Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez - Premier League winner

Looking at Liverpool tonight, looks like Joe will get a Premier League winners medal soon. Got me thinking. Has an ex Charlton player won the Premier League before?  I’m sure there has been, but I can’t think of one.

Comments

• Options
    Was thinking Scott Sinclair maybe but no

He played 11 games for City in 12/13 when they finished 2nd but none the following year when they won the league as was on loan at WBA 
  • Options
    Paul Walsh won the old First Division with Liverpool
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Jonathan Spector i'd imagine has one - *edit nope only played for Utd in 04/05
  • Options
    Paul Walsh won the old First Division with Liverpool
    Chris Whyte and John Barnes 
  • Options
     Francis Jeffers - Arsenal?
  • Options
     Francis Jeffers - Arsenal?
    Nope only ever won the Charity Shield
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    se9addick said:
    Ben Hamer and Joe Dodoo both part of Leicester squad but neither got medals
    Bloody hell, imagine if Dodoo won a premier league medal, would undermine the reputation of the competition for the rest of time!
    A lot like Djimi Traore lifting the Champions League trophy.
  • Options
    Bob Boulder European Cup winner! Never played in a European Cup game for Liverpool but still got a medal 
  • Options
    Alexei Smertin won the premier league with Chelsea.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Scott Carson won the champions league with Liverpool. 
  • Options
    I think all of these players had their moment of glory before joining Charlton. How many won something significant after playing for us? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    I think all of these players had their moment of glory before joining Charlton. How many won something significant after playing for us? 
     Costa won the Champions league after his loan with us - we made him the player that he became. 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    So what 'winning bonuses' did your old owner stick in his contract? He did right? 
    Yeah... Clause probably reads that Roland gets £3m, not the club... Roland!!
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    JohnBoyUK said:
    So what 'winning bonuses' did your old owner stick in his contract? He did right? 
    It would have been brilliant if he did, and then having sold up got nothing himself.

Probably just as well he would not have had the foresight, or you can be sure he would have clung on until he could trouser the cash at the end of the season...   
  • Options
    Popular former Addick Diawara went onto win the French title with OM
  • Options
    Bougherra went on to win titles with Rangers after leaving Charlton 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
     Costa won the Champions league after his loan with us - we made him the player that he became. 
    That sounds like a winner!
  • Options
    The most talented young player to come through the youth system at Cafc was allowed to leave for 3.5 million. Joe was always going to leave but barring injuries Joe will be worth 75 million going by Harry Maguire's fee.

The release clause should've been 10 million as all 6 of the premier top clubs would've bid. That will be the skill of ESI going forward.
  • Options
    The most talented young player to come through the youth system at Cafc was allowed to leave for 3.5 million. Joe was always going to leave but barring injuries Joe will be worth 75 million going by Harry Maguire's fee.

The release clause should've been 10 million as all 6 of the premier top clubs would've bid. That will be the skill of ESI going forward.
    Shouldn't have been a release clause full stop, unfortunately for us Gomez only signed a contract with us because his agent insisted they put a clause in, but the 3.5m clause was ridiculously low. Think I read somewhere that we have a selling on percentage fee and that money came to us after a set amount of first team appearances, Liverpool winning the league and his first England cap
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Sam, yes the first part is correct but the second part is speculation because it has never been stated. England caps, apps for Liverpool, sell on and winning the League would be included if skilled negotiations took part on Charlton's behalf ?. As the release clause was as low as 3.5 million as stated by Liverpool then yet again Cafc were the laughing stock of football. If I was the negotiator I would've had a written agreement with Joe's dad and his agent that when Joe signed his contract for Cafc that even though the release clause was 10 million, we would have a caveat that if we had multiple bids and the various bids were near to that figure then the 8 million from Liverpool would trump 9 million from Man city if that was the wishes of Joe and his family.

The 10 million clause would have been reached by more than one team in Joe's case, and again Joe decides who he signs for. 

No one believes now that the 2.5 million clause for Marcus Madison was reached but McAnthony and Ferguson decided they wanted to move him on as MM had lost interest playing in League 1.