer market?

2»

Comments

• Options
    If I am right, we are now up to 15 injured squad players?

1. Amos
    2. Page
    3. Bonne
    4. Stevenson
    5. Aucharia
    6. Aneke
    7. Williams
    8. Kayel
    9. Hemed
    10. Field
    11. Leko
    12. Cullen
    13. Lapslie
    14. Forster-Caskey
    15.  Oztumer 

Add to that Ledley, Taylor, Purrington, Pratley and Gallagher whom all need a rest

Yeah Ledley is still tired from that 45 minute masterclass. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Yet Jake Cooper has just played every minute of 100 consecutive games for Millwall when so many of ours struggle with 3 in 8 days.

is if the players we are signing, or the way we are conditioning them?
  • Options
    Yet Jake Cooper has just played every minute of 100 consecutive games for Millwall when so many of ours struggle with 3 in 8 days.

I’m sure it’s a combination of reasons rather than one single cause.

Every area needs to be considered, from the players we sign, the way we train, the way we play, our pre-season (or lack of it for many signings) the medical team, budgets for the medical team, their equipment etc and no doubt various other things that play a part in keeping players fit.
  • Options
    A key thing people are forgetting is that for the past few years we have been shopping in the bargain basement for players, we have been forced into signing players who are more injury prone as we couldn’t afford those that other teams wanted. It’s no surprise that we get a higher rate of injuries than other teams when our squad consists of a higher percentage of injury prone players. Again this is RDs fault for refusing to back LB.
  • Options
    If I am right, we are now up to 15 injured squad players?

1. Amos
    2. Page
    3. Bonne
    4. Stevenson
    5. Aucharia
    6. Aneke
    7. Williams
    8. Kayel
    9. Hemed
    10. Field
    11. Leko
    12. Cullen
    13. Lapslie
    14. Forster-Caskey
    15.  Oztumer 

Add to that Ledley, Taylor, Purrington, Pratley and Gallagher whom all need a rest

Ledley needs a rest?!
  • Options
    Scoham said:

I’m sure it’s a combination of reasons rather than one single cause.

Every area needs to be considered, from the players we sign, the way we train, the way we play, our pre-season (or lack of it for many signings) the medical team, budgets for the medical team, their equipment etc and no doubt various other things that play a part in keeping players fit.
    Nutrition has to be up there too. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Murray......Brighton......Loan.......Maybe.
  • Options
    Think Brighton have a decent chairman as it is.
  • Options
    I don't think you can blame the medical team for injuries to Cullen and Leko ..... they were challenged and fell awkwardly. You can't legislate for that.

Or for Field. He was tackled and the opponent fell on top of him, causing his knee to twist.
    Freak injuries.

None of these players has ever been 'injury prone'. And I doubt anything to do with intensity of training and playing.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I don't think you can blame the medical team for injuries to Cullen and Leko ..... they were challenged and fell awkwardly. You can't legislate for that.

Or for Field. He was tackled and the opponent fell on top of him, causing his knee to twist.
    Freak injuries.

None of these players has ever been 'injury prone'. And I doubt anything to do with intensity of training and playing.

agree on those three. The number of hamstrings bother me, and even more so the failure to recover from them without setbacks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Freak injuries.

I believe I am right in saying that none of our injuries occurred in training.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Freak injuries.

Taylor's?  Field's second one, Williams and Chucks breaking down. 
  • Options
    There have been a few freak injuries but some of them clearly aren’t. It can’t all be down to bad luck.

Williams for example should have been rested after playing for Wales. I’m sure we had Oztumer on the bench at the time, and maybe even Aneke.

Bonne and JFC were two others that needed resting but by the time they got injured we had little choice. Purrington had an injury a while ago that I think he also picked up after playing with a knock.

Leko might not have been injured had we had options to rotate.

Hemed and Kayal came in with injuries and for whatever reason have never looked fully fit.

Aneke looks like a player that has struggled with the step up in intensity.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Freak injuries.

agree on those three. The number of hamstrings bother me, and even more so the failure to recover from them without setbacks.
    It's a circular isn't it?

Taylor then Leko have freak injuries so Bonne is over played and gets a muscular one. 

Purrington and Page were both injured at the same time so JFC over played and got injured. 

Ozzy and Chucks were both injured so Williams was rushed back into training and got reinjured. 

I don't think, with the exception of Williams and Chucks, any of the others could be described as injury prone before we got them so IMO the bargain basement argument is a red herring. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Saw Stephenson mentioned in a list of injured players, didn’t realise he’s on loan at Dagenham and played as recently as 28th December.

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=114870&season_id=152
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:

Freak injuries.

Taylor wasn’t injured whilst training with us.....Field I’m not sure about......Williams and Chucks injuries didn’t actually originate in training.
  • Options
    Can anyone who still owns a pair of football boots please make their way to Swansea in time for Thursday night , thank you!
  • Options
    Last night’s fixture was a classic example of my case that there is too much football, and that it harms players. Who needs to see another game after Boxing Day but before New Years Day? 
    Agreed but wasn’t that our New Year’s Day fixture moved for Sky? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:

Freak injuries.

Taylor wasn’t injured whilst training with us.....Field I’m not sure about......Williams and Chucks injuries didn’t actually originate in training.
    Yes they did. Both of them have NEW injuries that occurred in training and therefore originated in training. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:

Freak injuries.

Yes they did. Both of them have NEW injuries that occurred in training and therefore originated in training. 
    I understood they had aggravated the pre-existing injuries?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Last night’s fixture was a classic example of my case that there is too much football, and that it harms players. Who needs to see another game after Boxing Day but before New Years Day? 
    Agreed but wasn’t that our New Year’s Day fixture moved for Sky? 
    Don't think so mate, since we have Swansea on the 2nd!

We have/had games on

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:

Freak injuries.

I understood they had aggravated the pre-existing injuries?
    Nope Bowyer said that Chuks has injured a new, different muscle when they re-introduced him back into training...  

Williams pulled his hamstring having an air shot in training, it was his knee before that. 
  • Options
    Mind you, while replying to @Alwaysneil I suddenly remembered that i'm old enough to remember what used to happen at Easter. A game on Good Friday, then again on the very next day, and then on Easter Monday too!!

But the game was very different then. As people have said, you often saw us putting out the same XI more or less week after week. Injuries seemed a lot less common then, unless you came up against Jimmy Hill's Coventry City with that animal George Curtis at centre half. 

So I would say that the game has changed and the administrators have failed to take account of the physical demands of those changes; perhaps held back by the owners who see more and more games as simply "sweating the assets".

This might also be a factor in the under-performance, until very recently, of FAPL clubs in European competitions. 
  • Options
    To pick out one player, Lapslie came off the bench against Millwall (9th November) and hasn't been seen since with a hamstring problem. He's not been known as injury prone before, had a full pre season and has hardly been overworked.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Saw Stephenson mentioned in a list of injured players, didn’t realise he’s on loan at Dagenham and played as recently as 28th December.

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=114870&season_id=152
    and according to Wikipedia - had his loan extended on 5 December till 11 January which is odd given our lack of decent left backs!
  • Options
    I do not disagree with you, but the money players get paid nowadays I do not have much sympathy.

Squads of 25(?), should be able to cope.
  • Options
    I do not disagree with you, but the money players get paid nowadays I do not have much sympathy.

Squads of 25(?), should be able to cope.
    Well there are squads, and squads. In the last game we came up against a club which happily found £10m for Kristian Bielik. Chelsea have such a colossal number of kids like Gallagher that we can be confident they won’t ask for a recall - unless they start to worry we might knacker him by overplaying.