Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Swansea v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Didn't get to see the game but the scores on the doors are so erratic. How can Purrington get a couple of 5's and yet get 8's also Davidson 4.5 to 7.5 ?

Plus despite the spirit of the team tonight if both Bonne and Taylor are out surely we need two strikers in quickly and they don't come cheap.

Echo that Sam, we need fit quality strikers who are able to hit the ground running (and not get injured) Stevie Gallen and Lee need backing financially if we are too survive, but not crazy transfers and crazy wages, just good old common sense transfers please.
  • Options
    That will keep prospective buyers at bay until end of transfer window it's all a ploy.
  • Options
    My guess is it was chafing from his shorts running on his thigh.
  • Options
    Rubbing
  • Options
    Very fitting tribute to RD in that we played the 2nd half with basically kids in midfield & up front. He left us bereft of a squad & now the new owners can rebuild properly like it should have been done in the summer.

So proud of the lads tonight. 
    This is simply not true. We have a decent sized squad, no team can cope with 14 players injured - and add in Taylor again. The problems multiply when there are a ridiculous amount of games over Xmas and the players that you have left have to play and get no proper recovery time, and then they pick up injuries.
  • Options
    Whatever the reason Taylor was playing at 75% at best. Time willl tell of course but why did we look so much better second half? 
    Ask yourself these questions:

What was our issue first half, why was it that Swansea were having so much success?
    What formation did we play when Doughty came on?
    How did this combat the issues of the first half?

Here I think you will find your answer, and will realise that reason our midfield was being overrun and overloaded in the first half was nothing to do with our striker playing in a 4-4-2 diamond.
    And such changes could only be made by replacing Taylor? He has played in many different formations in his time with us. I’m not digging him out at all but it is odd to remove your talisman to make a change to the formation. Maybe it is an injury/ fitness issue. As I say we will find out and hopefully it is a case of Bowyer still protecting him.
    On one hand people moan about our injury crisis and medical team, on the other hand they moan because Taylor is taken off when we need a tactical change, and after playing another 45 minutes after coming back from injury during the busy Christmas period of games.

However because there were rumours he might be sold in the summer, and now this transfer window, and because he has a an ego and can be a melon on social media all of a sudden everyone is suddenly seeing stuff about his attitude on the pitch that is not there.
    I said he was playing at 75%. He clearly was. Didn’t mention his attitude just that there was a reason for his lethargy today. I didn’t buy it being a tactical change so mooted that it might be fitness/ injury. That’s what the club have said so there it is.
    In your original post you heavily implied that he was playing at 75% of his best (how do you even measure that?), and that there may be nefarious reasons behind that but only 'time will tell'. This was linked to our performance improving after he was substituted. 

I pointed out that we played better in the second half because of our formation change and not because Taylor went off the pitch. The way we were being overrun I think Bowyer would have made that change for the second half, and perhaps if Taylor had not injured himself maybe it would have been Davison who went off.
    I guess you judge someone’s ‘best’ by their previous performances and he was a long way off it tonight. I think it is fair to question whether it was attitudinal or physical. I backed this up by saying that I didn’t believe Taylor would be sacrificed for a tactical change given the team we had out tonight and therefore it would be for a different reason.
    Anyway, we now know he is injured and let’s hope he recovers soon and is back playing against WBA in the league.
    Fair enough, and thank you for that response. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would not be surprised if LB rests some of the players for the FA cup game and save them for the following week league fixture.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    I would love to have heard what Lee Bowyer said to them at half time. So poor in the first half but massively improved in the second. Winning challenges, being first to the second ball, creating chances. It looked like we were frightened in the first half and fearless in the second. The kids did us proud. Great to see Adam Matthews, Jason Pearce and Ben Purrington all give good performances too, after so many weeks of only Lockyer looking up for it. Deserved a point.

Finally, hats off to you travelling addicks. You were superb, from start to finish. 
    Probably, win the ball, keep the ball and think about your passes.
  • Options
    I wasn't so much as writing him off, more that if he isn't going to be fit for another month or two, there seems little point in keeping him, therefore surely we should just terminate his loan.

Nothing against the bloke (or Kayal for that matter), but if they can't get themselves fit, then surely there is no point them being here?

These next few weeks will reveal a lot about the new owners, and their attitude towards spending money, as without another 4-5 players brought in, we are heading towards relegation.

No matter how well, those young lads did tonight, or how good LB is, we need experienced hardened championship players to see us through until the end of the season.
  • Options
    I wasn't so much as writing him off, more that if he isn't going to be fit for another month or two, there seems little point in keeping him, therefore surely we should just terminate his loan.

Nothing against the bloke (or Kayal for that matter), but if they can't get themselves fit, then surely there is no point them being here?

These next few weeks will reveal a lot about the new owners, and their attitude towards spending money, as without another 4-5 players brought in, we are heading towards relegation.

No matter how well, those young lads did tonight, or how good LB is, we need experienced hardened championship players to see us through until the end of the season.
    Hemed isn’t a loan though. He is our player. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Calling someone “deadwood” sounds a lot Iike writing them off to me. And from Bowyer’s post match comments it sounds like Williams and Hemed are the two players closest to a return to match action. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Very fitting tribute to RD in that we played the 2nd half with basically kids in midfield & up front. He left us bereft of a squad & now the new owners can rebuild properly like it should have been done in the summer.

So proud of the lads tonight. 
    This is simply not true. We have a decent sized squad, no team can cope with 14 players injured - and add in Taylor again. The problems multiply when there are a ridiculous amount of games over Xmas and the players that you have left have to play and get no proper recovery time, and then they pick up injuries.
    Is it really true that other teams can't cope with 14 injured players? They would certainly have to count on their reserves but would they have to recall and field five young loaned out players?

Also you have to consider that rd forced us to sign injury prone players that other teams wouldn't risk getting.

We do not have a decent size squad  - just compare squad lists on the programmes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pleased with the second half performance, but frustrated that we didn't play like that on Monday against Derby, as against 10 men we surely would have picked up at least a point
  • Options
    I had £40 on us losing at 1/2 odds and cashed out when we bought Sarr on.  Great performance from the kids. We will stay up and Bowyer will do amazing things for us. Just hope i get my ‘dry January arse’ home cause i am wrecked.  F*ing love Charlton. 😀
  • Options
    A difficult first half, during which we could have gone in a couple of goals down, but a fine effort in the second from what must have been Charlton's youngest ever side for a league game at this (or maybe any) level. We got Swansea firmly on the back foot and just lacked that bit of quality and experience in the final third to take something from the game.

Let's hope Lyle Taylor's injury isn't too bad and that we can get some reinforcements in, as we really are now moving towards a relegation dogfight.
  • Options
    I had £40 on us losing at 1/2 odds and cashed out when we bought Sarr on.  Great performance from the kids. We will stay up and Bowyer will do amazing things for us. Just hope i get my ‘dry January arse’ home cause i am wrecked.  F*ing love Charlton. 😀

Never back us to lose. Bad karma man. 
  • Options
    PWR. Reminded me of the Forest game at The Valley. Except of course we don't get the equaliser in the second half...  
  • Options
    Apart from the Highbury smash and grab, that 45 may be the best performance I've seen from s Charlton side.
    Shame you didn't see the 1st half against Forest at the Valley. Best I have seen a Charlton team pass the ball and we went in 1-0 up. 
    HG, best performances have to include a goal and you don't lose. These are the rules.