Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v West Brom | FA Cup R3 | Sun 5 January | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

edited January 2020 in General Charlton
Charlton Athletic v West Bromwich Albion
The FA Cup 3rd Round
Sunday 5 January | Kick-Off: 14:01pm
Referee: David Webb

Introduction
After a spirited second half performance from our youngsters in the league at Swansea City, we turn our attentions to the oldest cup competition in the world, The FA Cup. The young players done themselves and the club proud and will get the chance to carry that on against the joint league leaders of our division, West Brom.

Fun Fact
West Brom were the first club to win The FA Cup with a completely English-born team back in 1888. 

Opposition
With West Brom being joint top of the league with Leeds United, and possessing a huge squad of players, it would be with expectation that Bilić will make a number of changes. However, West Brom making changes means instead of Robson-Kanu, they play Charlie Austin or Zohore, instead of Sawyers or Livermore, they play ultra experienced Gareth Barry. The gulf of quality in depth of squad between us and them right now is for all to see.

Winning is a habit that West Brom will want to continue. I am sure that they will want to progress into the next round of the competition without too many problems. It's with this in mind that I fully expect them to take this game seriously, rather than just a warm up ready for next week's clash with us in the league.

Charlton Team News
Predicting the team for a cup game is never east. This year, even with Bowyer saying he won't be making many changes, it's still a difficult task. With many injuries and games in quick succession, some players do need a rest. Tom Lockyer and Darren Pratley in particular have played practically every minute of every game recently and so a weekend off will do both the world of good. You could say the say for Conor Gallagher, however midfield is one of our major problems right now and I think he will be involved. This has to potential to be the youngest team we have ever fielded for an FA Cup game.

To help the depleted squad, we welcome Andre Green who is expected to be involved from the start and play against his parent club's local rivals. We also welcome back 3 young players. Brendan Wiredu has been on loan at Colchester, and Maloney on loan at Newport, both in League Two. Stevenson is the third after being on loan at Dagenham & Redbridge in the National League.

Phillips
Solly Oshilaja Sarr Purrington
Morgan
Wiredu Gallagher Maloney
Davison Green

Maynard-Brewer, Matthews, Pearce, Stevenson, Vennings, Ledley, Ocran

Prediction
An incredibly tough game but one the young players should approach without fear. There's no pressure on them to go and win the game, but know it's a learning experience and another opportunity to show their quality. However, West Brom will have too much of their own quality for us unfortunately.

Charlton Athletic 1-3 West Bromwich Albion
Green

Comments

• Options
    Think Bowyer will rest Gallagher and maybe start with Doughty instead of him. 
    I did consider exactly this, with us dropping to a 4-5-1 of Green and Doughty out wide. I just opted against it for this preview. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Think Bowyer will rest Gallagher and maybe start with Doughty instead of him. 
    I did consider exactly this, with us dropping to a 4-5-1 of Green and Doughty out wide. I just opted against it for this preview. 
    I think that's likely to be it, but as you mention hard to predict how Bowyer will set us up for this game, especially with all the injuries and players being recalled on loan.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Dempsey is cup-tied because he played in the First Round for Dulwich against Carlisle

Unless its different rules because of them being Non-League - Potentially worth swapping him for Doughty
  • Options
    Dempsey is cup tied. I imagine AMB will play in goal, we might as well give him a game.

The 3 returning loanees at least give us some more bodies. I'd be tempted to rest Gallagher as well, if we're level with 20 to go bring him on, but if we're comfortably losing (or winning!) rest his legs.
  • Options
    Phillips
    Solly, Oshilaja, Sarr, Purrington
    Jennings, Ledley, Maloney
    Green, Doughty 
    Davidson

Think Lockyer and Gallagher will get some needed and deserved rest, Bowyer said he can’t rest too many as it’s not fair on the kids but I think those two are essential.  Also see Morgan getting rested from the start but making a sub appearance, game has also got Ledley written all over it.

We all know what’s coming, it’s charlton, it’s an unflattering FA Cup tie, we have injuries, we have a manager who doesn’t see the cup as a priority (which is fine), although if we line up like so we have plenty of pace out wide, just don’t see our midfield coping against theres.

1-3 Sarr consolation.
  • Options
    Don't see why Maynard-Brewer would't be given a game
  • Options
    0-3
  • Options
    Maynard-Brewer
    Solly Sarr Stevenson Doughty
    Wiredu Oshilaja Ledley Maloney
    Davison Green

Is my random prediction based on the players on the bench last night and the players recalled from loans
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    The FA Cup 3rd Round
    Sunday 5 January | Kick-Off: 14:00pm

Introduction
    After a spirited second half performance from our youngsters in the league at Swansea City, we turn our attentions to the oldest cup competition in the world, The FA Cup. The young players done themselves and the club proud and will get the chance to carry that on against the joint league leaders of our division, West Brom.

Fun Fact
    West Brom were the first club to win The FA Cup with a completely English-born team back in 1888. 

