Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

It was thirty years ago today...

2»

Comments

• I was at the WBA game with my Dad. Didn't realise until we got home that it was the puddle that beat us.

Was the Palace game with Gritt in goal the same one where we had to wear their away kit? 
  • Drove up in driving rain expecting the game to be called off. So unlucky that day. Great noise from under that roof.
  • I was at the WBA game with my Dad. Didn't realise until we got home that it was the puddle that beat us.

Was the Palace game with Gritt in goal the same one where we had to wear their away kit? 
    No, that game was a couple of years earlier 

No, that game was a couple of years earlier 
    The away kit game was Easter 1984. Lost 2-0. 
  • aliwibble said:
    It was saved Oohaah! We also hit the woodwork twice. Just wasn't our day I think.
    Yeah his shot was shit and saved he didn’t score cos of the wallys who turned up behind the goal ...
    were you one of them ! 
    Well it wasn't the greatest penalty ever, but given the state of the area around what had once been the penalty spot, he was probably doing well not slip over and balloon it into the stand like Johnny H did with that attempt at a cross later on. And no, I wasn't daft enough to risk getting drenched just to try to get on the telly.
  • I still remember the oldest most primitive bogs I have ever encountered in the away end that day, getting lifted for pissing up the station wall seems preferable. 

As others have said, awful conditions but one of those days I am glad I witnessed. 

The mud was so bad it featured on Match of the Days title sequence for a few years afterwards. 
  • No way in the current era that game would be played. Pitch absolutely awful with the ball holding up.
  • I loved that team. Despite all the turmoil surrounding the club and more defeats than victories, I think it was my happiest time as a Charlton fan............
  • Think this was my first ever away game but I still remember the goal all too well. Memory extremely hazy for this one.