Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bob Curtis (RIP)

2»

Comments

• Options
    remember him with a smile

RIP
    Great way to put it ... me too
  • Options
    Bob died nearly 10 years ago, at the age of 60 from the dreaded motor neurone disease. He replaced Billy Bonds and had a great career at Charlton despite the highs of the team who finished 3rd in the second division being allowed to fall away under the apathetic Michael Gliksten to the lows of the early 70's.
    Bob Curtis made 337 apps for Cafc.

Wright Curtis Kinsey Campbell Went Reeves Gregory Tracey Tees Moore Peacock.

That's just from memory as a lad who loved Cafc and who still loves the club with every bone in my body.

Bob Curtis has been in peace since 19th March 2010. 

Memories never die.
    Probably the only team line up I could name without having to think about it in 54 years supporting CAFC.

Rest easy Bob
  • Options
    Very good versatile player. I remember him scoring a fluke 70 yard goal at the Valley. It was a free kick inside his own half, floated it forward and it went in. Cannot remember who the opposition was.
    Remember it well glorious sunny day but also can't remember the opposition (for some reason thinking Birmingham but thought they would have been in the first division at the time ?) 
  • Options
    RIP to Bob , big part of going to The Valley in the 70's , as has been said already , lovely bloke too.
  • Options
    Remember him well from when I first started going to games. Penalty king!
  • Options
    loved Bob.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Bob died nearly 10 years ago, at the age of 60 from the dreaded motor neurone disease. He replaced Billy Bonds and had a great career at Charlton despite the highs of the team who finished 3rd in the second division being allowed to fall away under the apathetic Michael Gliksten to the lows of the early 70's.
    Bob Curtis made 337 apps for Cafc.

Wright Curtis Kinsey Campbell Went Reeves Gregory Tracey Tees Moore Peacock.

That's just from memory as a lad who loved Cafc and who still loves the club with every bone in my body.

Bob Curtis has been in peace since 19th March 2010. 

Memories never die.
    Probably the only team line up I could name without having to think about it in 54 years supporting CAFC.

Rest easy Bob
    That was my favourite ever season, weird really as we didn't win anything, there were some really good performances that season. I saw every game home & away. RIP Bob, you'll always be remembered fondly by me.
  • Options
    I was closer to Bob than most other Charlton players.

He would be running back and forth in front of me at right back, when I was about 7-10 years old, standing on those railings at the front of the east terrace. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very good versatile player. I remember him scoring a fluke 70 yard goal at the Valley. It was a free kick inside his own half, floated it forward and it went in. Cannot remember who the opposition was.
    Remember it well glorious sunny day but also can't remember the opposition (for some reason thinking Birmingham but thought they would have been in the first division at the time ?) 
    Amazing goal from just inside his own half.

It was in October 1967, we played successive home games against Carlisle and Middlesbrough; both matches ended 2-2 - but for the life of me, I can't now remember which of those 2 games it was that he scored in.

He was only 17 at the time ..... in those days if you were good enough, you played.

I can remember a couple of months later at The Valley v Derby County and Bob scored an own goal.
    Straight from the kick off, determined to make amends, he went bombing up the line and from outside the box, let rip with a thunderous effort that cannoned off the crossbar and back in play. We lost 2-1 that day. It was the only time I ever sat in the old iconic grandstand, invited by a schoolfriend and his bank manager dad. 

I remember the Birmingham home game also, December 1967; Barry Bridges soon put Brum a goal up.  Can't remember who got our equaliser, might have been Harry Gregory? Second half and Matt Tees scored twice, one with a textbook far post header from a corner kick. We'd turned it around and won 3-1 against promotion hopefuls.

We had a little corner routine in those days ..... corner kick aimed at the near post, met with a flicked header over and across the keeper; with a run and leap by the striker coming in at the far post firmly heading goalwards. We scored a number of goals that way - it killed the keeper and wrong footed the defence - very hard to defend. 

Amazing the things you remember when you were 12.

• Options
    Fond memories of Bob in the 1970’s with Phil Warman  in defence.  Regards to his family and friends.  Just makes me even more determined to retire when I’m 60 next year   RIP Bob 
  • Options
    Remember him well. 
  • Options
    Loved Bob Curtis. Penalty king is right.
  • Options
    Great player, superb penalty taker...loved the blonde hair...way ahead of his time was Bob.
  • Options
    I remember talking to a childhood mate about Charlton selling Billy Bonds to West Ham.  He said it didn't matter, Bob Curtis is better!

R.I.P. to one of my childhood heroes.
  • Options
    What a player for us !,

Handy cricketer played against him in the 70s..

RIP