Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Preston v Charlton | Sat 18 Jan | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Despite all the negativity around here from some peeps...I think Bowyer & the team he puts out will just have enough in there locker to come away with a very hard fought 1-2 victory, with Sarr scoring at the right end along with Green...

then it’s back to proper transfer & contract biz on Monday...

Cmon U Addicks...!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Don’t get me wrong, obviously it would be great to get bods through the door...but is anyone watching Fulham Boro? 100% we can beat this lot Wednesday!!
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I think Gallen and Bowyer would have wanted players in. They can't have a moan about it in their positions, I can. You don't disrespect any points in our situation. That is my belief and If I'm wrong I'm wrong but I do feel strongly about it.
  • Options
    I think Gallen and Bowyer would have wanted players in. They can't have a moan about it, I can.
    Yep, I'm 100% certain Gallen & Bowyer would have wanted players in. 
  • Options
    Great, so I don't think they are cretins obviously!
  • Options
    Great, so I don't think they are cretins obviously!
    But you think they should have signed players they didn't think were of sufficient quality, rather than be patient and try and get who they would prefer? 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Surely the issue is we have made 3 offers according to Steve Gallen and one was knocked back because the player asks for another 1k. The Blackpool striker, we said forget it when his price had gone up by 100% according to Southall since the August Window. And last but not least Marcus Madison who despite buzzing about meeting Bowyer rejected the offer.

So I imagine no one thinks Bowyer and Gallen are cretins on CL and they will do their best to get a few players in but the point is the players they have earmarked are asking for too high wages or the transfer fee is too high. 
    So the longer this goes on you go for your 2nd choice or 3rd choice, by the time say John Bostock comes in you are taking an enormous risk on a player who at 27 has had a very patchy career after leaving Palace. ( This is just an example of a player that various national papers have linked us with)

If I was a neutral I would go 2-1 to Preston if we play well. As a Charlton fan I'm going for 2-1 to Preston.
    If Bonne,Taylor, Cullen, Williams and Field were 100% fit and starting tomorrow then I would go 2-1 Charlton. 

Nothing to do with negativism but all to do with Football knowledge when Charlton put out a weakened side away from home.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    You're assuming that and making it a choice. It isn't as if the squad couldn't take a couple of squad players in now who at this moment in time offer more than Vennings or Dempsey on top of Bale and Messi at the end of the window. If I was in their position I wouldn't be undermining the owner openly, but like I said, I have the advantage of being able to call something that doesn't look right as I see it. Let's agree to disagree. 

If I am seeing it wrong and we don't come out of our next two pointless and really deep in it, I will be as delighted as everybody else!
  • Options
    I know Fulham have lost the mighty Serb but what was the thinking of bringing the game forward to the 22nd if Taylor and Bonne aren't fit ?  I don't think Fulham will put out a reserve side for the League match because of the cup game on the 25th.
    Baffling, if it really was our decision and not the EFL ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know Fulham have lost the mighty Serb but what was the thinking of bringing the game forward to the 22nd if Taylor and Bonne aren't fit ?  I don't think Fulham will put out a reserve side for the League match because of the cup game on the 25th.
    Were targeting the Barnsley game 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    You're assuming that and making it a choice. It isn't as if the squad couldn't take a couple of squad players in now who at this moment in time offer more than Vennings or Dempsey on top of Bale and Messi at the end of the window. If I was in their position I wouldn't be undermining the owner openly, but like I said, I have the advantage of being able to call something that doesn't look right as I see it. Let's agree to disagree. 

If I am seeing it wrong and we don't come out of our next two pointless and really deep in it, I will be as delighted as everybody else!
    I think there's a high chance of coming out of our next two pointless and being really deep in it.
    I thought we would be in a relegation battle back in October, when many were still talking about promotion.

But I do believe we have been doing our best to get in the players we want and as soapboxsam says, there becomes a point where you have to go for your second choices and finally your third or fourth choices, your Parker & Dodoos.

But with 2 weeks to go, I still think it's too early to give up and go for the 3rd rate players, just because they offer a bit more than Vennings or Dempsey.

I should imagine those level of players will still be available in 2 weeks if we haven't been able to get in our preferred options.

Yes, let's agree to differ.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I'm not giving up. I am being critical of what I have seen so far of ESI. Not from Bowyer or Gallen as I am immensely impressed with what they have done for the club. If things start getting significantly better, I will be as happy as I was when I first heard the news of the takeover. I don't understand what the rush was to own us in the January window was if they are going to give us a Roland window!

