Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Subs v Derby

2»

Comments

• Bowyer said after QPR that Sarr was poor up front, didn’t win a single header and got lucky that the opposition player headed it into his path for the equaliser.

With that in mind, I’m not surprised he put Davison (the STRIKER) on instead.
    not sure saying that after he just grabbed us a point is the best thing to do, Naby can at least finish (not seen that from Davison)
  • Agree with what others have said - unless he was injured, Sarr should have been pushed forward. At least he knows where the goal is, and he’s definitely a physical presence in the area. 
  • You wait till you see the subs bench for the FA Cup game on Sunday 😳
    You’ve been given the nod along with Golfie and Leuth ? 
  • Bowyer said after QPR that Sarr was poor up front, didn’t win a single header and got lucky that the opposition player headed it into his path for the equaliser.

.....but Bowyer also said that Sarr is ‘one of the best finishers at the club’!
  • edited December 2019
    meldrew66 said:
    Bowyer said after QPR that Sarr was poor up front, didn’t win a single header and got lucky that the opposition player headed it into his path for the equaliser.

.....but Bowyer also said that Sarr is ‘one of the best finishers at the club’!
    He did but if you are going to go route 1 you need someone half decent with their nut. Granted he offers a nuisance value but if you want to create chances they need to be able to attack a ball in the air with purpose.

I forget which U23 game it was but I watched the 2nd half live on you tube and Davison who came through the Peterborough youth ranks, looked like an old fashioned CF, reasonable in the air with good hold up play. Bowyer must see this in training and feels he is worth a place on the bench but sadly his cameo performances haven't been all that thus far 😒.
  • edited December 2019
    Surely we are at a stage where nuisance value is pretty much what we need to be looking at. Seeing as the alternative seems to me to be no nuisance value!
  • Surely we are at a stage where nuisance value is pretty much what we need to be looking at. Seeing as the alternative seems to me to be no nuisance value!
    Totally disagree, why would you go for nuisance value when you have a striker on the bench who can head a ball properly and probably does in training which is why he is on the bench? Have you seen Davison play other than in short cameo appearances?
  • RedChaser said:
    Surely we are at a stage where nuisance value is pretty much what we need to be looking at. Seeing as the alternative seems to me to be no nuisance value!
    Totally disagree, why would you go for nuisance value when you have a striker on the bench who can head a ball properly and probably does in training which is why he is on the bench? Have you seen Davison play other than in short cameo appearances?
    I dont think bringing on the Striker is the issue.

Its taking off Nabby for him, why not bring off Solly or Purrington as they are non existing in the attacking half.
  • edited December 2019
    RedChaser said:
    I dont think bringing on the Striker is the issue.

Its taking off Nabby for him, why not bring off Solly or Purrington as they are non existing in the attacking half.
    I was following on from Callum's original post about Sarr not being a striker (poor up front were his actual words) but yes either of the full backs could have had the hook with Deji going to RB or Doughty to LB depending who was subbed.
  • Yh, agree and not just arguing for arguing sake but I watched Deji hiding from about 55mins and was screaming for him to be taken off.

He was hanging 
  • Sponsored links:

• I have no problem putting Davison on as he is a striker & therefore (should) be more likely to score if a chance falls to him.

However I am baffled why an experienced pro such as Ledley wasnt put on. Someone who has seen & done it and may just have a bit of nous about him. 

I would have taken Solly & Purrington off, put Dougherty at LB & moved Oshilaja to rb. Kept Sarr on to partner Lockyer in defence (and use him at set pieces for his height)
  • edited December 2019
    Matthews for Solly on 70 mins. 25 mins of touchline hugging probably wouldn't rule him out of the Swansea game. 

Or Ledley for Solly and push Oshilaja out to right back. 

Either move to see if we could get behind Derby. 

Bonne off as soon as he pulled up. They didn't seem to check him...just took his word that he was ok when he clearly wasn't. 

