Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fahrenheit

2»

Comments

• Options
    Fahrenheit should be restricted to hot days only

"Phew it was in the 90s today"
    Fahrenheit should be restricted to hot days only

"Phew it was in the 90s today"

This, restore the rest, but Fahrenheit is far too complicated
  • Options
    I am 64. I was taught imperial measures.
    The only one I can’t shake is Fahrenheit.
    All other measures I’m fine with - distance, weight, volume etc. But I haven’t a clue what Celsius temperatures mean but know exactly what temperature in Fahrenheit mean. I’m told that 22c is lovely but ??? If I’m told 70f however I know it’s good weather and the vest should be discarded!
  • Options
    N01R4M said:
    Wrong! :)
    1 US pint is 16 US fl oz, or 16.65 imperial fl oz, or 0.83 imperial pint.
    And since the US fluid gallon holds 8 US pints, it is only 0.83 of an imperial gallon...

It's rumoured that one of the US Mars spacecraft crash landed because of confusions in units in which it and its trajectory were being measured; an expensive mistake if true.  :'(
    You beat me to it. 

It wasn't a rumour, it was a fact.

NASA lost its $125-million Mars Climate Orbiter because spacecraft engineers failed to convert from English to metric measurements when exchanging vital data before the craft was launched, space agency officials said Thursday.

A navigation team at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory used the metric system of millimeters and meters in its calculations, while Lockheed Martin Astronautics in Denver, which designed and built the spacecraft, provided crucial acceleration data in the English system of inches, feet and pounds.

“That is so dumb,” said John Logsdon, director of George Washington University’s space policy institute. 

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1999-oct-01-mn-17288-story.html

Huge credit to John Logsdon, for getting the line "This is so dumb" quoted in a major newspaper #NotAllHeroesWearCapes
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    iainment said:
    All other measures I’m fine with - distance, weight, volume etc. But I haven’t a clue what Celsius temperatures mean but know exactly what temperature in Fahrenheit mean. I’m told that 22c is lovely but ??? If I’m told 70f however I know it’s good weather and the vest should be discarded!
    Surely Celsius is pretty simple? Under normal conditions water freezes at 0 and boils at 100 - that’s pretty much all you need to know. Seems much more straightforward than the random madness of Fahrenheit? 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    aliwibble said:
    I use both imperial and metric measurements in my job. It shouldn’t make any difference, it’s only a unit of measurement. The only part of imperial measuring that annoys me is American screw threads. There seems very little rhyme or reason to them compared to a very logical ISO threads. Anyone know what dimensions  a No.2 X 56 unf pilister head are without looking it up on a chart?
    It does though, as soon as you have to go beyond measuring basic lengths and volumes, and start factoring in pressures, forces, energy and so on. Because all the SI units are defined in relation to a bunch of basic standard measurements, then doing calculations based on those measurements is relatively straightforward, while if you're doing it in imperial you risk introducing inaccuracies due to having to use conversion factors. And that's before we get onto the joys of having to check whether the specific non-SI unit you're using is the US rather than the UK one with the same name but a slightly different size.
    @aliwibble you saved me typing all that out.

kids, eh?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Fahrenheit 451.  Give it 3 years they'll be burning books.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    iainment said:
    Surely Celsius is pretty simple? Under normal conditions water freezes at 0 and boils at 100 - that’s pretty much all you need to know. Seems much more straightforward than the random madness of Fahrenheit? 
    I suppose it’s what you grow up with partly. As I said Fahrenheit is the only measure I can’t move on from.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    se9addick said:
    iainment said:
    I suppose it’s what you grow up with partly. As I said Fahrenheit is the only measure I can’t move on from.
    No I get it (and it doesn’t really matter) but of all the “new” measurements Celsius as a metric for temperature seems the most straightforward. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I suggest you use whatever ones you are most comfortable with. 
    I use a mixture of both. 

Weight is stones and pounds. Would not understand if someone said they have lost 5kg on their diet 

height - again feet and inches. Cant translate 1m 75cm into how tall someone is. 