Ok, it hasn't ended yet. We have no choice but to hope it ends well. It is a perfectly valid position to be concerned at this time tough, even if you don't share it.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I'm not giving up. I am being critical of what I have seen so far of ESI. Not from Bowyer or Gallen as I am immensely impressed with what they have done for the club. If things start getting significantly better, I will be as happy as I was when I first heard the news of the takeover. I don't understand what the rush was to own us in the January window was if they are going to give us a Roland window!

Ok, it hasn't ended yet. We have no choice but to hope it ends well. It is a perfectly valid position to be concerned at this time tough, even if you don't share it.
    I'll share your level of concern if we're not 2/3 decent players better off when the widow closes.
    90% of business is yet to be done.

• Options
    Is Amos fit now then? Didn't realise that. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Apparently so.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Apparently so.
    Been in training all this week so one could assume he is good to travel. Barely mentioned because he’s not outfield and Phillips has been doing well.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    clb74 said:
    If we were only given the 22nd or the 28th to play the League game then that does make sense. Thanks @clb74 for pointing that out but did we just have those 2 dates to chose from ?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Sage said:
    At the moment, as in tomorrow’s game, we can pick an 18 man squad of:

Phillips, Amos, Maynard-Brewer
    Matthews, Solly
    Lockyer, Oshilaja, Sarr, Pearce
    Purrington, Doughty
    Pratley, Cullen, Forster-Caskey, Dempsey
    Williams, Oztumer, Morgan, Vennings
    Hemed, Green, Davison

With Page, Field, Aneke, and Taylor all close behind.

Compare that to the team we had at the end of November, or for the most part of last couple of months, and that’s miles better than it has been.

I honestly think people need to chill. Players will be coming in. That is a certainty. We just need to make sure the players coming in are better than what we have, or just as good as the senior pros. Otherwise there is absolutely no point in bringing just anyone in, and they just won’t do it either.

Now, let’s focus on the situation in hand, and that’s the 3 points tomorrow in Preston. We will do this. 
    I agree that the squad looks better and by Barnsley it will probably be better as the returning players get up to speed. And of course if we don't get new injuries. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    At the moment, as in tomorrow’s game, we can pick an 18 man squad of:

Phillips, Amos, Maynard-Brewer
    Matthews, Solly
    Lockyer, Oshilaja, Sarr, Pearce
    Purrington, Doughty
    Pratley, Cullen, Forster-Caskey, Dempsey
    Williams, Oztumer, Morgan, Vennings
    Hemed, Green, Davison

With Page, Field, Aneke, and Taylor all close behind.

Compare that to the team we had at the end of November, or for the most part of last couple of months, and that’s miles better than it has been.

I honestly think people need to chill. Players will be coming in. That is a certainty. We just need to make sure the players coming in are better than what we have, or just as good as the senior pros. Otherwise there is absolutely no point in bringing just anyone in, and they just won’t do it either.

Now, let’s focus on the situation in hand, and that’s the 3 points tomorrow in Preston. We will do this. 
    I agree that the squad looks better and by Barnsley it will probably be better as the returning players get up to speed. And of course we don't get new injuries. 
    The time between Fulham and Barnsley at home is crucial. It is such a good opportunity to get players ready, get deals across the line, and have a much better and healthier squad for the remainder of the season.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    clb74 said:
    If we were only given the 22nd or the 28th to play the League game then that does make sense. Thanks @clb74 for pointing that out but did we just have those 2 dates to chose from ?
    I thought I read that we went for the later date at first and then did a quick about turn in favour of the 22nd which both Fulham and the EFL agreed to.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    clb74 said:
    I thought I read that we went for the later date at first and then did a quick about turn in favour of the 22nd which both Fulham and the EFL agreed to.
    Unless I'm mistaken I don't think Fulham had a choice as we're the home team. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Talal said:
    RedChaser said:
    clb74 said:
    Not aware of that but my main point was we originally chose the later date and the quick about turn which hasn't  gone down well with some fans to bring the game forward makes sense for the additional recovery time it gives an opportunity for new signings if targeting the Barnsley game.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Talal said:
    RedChaser said:
    clb74 said:
    Not aaare of that but my main point was we chose the later date which hasn't  gone down well with some fans and the quick about turn makes sense for the additional time it gives and opportunity for new signings if targeting the Barnsley game.
    Sure, makes sense. 
  • Options
    Who’s turn is it to get injured tomorrow ?
  • Options
    Who’s turn is it to get injured tomorrow ?
    When was the last time Cafc played a match and all 18 in the squad were fit for the next match ? I would imagine August if at all this season. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Looks as though Dempsey is in the squad for tomorrow, going by Williams’ Instagram story... if so, who misses out?
  • Options
    Absolutely buzzing that Cullen might get minutes