Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Greenwich Park questions

2»

Comments

• Options
    I believe there's another sight-line to St Paul's in Richmond Park. Also, the story I heard when I lived near Greenwich Park was that the statue became a popular target for German pilots and was hit on more than one occasion as they tried to topple the General. Could just be an exaggeration though. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    From that article, what a spectacular photo this is. Greatest city on earth? You bet it is.

Vista of Greenwich Park and London Picture The Royal Parks
    Greatest borough on Earth  :)
  • Options
    One thing I'd like to know about Greenwich Park is why the cafe by the play area/sandpit is never bloody open? That place should be a goldmine in the summer!
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    One thing I'd like to know about Greenwich Park is why the cafe by the play area/sandpit is never bloody open? That place should be a goldmine in the summer!

Absolutely agree.

Opens way too late, and closes way too early. I only assumed this must be a licencing issue because like you said, they'd be making a killing if they opened for longer.

• Options
    Rizzo said:

Absolutely agree.

Opens way too late, and closes way too early. I only assumed this must be a licencing issue because like you said, they'd be making a killing if they opened for longer.

Take the kids there quite a lot in the summer and I think that place has only ever been open once. Missing a trick there!
  • Options
    I was told the story about the German fighter strafing the Wolfe statue when I was a kid and have told my own kids the same story.

I tried doing a bit of research into it not so long ago and it turns out it might just be an urban myth. The explanation i read was that the observatory took a hit during an air raid and the damage on the statue was more likely to be shrapnel from that.

Must admit, I was disappointed. I prefer the other story best.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    From that article, what a spectacular photo this is. Greatest city on earth? You bet it is.

Vista of Greenwich Park and London Picture The Royal Parks
    What a great photo. Love that view. Love it.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I was told the story about the German fighter strafing the Wolfe statue when I was a kid and have told my own kids the same story.

I tried doing a bit of research into it not so long ago and it turns out it might just be an urban myth. The explanation i read was that the observatory took a hit during an air raid and the damage on the statue was more likely to be shrapnel from that.

Must admit, I was disappointed. I prefer the other story best.
    I must admit that is what I had heard and posted further up the thread. Pure supposition now but I would have expected that the flat area behind the Queens House would have been the site of AA guns which would mean that German fighters would be taking an enormous risk in peeling off and attacking General Wolfe from either direction. I am sure someone will know if I’m completely wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Regarding St Paul's, this is correct. There are several protected view points of it across London, including one north east of the General Wolfe statue.
    According to Wiki there are 13 protected views in London
  • Options
    I was told by lining up with the road leading to the statue the planes would be pointing at the docks on the isle of dogs. The statue was just in the way.
  • Options
    Also,
    that Danson lake was drained and moved out to kent because the Germans were using it as a marker.
  • Options
    I was told by lining up with the road leading to the statue the planes would be pointing at the docks on the isle of dogs. The statue was just in the way.
    Not doubting the veracity of your post but didn’t the German bombers fly into London by using the River Thames as a pathway and guide ?
  • Options
    The air raids were also carried out at night so unlikely that General Wolfe would have been visible at all ?
  • Options
    Not doubting the veracity of your post but didn’t the German bombers fly into London by using the River Thames as a pathway and guide ?
    Would be too predictable i would have thought.
  • Options
    The air raids were also carried out at night so unlikely that General Wolfe would have been visible at all ?
    There were many daylight bombing raids on London.

My father worked in the Arsenal during the war and was walking down a service road when a Messerschmitt strafed the road - he had to dive to the side and saw the bullets hit the surface beside him.