Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What ground is this?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Amazing how people can recall details from a game in 1963 and i struggle to remember 2003
  • Options
    Amazing how people can recall details from a game in 1963 and i struggle to remember 2003
    I struggle to remember last week. 😥
  • Options

A bit of a guess but is that the South African winger Cliff Durant?
    It's actually Brian Kinsey SoundAs!! Charlton v Southampton circa '62
    Are you 100% sure that’s Brian......never would have said that was him?
    I thought it was Cliff Durrant as well.
    Cliff Durrant didn't play in that match, so it is almost certainly Brian.
    A bit picky, I know, but Durandt was spelt like this not like that, if you get what I mean. I must admit it does look like Cliff.

• Options
    Cliff Durandt signed for Charlton in March 1963 (after the abandoned game against Southampton). 
  • Options
    I went to the 1-1 all game at northfleet. It was flaming freezing and the local brass monkeys were in serious trouble.
  • Options
    Incidentally, that was Dec 14th 1963....2-2. During ‘the big freeze’ of 63.

• Options
    Incidentally, that was Dec 14th 1963....2-2. During ‘the big freeze’ of 63.
    The photo was a match that was abandoned in January '63 with Charlton 1-0 up. It was replayed late in the season when the games caught up after the Dec-Mar freeze. It's not the 2-2 game which was played the following season.
    I stand corrected....thanks for that.
  • Options
    Possibly the wrong thread, but I remember the 1963 winter with mixed feelings.  Having just left the Navy a couples of years earlier, I was working for my Father in Billingsgate Market, and by heck, it was cold, I slipped on some ice, and fell awkwardly, and have had back problems ever since.  Later that winter, about early March, my Wife, some friends, and I went on an enthusiasts special from Waterloo to the West Country, with "Mallard" no the front.  All the way down, the fields on either side of the line were still deep in snow.  Because of the weather, our train was turned short at Exeter.  With the return leg of the jouney to Paddington,  a Western crew took over the locomotive.  On the down part of the trip, the Southern Region crew had no problem with an A 4 locomotive, being used to the Southern's Bullied pacifics.  But, for the Western lads, an A4 is nothing like a "King" or a "Castle" to drive or fire, and all the way back to Paddinton, every time the driver opened the regulator hard, half the fire seemed to be sucked up the chimney, and thrown on to the roofs or carrages behind.  I often wonder what the fireman was saying under his breath, or perhaps out loud even, about his mate loosing his fire up the chimney every so often.
    I think Charlton had a home game that Saturday, but as a true Addick, I wasn't going to miss a run behind "Mallard" before she was withdrawn from main line sevice.  I can't now remember the Charlton result that day, but, as I wasn't there, and missed the match, we proberbly won. Always happens.