Temperature - I use Celsius unless talking extreme heat ‘ they say gonna be in the 90’s today ‘ 

Distance/ speed. Miles rather than kilometres. 
  • Options
    Anyway, is it not time to change the clock to base 10 ? 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Derek1952 said:
    Can we go back to Fahrenheit,Pounds/Ounces,and Feet/Inches, now we have left the EU?
    I prefer metric thanks.

Mileage 26.2 miles sounds shorter than 42.195

Length 7 inches sounds smaller than about 18 cm or
    5ft 8.5 inches or 174 cm? 

freezing point is 0°c that makes more sense than it being 32°f

If you use km for distance, you should for speed too.

100kmh sounds way quicker than 62mph. 

5mins per km or 8mins per mile

1 litre or 0.2gallons 

78kg or 12st 4lb?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I suggest you use whatever ones you are most comfortable with. 
    I use a mixture of both. 

Weight is stones and pounds. Would not understand if someone said they have lost 5kg on their diet 

height - again feet and inches. Cant translate 1m 75cm into how tall someone is. 

Temperature - I use Celsius unless talking extreme heat ‘ they say gonna be in the 90’s today ‘ 

Distance/ speed. Miles rather than kilometres. 
     5kg is 11lbs
    175cm is 5ft 9"
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    I use both imperial and metric measurements in my job. It shouldn’t make any difference, it’s only a unit of measurement. The only part of imperial measuring that annoys me is American screw threads. There seems very little rhyme or reason to them compared to a very logical ISO threads. Anyone know what dimensions  a No.2 X 56 unf pilister head are without looking it up on a chart?
    It does though, as soon as you have to go beyond measuring basic lengths and volumes, and start factoring in pressures, forces, energy and so on. Because all the SI units are defined in relation to a bunch of basic standard measurements, then doing calculations based on those measurements is relatively straightforward, while if you're doing it in imperial you risk introducing inaccuracies due to having to use conversion factors. And that's before we get onto the joys of having to check whether the specific non-SI unit you're using is the US rather than the UK one with the same name but a slightly different size.

kids, eh?
    I stand corrected and acknowledge he is 100% correct.
    But I was coming from a rather more basic day to day level and not going to Mars.
    If you said your knob was 2 inches long or you said your knob is 50 mm long you basically know and can visualise how long or short your knob is, it’s about the same either way. It’s only when you need to impress or try to get a bit anal would try telling 2 inches is bigger and not the same as 50mm. 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

kids, eh?
    I stand corrected and acknowledge he is 100% correct.
    But I was coming from a rather more basic day to day level and not going to Mars.
    If you said your knob was 2 inches long or you said your knob is 50 mm long you basically know and can visualise how long or short your knob is, it’s about the same either way. It’s only when you need to impress or try to get a bit anal would try telling 2 inches is bigger and not the same as 50mm. 
    Harsh, but probably accurate.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I think we've got it about right. Metric is used for science and (most) business. Individuals are free to use whatever makes sense to them. Keep teaching metric in schools as that is the international standard - and for very good reasons.

I expect the imperial measures to wither away. Like the line, the oxgang, and the wey, eventually pounds, ounces and Fahrenheit will become nothing but historical curiosities. Not all at the same time though and not in my lifetime. 
  • Options
    I'm old school and still use imperial for measurements. 
    Incidentally a penalty spot is 12 yards, area 18 yards and 10 yards for a free kick. Is that right or is it now 12 18 and 10 metres
  • Options
    redman said:
    I'm old school and still use imperial for measurements. 
    Incidentally a penalty spot is 12 yards, area 18 yards and 10 yards for a free kick. Is that right or is it now 12 18 and 10 metres

Still yards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some of you gents may be happy to quote your vital statistics in metric, but I absolutely and categorically refuse to acknowledge even to myself what my bra size is in cm!!  Maybe the younger generation of women feel differently?

So, men, is your ideal woman 5 ft 5 inches tall & 36-24-36?  Or 165 cm tall & 91-61-91?
    (Neither is me, in case you are wondering!!)
  • Options
    The scary thing is that there are an awful lot of people who would actually want to go back to those.
    I see you are self proclaimed guru. In your masterful ways, what particular part do you find scary?
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    The scary thing is that there are an awful lot of people who would actually want to go back to those.
    I see you are self proclaimed guru. In your masterful ways, what particular part do you find scary?
    Missed the guru bit. Link?