Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We Didn't Sack Curbishley!!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Think you mean Billy Davies?

He didn't turn us down. Just failed to reply to the offer, I believe.
  • Options
    Think you mean Billy Davies?

He didn't turn us down. Just failed to reply to the offer, I believe.
    Apologies, you're right.

Although was it Ian Wright...........
  • Options
    Also bollox to Parker. 
    No I haven't forgiven him
    I hate the c***
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    "The club wanted to give me the best possible sendoff, and although I would have liked to have got a result today, it's a day that I will cherish.
    "There is no sinister plot behind this decision, it's just that I think it's the best thing for Charlton and for me.
    "It only happened at 5pm on Friday and the first my staff knew about it was when we arrived at the ground today - the players only knew 15 minutes before the game because we wanted to keep it as quiet as possible.
    "I wanted to honour my contract but my decision is based on what is best for the club.
    "It's an amicable situation, but I think both Richard and I realised the marriage was going to break up, although we will remain the best of friends.”

Things could've been different had Murray just let Curbs stay on for another year and prepare properly for a smoother transition. Biggest mistake Murray has made for Charlton.
  • Options
    Curbs knew the squad had a limited time left in the Premiership. He told Murray that they could remain at that level if he had a limited strengthening to the squad, I believe around £4M for two players. Murray said no, Curbs said no point in me staying. Murray employed Dowie who “ wasted” over £12M on rubbish,
    thats what very good authority has told me.
  • Options
    There was a logic in Murray letting Curbs go. Curbs had after all declared he was going to leave and his general demeanor lacked some positivity. Under those circumstances, another year may not have been successful. Where I think Murray went wrong was he started to believe the publicity. He was widely considered to be the best or at least one of the best chairman in the country at the time. We now know that the important reason for our success and Murray's success was that he identified the right man and supported that man to run the club.

It went wrong IMO when Murray thought the reason for the success was him. He changed the way the club did things and Dowie was not appointed to the same role that Curbs had. He would have been better off trying to emulate the structure under Curbs and try to achieve as much continuity, with Curbs providing an advisory role if possible. 
  • Options
    I was one of those who thought he’d taken us as far as he could and was frustrated that we never took the cups seriously, opportunities that clubs of a similar size (Ipswich, Boro, Bolton, Fulham, Southampton etc) or smaller (Millwall) did and were rewarded with Europe.

Just because someone thought it was time for him to go, does not mean they were wrong. It means subsequent decisions were wrong.

And I’m still here home and away.