Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adam Matthews - gone to Cyprus, and is in ManU's Europa League group (p18)

I know we’ve all been talking about Cullen, Gallagher, Field, Lockyer and the like this season, but in my opinion, Matthews has turned out, somewhat surprisingly, to be a fantastic bit of business and possibly the best value signing we’ve made this year.

Bearing in mind how much we all love Solly (who has a place in Charlton lore guaranteed), Matthews has done brilliantly to not only cover the position, but also get to a place where you’ve got to say the spot in the line up is his to lose.

A real unsung hero.

Comments

• Was excellent today, don't think he put a foot wrong. Some great throws too. 
  • He has come in been steady and nailed his place. Doesn’t look great for Solly. Excellent signing. 
  • Definitely a good signing on a free, solid. 
  • Yes fully agree he looks a championship quality fullback & needs to be offered a contract extension
  • Thought, once again, that he was quality today. Had there left sided attacking player in his pocket all game. 
  • Quality moment with a fan in the East Stand when the ball got thrown back to him yet dropped into a puddle on the covers

Matthews looked up at the fan, picked up the ball and had a "Did you have to just do that" expression on his face

All in jest of course, just nice to see the acknowledgement with the crowd from a player
  • Need to get him signed up on a longer contract! Really enjoy the way he reads the game and is good at attacking too!
  • Sponsored links:

• Amazing that Sunderland let him go really 
  • edited February 2020
    Amazing that Sunderland let him go really 
    Wasnt it to get his wages off the budget?
  • Amazing that Sunderland let him go really 
    Didn't really have much choice did they?

Best full back we have had since Solly and Wiggins got thier injuries. 
  • Played very well again today, really impressed by some of his second half throws
  • Played very well again today, really impressed by some of his second half throws
    Amazing how bad Barnsley were at defending them.
  • Quality player 
  • He is good. In fact, our silky moments of defending this season have come from A.M. 
  • edited February 2020
    He's looking increasingly assured defensively. I was not impressed at all when he first came into the team, thought Solly actually looked the better option at that time, but he's got better with matches and looks fully fit now. Just like you used to with Solly, when you see him one on one with an attacker, you feel confident he'll snuff out the threat.

Not contributing a great deal in attack yet, his crossing could certainly be better, but he's well worth his place in the team right now. We might see more attacking intent once all our midfielders are fully up to speed and we're better able to dominate the middle of the park. If we get on top and allow the full backs forward more - Doughty was suffering just as much as he was having to start his attacking forays from too deep.

• The right back position is his, no doubt and no rotation. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Excellent bit of business. What a solid player. Good 1-v-1, very good positional, and great technical ability that let's us play out of trouble. 
  • He’s certainly getting better with each performance, but I’d still look to bring in a better first choice right back in the summer and have Matthews as backup.
  • Yes. Today he played really well. Seems to be getting better every game. 
  • Very solid player, great defensively, quite weak going forwards, delivery etc, but overall had a good season so far
  • Well done to Bowyer and the scouts, again.
  • I’ve been saying this game upon game leaving The Valley. Quality personified. If you need an example, just look at his contribution to Bonne’s first goal against Brizzle City👌🏻 
  • A good feature in the programme, I hadn't realised he played in the Tony Watt Celtic Barcelona match!
  • Agree. Has made right back his own. Very competent and hopefully we will reward with a decent contract. I like him.