Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dry Jan / Vegan Jan/ Veggie Jan / No Smoking Jan (any other Jan intentations) Thread

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Dry Jan, third year running though didn't quite make it last year. January just had to have five weekends this year didn't it? I was drinking far too much by the end of last year, so hopefully this sets the reset button on habitual drinking in the evenings
  • Options
    I’m meat free again for Jan, all good so far 
    do you tend to just eat things without meat or go for the meat replacement products?

there are a few people at my work doing it but two in particular that I am pals with, one has spent a fortune on meat free meat and the other is making everything himself and reckons he's saving money.
  • Options
    Great work @Addickted2TheReds well done mate 
    Cheers mate - chuffed. 
  • Options
    Meat free also. Not been so good this year. Much harder with kids have had 2 meals with meat in as a result. 

Will probably continue as long as I can with it with just the odd meat based meal. 
  • Options
    do you tend to just eat things without meat or go for the meat replacement products?

there are a few people at my work doing it but two in particular that I am pals with, one has spent a fortune on meat free meat and the other is making everything himself and reckons he's saving money.
    You would definitely save money on making it all from scratch vs the meat free stuff. The substitutes can be expensive at the moment, though the quality and taste is getting much much better. 

I reckon I could count on one hand the amount of times I ate meat (not including fish) last year. Didn’t eat a lot of fish either but will be adopting similar rules with that this year. Only very good stuff, very rarely. 

Not perfect by any means but works for me. 
  • Options

You would definitely save money on making it all from scratch vs the meat free stuff. The substitutes can be expensive at the moment, though the quality and taste is getting much much better. 

I reckon I could count on one hand the amount of times I ate meat (not including fish) last year. Didn’t eat a lot of fish either but will be adopting similar rules with that this year. Only very good stuff, very rarely. 

Not perfect by any means but works for me. 
    the homemade meals sound better as well, yesterday we were talking and one of them is talking about eating meat free burger topped with meat free bacon and vegan mayo the other is talking about bruschetta followed by home made pumpkin ravioli in sage butter.

meat free rather than completely vegan is obviously much easier 
  • Options
    Fair play to all those going meat free, fish only would be my dream if I had the cash to eat good quality stuff. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Meat free also. Not been so good this year. Much harder with kids have had 2 meals with meat in as a result. 

Will probably continue as long as I can with it with just the odd meat based meal. 
    If you want some odd meat then try a saveloy.
  • Options
    Very modest resolution for me. No drinking Monday to Thursday this year, except when on holiday. 
  • Options
    Dry jan for me. Started off having a non alcoholic beer to keep the pangs away but tbh, im not really missing it. Certainly not missing hangovers etc. 

Cheltenham this sat will be a test as I do like an away day!! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Combination of both. A few meat substitutes, a bit of fish couple of times a week, or just use veg more. Don’t find it hard at all tbh, in fact look forward to eating differently for a month and it makes you think about planning your meals etc, but I wouldn’t want to give up meat full time. Certainly don’t spend more 
  • Options
    Just gone 4 days without smoking. The longest I haven’t smoked in 10 years.

Finding it easy so far, but big test tomorrow as I’ll be drinking for the first time since I decided to stop.

I downloaded an app to keep track of time since quitting/money saving/cigarettes not smoked and that is helping as I’m competitive and will hate to have to reset the numbers. 

Clearly too early for any massive physical benefits but it’s making me feel better mentally to be on the way to achieving something. Have felt very stagnated this year and struggling to progress with many things so this is good.

Anyway, early days yet...
    1 year, 0 cigarettes - cheers x
    Well done, a great achievement!

Two years smoke free for me now and I am now constantly nagging family/friends to stop, I hate the smell of smoke and do that stupid little cough if someone smokes near me  :D
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Managed to quit tobacco last Jan, trying to stop vapes now.

11 days so far 
    Stick with it. The longer you stop the easier it gets. 
  • Options
    The hardest thing about dry Jan is the people giving you shit for not drinking. Don't understand why people won't accept it, probably as it makes them feel bad about themselves! 
  • Options
    Dryish January in that I won't drink at home BUT will drink when out socially which will over halve my drinking intake for the month
    I do this every year and it works well - it's a realistic target. Reducing my alcohol intake, without turning January into a complete miseryfest! It's not as if I'll be out that much this month anyway...

My regular diet is reasonably healthy anyway, so I don't feel the need to actually give up anything. I normally have a meat free Monday, and have started bulking up stews and curries with pulses, to make them a bit healthier too.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Managed to quit tobacco last Jan, trying to stop vapes now.

11 days so far 
    Good work - keep going. Vaping is my problem. I’m down to 0% nicotine liquid, but can’t shake the habit. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    First time ever of trying dry Jan, just drinking 2 cups of coffee a day and then just water, about a litre a day.
    So far so good, but it does help that Mrs RM went completely tee-total in September 2020 just out of the blue, she's not touched a drop since, from being a regular wine drinker!
  • Options
    Good work. 
  • Options
    I think Old Trafford destroyed dry January for thousands of Charlton fans  😁
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Old Trafford destroyed dry January for thousands of Charlton fans  😁
    Did for me!
  • Options
    My Dont-be-a-fussy-bastard Jan going really well
  • Options
    Dry January took a hit on Tuesday/Weds morning. But I’m not going to beat myself up about it. 
    I was 77kgs pre covid, but 83 at Xmas, so no cakes/biscuits etc now. Knee injury put a halt to the running, so losing weight won’t be easy.