Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Re The possibility of a football stadium on the Peninsula?

2»

Comments

• I don't think the road network would be able to cope with any new stadium, not that we need one 
  • Nice field next to Ebbsfleet station which would make our away games in Europe easy to get too, and of course for our international supporters across Europe to get to us. Paramount development just down the road. Perfect.
  • University of Greenwich Athletics Ground Westhorne Avenue SE9......rail line runs right past it and a station could easily be built there.
    Always thought it would be a great location for a large football stadium.
  • University of Greenwich Athletics Ground Westhorne Avenue SE9......rail line runs right past it and a station could easily be built there.
    Always thought it would be a great location for a large football stadium.
    Owned by Blackheath Rugby Club
  • The 27,111 Valley is our home.
  • It was an old map and the stadium in question was supposed to be a 40k capacity multiuse arena but that's been shelved.

We had the opportunity to buy the Dome and turn it into a stadium in 2000 but we turned it down in favour of renovating The Valley, would have been an iconic arena had we kept the features of the arena intact, but I doubt it would have been much bigger than 30k capacity 
  • Is there enough space in the Peninsula now?

So much housing going up compared to when the initial rumours came out - Id question if they could fit a huge stadium over there
    Buy and demolish the O2, build our new stadium there  :D
    That lacks ambition, build stadium over the 02
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't think the road network would be able to cope with any new stadium, not that we need one 

Who cares about the roads? Everyone knows we're all about the trains at Charlton..............
  • It  is quite simple for me, I support Charlton that play at the Valley, that is why I never went to  Selhurst or Upton Park, my loss no doubt, but I was born In Charlton, and grew up there till 20 could have supported Arsenal or West ham, after all most of the other kids did at the time!.
     I do remember being the only kid with a CAFC shirt at the time when at Sherrington, but that was because they did not make replica kits, my grandfather got one specially made at Nobles , and stitch  a robins badge on it at the time, playing in Charlton Park.
     Said this before, a move to the peninsular is not realistic, despite  what the 'spivs' were trying to pass off, under the previous regime. The MP at the time said it was not going to happen.

Do I trust RBG, of course not.

Can we develop the Valley, highly unlikely, unless they bought the houses around the stadium in my opinion,( and discussions with the RBG planning office 5 years ago) but  who can  ever say never. As for the development of Sparrows Lane, and  playing there, not sure that is a realistic as well, but again.....

Why not develop the Valley, knock down the Jimmy Seed, fill in the corners, the police control room could be moved, ( car park) that is if the new owners have money to do that..... think I would prefer investment in the squad myself though first. 
  • He's right!  There it is! 
  • Oh, hang on a minute...
  • Is there enough space in the Peninsula now?

So much housing going up compared to when the initial rumours came out - Id question if they could fit a huge stadium over there
    Who said it had to be huge??
    Down size??
    Average attendance over last 5 years??
  • colthe3rd said:
    Got more chance of being dumped out in deepest darkest Kent somewhere instead of over the Peninsula, personally can't see a move there being financially viable
    Would be interested in seeing your budget forecast for this one.
    Just an opinion mate, based on the theory that residential development brings in more money than sports stadiums and, what little land is left down on the Peninsula, would command a premium price? Meaning imo we might as well stay put in our ancestral home.

Have you got a budget forecast that says otherwise then?
    No but then I'm not basing an opinion on no facts at all. There are many many factors that would dictate whether a club (or any business for that matter) would make financial sense in moving to the peninsula. Without access to those it's pretty much impossible to make a suggestion on how profitable it would be. Many reasons for not wanting us to move there, this is way way down the list and even then I'd like to think that those running the club now have a better idea on what will benefit the club financially than a few people on an internet forum.

Just an opinion though.
  • colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Got more chance of being dumped out in deepest darkest Kent somewhere instead of over the Peninsula, personally can't see a move there being financially viable
    Just an opinion mate, based on the theory that residential development brings in more money than sports stadiums and, what little land is left down on the Peninsula, would command a premium price? Meaning imo we might as well stay put in our ancestral home.

No but then I'm not basing an opinion on no facts at all. There are many many factors that would dictate whether a club (or any business for that matter) would make financial sense in moving to the peninsula. Without access to those it's pretty much impossible to make a suggestion on how profitable it would be. Many reasons for not wanting us to move there, this is way way down the list and even then I'd like to think that those running the club now have a better idea on what will benefit the club financially than a few people on an internet forum.

Just an opinion though.
    So, like me, it's just an opinion and you haven't carried out or commissioned a budget forecast. Thanks for clering that up
  • colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

Just an opinion though.
    So, like me, it's just an opinion and you haven't carried out or commissioned a budget forecast. Thanks for clering that up
    What I have to provide facts and evidence for me not having an opinion on something? 
  • colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

Just an opinion though.
    What I have to provide facts and evidence for me not having an opinion on something? 
    And I have to produce a "budget forecast", on demand, for having an opinion?
  • colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

Just an opinion though.
    If people state an opinion they usually back it up with something. 
  • Sponsored links:

• colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

Just an opinion though.
    If people state an opinion they usually back it up with something. 
    I did, I said "Just an opinion mate, based on the theory that residential development brings in more money than sports stadiums and, what little land is left down on the Peninsula, would command a premium price? Meaning imo we might as well stay put in our ancestral home." That's just backing up my opinion, I'm not stating anything as fact, as I never do.

• Here we go again... Not sure about this, would be a bit of a commute