Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

He comes from Senegal...

WSSWSS
edited July 2007 in General Charlton
Charlton Athletic stopper Souleymane Diawara is on the verge of a move away from the relegated London side.

His agent Roger Boli has exclusively revealed to setanta.com that a host of clubs have made firm approaches for the player.

Bundesliga giants Borussia Dortmund appear to be in pole position to sign the African ace, who is interested in moving to Germany.

"That is true that we have been solicited by lots of clubs" Boli told setanta.com.

"I have to meet Souleymane this week, as he is back from holidays. We will study his options, but for the moment we are waiting."

He added: "There is a real interest from Dortmund. Souleymane could be interested to join them and play in the Bundesliga."

Comments

• Options
    Translated from Agent speak this means.

"So far I've only been able to get Dortmund interested so I need to pretend lots of clubs are interested to get my agents fee up"
  • Options
    I'd be very sad to see Souly go - could have been our lynchpin in the CCC. A lot more experience and winning mentality than all the other centre backs on our books.
  • Options
    the beer is good in Dortmund
  • Options
    Coventry not in for him yet?
  • Options
    He comes from Senegal,
    He'll pass to Fritz ze ball !!
  • Options
    Isn't Roger Boli the brother of Basil Boli and "allegedly" implicated in the whole Marseille corruption scandal? If so seems perfect training for being an agent.
  • Options
    Still holds the 'worst defensive performance ever seen' title in my experience of watching football, that night against Wycombe.Atrocious.I know he turned it around later on, but wont be too sad to see him go.
  • Options
    very true Henry
  • Options
    The Soulman gave 100% and showed determination more times than most of last season's team.
  • Options
    Let him go, lets get rid of all the Dowie disasters and start again.

I don't buy into this "he turned it round" bollocks. He was fecking total crap when he came and, from what I saw, improved only marginally as the season wore on. He was still prone to some terrible clangers and losses of concentration and his passing was shite.

Don't forget that come the end of the season Pards was leaving him out of the side and even the squad so he can't be that big of a fan either.

If we can offload Diawara and Faye then we will have purged ourselves of the Dowie era disasters, albeit at a hefty price.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i know but he was 3.7million....an awful lot...i cant help feelin we have to keep him until at least xmas...u never know........
  • Options
    Yes, but he'll be on Prem size wages (along with Faye) so as long as we get some dough from whoever takes him (even 2 mil) then I will be OK with it.

I would not want to see him leave on a free, though. Might be that he gets loaned out for a year with someone else paying his wages and also putting him in the shop window.
  • Options
    NOOOOOOOOOO this guys an absolute man mountain. Reckon he showed glimpses of real class and despite sometimes seeming a bit off the pace at times, I was looking forward to him helping us bounce right back up next season. Proper defender, takes the ball the man and anything else that stands in his way. Love him.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Translated from Agent speak this means.

"So far I've only been able to get Dortmund interested so I need to pretend lots of clubs are interested to get my agents fee up"[/quote]

Dortmund have lost Christoph Metzelder to Real Madrid and definitely need a centre-back.
  • Options
    You are all probably wasting your time discussing he's football credentials because this will be a financial issue, if a bid meets the board’s approval his gone.
  • Options
    no great loss to be honest.

yeah he started coming good near the end despite what ormiston says but he was'n t "great"
  • Options
    I see my prediction is coming true - Diawara, Young, Romm, thomas, etc all going, I think I said 7-9m might be a bit ott...

:)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]no great loss to be honest.

yeah he started coming good near the end despite what ormiston says but he was'n t "great"[/quote]

Thing is Ledge that he was so bad to begin with that he could hardly get worse, could he? Remember the Wigan game when he stood off Forlan and let him have a free shot from the edge of the box? What about the Sheffield Utd game where he gave away TWO free kicks on the edge of our box with crazy challenges?

If he was that good then Pards would not have dropped him towards the end of the season in favour of Elk/HH/Magic.

Getting rid of his likely 20k per week wages and even recouping half his fee would be a result for us.

He just seems to melt under heavy aerial pressure (Wigan away) which is just no good to us in the CCC which is why Pards has brought in McCarthy to bolster the back four.
  • Options
    He was injured at the end of the season, wasn't he? And guess what, once he was out we started leaking goals again. Agree he was shaky to begin with and off the pace, but as the season wore on and he got used to the English game he became a rock and nearly helped us turn the season round.

I have seen nothing to suggest that Magic has what it takes, and the new signings are all unproven too. Centre half is a critical position - esp if we have an inexperienced keeper too.

I don't know for sure, but others have suggested before that he may not actually be that highly paid, since we signed him from a medium-sized French club. Agree the fee was OTT, but can't blame Souley himself for that...
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    I have seen nothing to suggest that Magic has what it takes, and the new signings are all unproven too.
    Do you really think that? If so, it's quite an indictment of Pards particularly since he bought Magic as potentially a Premiership player. I thought he did pretty well on debut at Old Trafford.
    I reckon Souley's got talent but he's also got the wrong mentality for CAFC, especially in the Championship.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    still think Magic was an odd purchase, a loan signing would have done the job, or were we up to the limit?
  • Options
    I guess Pards had little money to work with in Jan and, I'd agree as a Premiership purchase it looked a gamble although our defending (from midfield as well) had been pretty desperate before Xmas. Something had to be done to bolster it and Thatcher and Magic were pretty good attempts to do so with the limited finance available.
    Sheff Wed were pretty pissed off to lose him and in the Championship he is a proven performer.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    I have seen nothing to suggest that Magic has what it takes, and the new signings are all unproven too.
    Do you really think that?

Yes, Peanuts, I really do think that. I'm not as head over heels enamoured by Pards and his signings as some are (though don't see any better options as manager at the moment). I've not seen a lot of Magic yet, but am concerned that he doesn't have the composure which is critical in that position. He got badly caught out several times. He wasn't that cheap either!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    I have seen nothing to suggest that Magic has what it takes, and the new signings are all unproven too.[/quote]
    Do you really think that?[/quote]

Yes, Peanuts, I really do think that. I'm not as head over heels enamoured by Pards and his signings as some are (though don't see any better options as manager at the moment). I've not seen a lot of Magic yet, but am concerned that he doesn't have the composure which is critical in that position. He got badly caught out several times. He wasn't that cheap either![/quote]

Fair enough. Time will tell but I have a sneaking feeling Magic will be a star next season.... famous last words.
  • Options
    I do hope you're right, by the way!
  • Options
    Actually, Pardew confirmed in several post match interviews that Diawara was not injured towards the end of the season but was simply left out.

Meanwhile, the jury may still be out on Bougherra but in all fairness the bloke has only played about 5 games, if that.
  • Options
    i also follow the jury out on Bougherra camp.

He was big money for a centre half, one that isn't dominent at that. He needs to have a good start to the season, and importantly remain injury free.

I take it that Bougherra and McCarthy is going to be the first choice pairing ?
  • Options
    I would say so AFKA. Although with Powell coming back I can see Thatcher slotting into centre-half (where I think he may be better suited) as well with either Bougherra or McCarthy alongside. Powell would have been better at left-back than HH, Traore or Thatcher last season.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I think Pards by this stage already has his back four sorted.

Thatcher, Bougherra, McCarthy, U21 french dood - with Fortune, Sankofa, Powell, Semedo, Tanska as backup.

Oops I forgot the legendary Cory Gibbs!
  • Options
    So Youngy & Dear Dora definately gone then?