I know Sarr was on a yellow but at least he was bringing us forward and we had defensive shape. Not a coincidence that as soon as he was off we lost our shape and matey scored from where the left centre back would normally be.
  • When you start with the back 5 we had last night, only Lockyer has any real pace. So why Oshilaja and or Doughty weren't at the back doesn't make sense me especially when Derby had speedy tricky forwards who were playing on the break when they went down to 10 men.
  • It is wrong to write Davison off completely but I don't know if you have noticed but he has zero impact on games when he does come on. Zero! This is down to the level as it stands being well above him. Ideally you bring him on when you are two up and help him find the level, some will and some won't, but don't expect him to be able to dig you out of the shit. 
  • Croydon said:
    Should have put Taylor on as soon as they went to ten men, probably would have avoided Bonne’s injury if we had done that. Could have them taken him off again later once we’d turned it around.
    Would we have then lost Taylor to further injury?

Bowyer said pre-match that he didnt want to risk playing Taylor so soon after two 90min games
    Which no doubt means, the Medical team said Taylor shouldn't play more than 45 minutes?

Not really Bowyer's decision at all; he was just doing what he had been told.

• When Dempsey and Davison came on, Dempsey initially went to left back.  We were all over the shop and there was a corner shortly after where Dempsey in particular seemed to be unsure of where he was supposed to be playing.

Problem with having Solly as captain he is not vocal enough and doesn’t have the presence needed to rally the players at games like these.
  • 3 of those should have started, Matthews, Taylor and Pearce .. but is Matthews now so fragile at age 27 that he can't play more than one game a month ?
  • edited December 2019
    It is wrong to write Davison off completely but I don't know if you have noticed but he has zero impact on games when he does come on. Zero! This is down to the level as it stands being well above him. Ideally you bring him on when you are two up and help him find the level, some will and some won't, but don't expect him to be able to dig you out of the shit. 
    And how much service did our forwards get? Our midfield was overrun by a team down to 10 men - we could barely string a single pass together let alone an attacking move and on the rare occasion we did the final ball was rubbish. Only Gallagher offered anything and he badly needs a rest and was hacked to bits by Derby with 2 red card potential career ending challenges.

Like others I can't understand why Ledley wasn't used - he can surely pass better than Oshilaja who was playing out if position in defensive midfield which is Ledley's position.
  • Only words I have on this subject are " slim pickings " plus it's easy to be wise/unwise after the event. 

Regarding our bench for the Cup game, I'm sure I heard the name " Leaburn" whispered as we dined pre match in close proximity to Steve G & Matt S last night....

( That was before our group had a pic & positive chat with the latter ....) 
  • Only words I have on this subject are " slim pickings " plus it's easy to be wise/unwise after the event. 

Regarding our bench for the Cup game, I'm sure I heard the name " Leaburn" whispered as we dined pre match in close proximity to Steve G & Matt S last night....

( That was before our group had a pic & positive chat with the latter ....) 
    Carl or Tracey?
  • Sponsored links:

• Taylor for Bonne had to be done due to the injury. 

I have no problem with the changes Bow made as we had to try something and the options were limited. 

Personally if no one else was injured I’d have brought Matthews on for Solly as he is perhaps slightly better going forward. 

The other I’d have done would be Pearce for Purrington. 

Allowing us to go to a back 3 of Pearce Lockyer and Sarr, pushing Sarr forward for the last few minutes if needs be (Pratley or Deji dropping to cb, and Doughty would give us the extra width at wing back with Matthews compared to what Purrington and Solly offer.

Hopefully we wont’ have such limited options from the bench for much longer. Back Gallen and Bowyer in January and we’ll be ok.

Totally agree. 
  • Ledley being on the bench is pointless. There must be a contractual reason he’s not being brought on. Whether it’s a large appearance fee, or a trigger for a longer contract? It has to be something like that or it’d be a no brainer. 

No issue with Davison or Dempsey getting a chance. Both have done well for our u23s and its not their fault that they’re being exposed to the first team earlier than would be hoped. Dempsey had our best effort, but it’s the fresh legs that they’ve been used for, rather than an expectancy to change the game. 

Oshilaja and Sarr both looked knackered, so understand why both were withdrawn.