Opposition
    With West Brom being joint top of the league with Leeds United, and possessing a huge squad of players, it would be with expectation that Bilić will make a number of changes. However, West Brom making changes means instead of Robson-Kanu, they play Charlie Austin or Zohore, instead of Sawyers or Livermore, they play ultra experienced Gareth Barry. The gulf of quality in depth of squad between us and them right now is for all to see.

Winning is a habit that West Brom will want to continue. I am sure that they will want to progress into the next round of the competition without too many problems. It's with this in mind that I fully expect them to take this game seriously, rather than just a warm up ready for next week's clash with us in the league.

Charlton Team News
    Predicting the team for a cup game is never east. This year, even with Bowyer saying he won't be making many changes, it's still a difficult task. With many injuries and games in quick succession, some players do need a rest. Tom Lockyer and Darren Pratley in particular have played practically every minute of every game recently and so a weekend off will do both the world of good. You could say the say for Conor Gallagher, however midfield is one of our major problems right now and I think he will be involved. This has to potential to be the youngest team we have ever fielded for an FA Cup game.

To help the depleted squad, we welcome Andre Green who is expected to be involved from the start and play against his parent club's local rivals. We also welcome back 3 young players. Brendan Wiredu has been on loan at Colchester, and Maloney on loan at Newport, both in League Two. Stevenson is the third after being on loan at Dagenham & Redbridge in the National League.

Phillips
    Maloney
    Morgan Gallagher Dempsey
    Davison Green

Maynard-Brewer, Matthews, Pearce, Stevenson, Wiredu, Vennings, Doughty

Prediction
    An incredibly tough game but one the young players should approach without fear. There's no pressure on them to go and win the game, but know it's a learning experience and another opportunity to show their quality. However, West Brom will have too much of their own quality for us unfortunately.

Green
    I don’t think anyone over 22 will start in this game.  
  • Options
    Lose 0-3, with the new era to begin the following week with a spirited 1-2 loss which will not dampen the mood. 
  • Options
    Definitely would start Maynard Brewer for experience. If he is deemed decent we can then release Amos and take another outfield player on loan. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Sage said:
    The FA Cup 3rd Round
    Sunday 5 January | Kick-Off: 14:00pm

Introduction

Fun Fact

Opposition

Charlton Team News

Phillips
    Maloney
    Morgan Gallagher Dempsey
    Davison Green

Maynard-Brewer, Matthews, Pearce, Stevenson, Wiredu, Vennings, Doughty

Prediction

Green
    I don’t think anyone over 22 will start in this game. Over 12 more like
  • Options
    Morgan had an ice pack strapped to his hamstring last night - doubt he’ll be risked.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    In life you get what you pay for ? That's why the tickets are £15 or under
    It will be a total team of youth but let's hope we dont get to much of a arse bashing that it knocks the confidence of the youngsters who have been doing brilliantly in bowyers 1st team of late and gives some of the others the vital experience to push on
  • Options
    In life you get what you pay for ? That's why the tickets are £15 or under
    It will be a total team of youth but let's hope we dont get to much of a arse bashing that it knocks the confidence of the youngsters who have been doing brilliantly in bowyers 1st team of late and gives some of the others the vital experience to push on
    Bowyer has already said he wont put a youth team out to get hammered. 
  • Options
    Dempsey is indeed cup tied, so I’ve edited the team accordingly.

This is very difficult to predict the team but definitely going to be a real challenge for these young players. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If ever there was a game to play Ledley then it should be this one. I think Bowyer does not mind if we lose this one , and with all the kids playing maybe having that old head to guide them through (even if he is shot to bits) would be helpful. 
  • Options
    Shame we are not in a better position to give this match a good go. But then we never do cup games, 1-0 to West Brom in a tight dull affair.
  • Options
    If you're going, bring your boots. 
  • Options
    redman said:
    Definitely would start Maynard Brewer for experience. If he is deemed decent we can then release Amos and take another outfield player on loan. 
    Amos isn't on loan. 
  • Options
    it makes you wonder why LB keeps putting Ledley on the bench if he has no intention of playing him. If he is not fit, what is the point?
  • Options
    Charlton Toddlers 0  v  West Brom reserves 2
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    it makes you wonder why LB keeps putting Ledley on the bench if he has no intention of playing him. If he is not fit, what is the point?
    I am slightly miffed by this. Without knowing the intricacies of high level football, I find it hard to imagine that Ledley as regressed so much that he is not worth even 30 minutes in our injury ravaged team.

I can think of a few reasons why he has not played any minutes since we signed him and he played that one half.

1. He really is shot as a footballer, an Bowyer thinks he will do more damage then good if he played

2. He is not showing the attitude or desire to play in training that Bowyer demands from his players

3. He is shot as a footballer, but Bowyer wanted him in around the squad in a mentoring capacity for all the kids we have to play

4. He was an RD signing that Bowyer never wanted. 
  • Options
    Fancy Green to get a debut goal. Although see it as a mere consolation goal. 
  • Options
    Not going so I think we'll win.

2-0.