Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Proper London football club, run by Londoners

edited February 2020 in General Charlton
Charlton have a London-born Chairman (Southall), a London-born Manager (Bowyer) and a London-born captain (Pearce).  I don't think there are many other teams in our division - or elsewhere - where the Chairman, Manager and Captain are from the same town or city as the club.  

Or is it more common than I think? 

Comments

• Think Sheffield united might also be
  • Chizz said:
    Think Sheffield united might also be
    The Chairman of Sheffield United is Musa’ad bin Khalid bin Musa’ad bin Abdulrahman Al Saud. It's not a conspicuously Yorkshire name, so I just googled him. It appears he was born just outside Sheffield. In Riyadh. 
    Well, to be fair, Sheffield and Riyadh are both complete shit holes.
  • I would go as far as to say Jacko is probably one of the most 'London' Londoners in football ever. I believe he was born in Soho or Covent Garden and his dad was/is a black cab driver.
  • seth plum said:
    I would go as far as to say Jacko is probably one of the most 'London' Londoners in football ever. I believe he was born in Soho or Covent Garden and his dad was/is a black cab driver.
    He’s the only person I’ve ever heard of that’s actually from Covent Garden, I didn’t even realise that was a possibility! 
  • seth plum said:
    I would go as far as to say Jacko is probably one of the most 'London' Londoners in football ever. I believe he was born in Soho or Covent Garden and his dad was/is a black cab driver.
    Born in Camden, still touristy, counts
  • edited February 2020
    se9addick said:
    seth plum said:
    He’s the only person I’ve ever heard of that’s actually from Covent Garden, I didn’t even realise that was a possibility! 
    Went to uni with a bloke who grew up on the estate there. Think jacko lived on it too. If they were private flats they'd be worth silly money given their  location. 

Just off long acre 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2020
    Rossman92 said:
    seth plum said:
    Born in Camden, still touristy, counts

That part of Camden borough is bang central just north of Covent garden 
  • se9addick said:
    seth plum said:
    Went to uni with a bloke who grew up on the estate there. Think jacko lived on it too. If they were private flats they'd be worth silly money given their  location. 

Just off long acre 
    My uncle Fred and auntie Elsie lived there and I can vaguely remember visiting them on a couple of occasions in the mid 50’s.
    He was a tailor.
  • se9addick said:
    seth plum said:

Just off long acre 
    se9addick said:
    seth plum said:

Just off long acre 
    My uncle Fred and auntie Elsie lived there and I can vaguely remember visiting them on a couple of occasions in the mid 50’s.
    He was a tailor.
    Interesting, had no idea there was an estate there, probably all private now.
  • se9addick said:
    seth plum said:
    Cat Stevens born in Soho.
  • edited February 2020
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    seth plum said:

Just off long acre 
    se9addick said:
    seth plum said:

Just off long acre 
    He was a tailor.
    Interesting, had no idea there was an estate there, probably all private now.
    Yeah it's nuts. There's loads of little estates dotted around those areas of Westminster and south camden borough. Big one in bloomsbury and one bang in Chinatown for example that aren't obvious.

Many still council. The one in barbican in the city is notable...check out the prices of the private flats there and you'll see why it's unlikely the council tenants will still be in central London in 50 years but shipped out to margate or milton Keynes.
  • We'll have a good old knees up. 
  • I believe there are over 5000 residents in the central area.
  • Acab said:
    se9addick said:
    seth plum said:
    Cat Stevens born in Soho.
    Yeah but who did he play for?
    Wild World Wanderers?
  • Chizz said:
    Charlton have a London-born Chairman (Southall), a London-born Manager (Bowyer) and a London-born captain (Pearce).  I don't think there are many other teams in our division - or elsewhere - where the Chairman, Manager and Captain are from the same town or city as the club.  

Who is the Palace captain as both Steve Parish and Hodgson are from London.

Middlesbrough have Steve Gibson and Woodgate, again i have no idea who the captain is though.
  • Chizz said:

Middlesbrough have Steve Gibson and Woodgate, again i have no idea who the captain is though.
    The Palace captain is Luka Milivojevic (Serbia).
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    seth plum said:

Just off long acre 
    Yep, the Peabody Estate near Long Acre and Drury Lane. 
  • CAFC is like far too many 'British' companies and entities nowadays .. employs local people but is owned lock stock and inventory by foreigners 
  • It seems everybody is a foreigner to somebody.
  • se9addick said:
    seth plum said:
    He still lives in Covent Garden. 
  • CAFC is like far too many 'British' companies and entities nowadays .. employs local people but is owned lock stock and inventory by foreigners 
    Considering historical ownership abroad of the Btirish empire I think it's always been that way. Shell, BP now etc.

Globalisation 
  • Solidgone said:
    se9addick said:
    seth plum said:
    He still lives in Covent Garden. 
    all 'is life 'e wanted to be a barrer boy ((:>)
  • If anyone else had made this thread....
  • Chizz said:

Officially their Captain is George Friend (born in Devon) but he's not been playing much this season. More recently it's been Jonny Howson (born in Leeds).