Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barnsley Goal 'Analysis' (I hesitate to use the word)

Comments

• Options
    Dillon has let a few in from angled shots but it wasn't one you could say was a keeper error. It is difficult, My first reaction with Taylor's goal was that their keeper should have been braver and rushed at him, but when I looked at it again, I am not so sure. Keepers have to make the calls in the moment and the best ones get them right more often than not. 
  • Options
    Taylor came off because he was cramping and had worked his socks off 

Williams because he isn't 100% and could get 1 kick too many.

Pratley was tiring and could have been replaced.

Cullen is an Ironman but is still finding his top gear after his time out.

Green who had an excellent game could have come off near the end after a traumatic week.

5 players at least who could have been replaced. Tough gig being a manager when you don't have 7 players ready and fit to give you more options.

Should improve by next week.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    It is a natural instinct to be drawn towards the ball when a player is driving into the box. Sarr will naturally come more narrow in that situation. I don't think he did much wrong, it was a fantastic finish.
    The problem was we allowed the player to run half the length of the field  and no one went to him.  Perhaps someone should have taken a yellow for the team.
  • Options
    Cullen slips in his challenge in what should be a safe enough place, a couple of players move out of position to pressurise the advancing player and a great finish is smashed into the net well. 

Let's not read into this anymore than we need to. It was a solid counter. One that we've broken similarly several times this season and in some cases created goals from. 

It happens. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I had a thought about this last night funnily enough.

I like Sarr, defend him a lot but here is his weakness in my opinion.
    After Dillion's great save. Watch the difference between Lockyer and Sarr. This also happened with Dillions save against West Brom in the cup. Lockyer automatically runs at the line to try and do anything to prevent the goal, may not have made a difference but his natural instinct is there.
    Now watch Sarr. He just stands still watching. I know Lockyer but the fact Sarr is dead on his feet shows where he is slightly lacking. The striker runs past him and would be onside if that fell to him to tap in. If he fixed these laps in concentration he would be a very good player. I still prefer him over Pearce.
    Do I have a point?

Best angle:

Photos:

Lockyer now on the line

Another Angle

If you watch it in real-time as well you can see what I am getting at.

• Options
    Again, I am not a Sarr hater. I would have him as my main CB with Lockyer given the choice.
  • Options
    Sarr is slow and not very mobile. Those are his weaknesses, but they have to be countered with his strengths. Even though he didn't know much about it, our second was a result of him in attack and he does give defenders issues. Also, if the team is strong around him and can defeat the press, he has penerative through balls in his locker that can open teams up. Our first against Preston was a case in point, not many centre halves would have found Doughty with the ball that he did. But he needs the options and when we are weak in midfield the passing options are not there. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Weird isn't it, both he and Pearce both stop solidly, this is even before Pearce notices the man on the floor in front of him. 

I think Pearce and Sarr are quite similar, one is full of aggression whilst the other is bigger and stronger but seems unwilling to play with aggression. 

They definitely suit different games so both have a place. Sarr is better against ball playing sides, whereas Pearce is better when a battle with a CF is going to occur. Sarr just doesn't have the required aggression for those fixtures. 

Play Pearce against the likes of Nuhiu or Mitrovic. 
    Play Sarr against the likes of Bowen or Assombalonga (even though Bowen scored against us!)

Would love to see Taylor against them in training. 
  • Options
    @CharltonByBlood I'm not sure about Sarr there. He definitely 'stops' but think most players would. 

I did look at that replay and Cullen (the shortest player on the pitch) ended up marking their centre-back. Pearce is nearby but hasn't reacted quick enough to get across and challenge. 

Decent ball in to be fair, but it's still hard to see why it would be Cullen Vs Andersen.
  • Options
    Sarr is slow and not very mobile. Those are his weaknesses, but they have to be countered with his strengths. Even though he didn't know much about it, our second was a result of him in attack and he does give defenders issues. Also, if the team is strong around him and can defeat the press, he has penerative through balls in his locker that can open teams up. Our first against Preston was a case in point, not many centre halves would have found Doughty with the ball that he did. But he needs the options and when we are weak in midfield the passing options are not there. 
    Sarr's distribution can at times be the best we have. Certainly can't say that of Pearce.

I am confident that they will be able to play together this season and continue to grow. It's just a shame Sarr takes a long time to get his motor going and his fitness isn't great comparatively to any other defender of ours If he's sprinted back, he's done for 10 minutes. 

Pearce only has 2 gears, jog and slow run so sits deep to ensure he doesn't have to sprint. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    @CharltonByBlood I'm not sure about Sarr there. He definitely 'stops' but think most players would. 

I did look at that replay and Cullen (the shortest player on the pitch) ended up marking their centre-back. Pearce is nearby but hasn't reacted quick enough to get across and challenge. 

Decent ball in to be fair, but it's still hard to see why it would be Cullen Vs Andersen.
    Yep, I get what you mean. It's just more that fact I have noticed it from him before. Below. ( Only Solly & Doughty react)

2:56 mins in:

• Options
    Pearce is a threat at set pieces. I like the five at the back as it gives you Pearce, Sarr, Lockyer, Pratley and Taylor at set pieces which is harder for opponents to defend.
  • Options
    So in terms of the goal, the only CB not at fault is presumably Pearce who was in the correct position for a back 3 setup against that attack?

Both Sarr and Lockyer instinctively want to attack the ball, in a back 3 to an extent you want your outer CBs to be more aggressive, but it has to be done at the right time
  • Options
    While we have had 16 of our squad not fit for selection when was the last time the "unfit" Naby missed a game through injury ?

To balance that out why not show the last ditch tackle that saved a goal down the Jimmy Seed end the other week.

We all know Naby has a mistake in him but so does John Stones, but he still gets games for City and England.

• Options
    @CharltonByBlood You're right. It's a good spot. 
  • Options
    I think the big problem there is that one missed tackle in midfield gave Barnsley the full run at our defence with no-one else anywhere near being able to get involved. The players know where they should be in the diamond but our midfield is often confused when playing with 5 at the back and it really shows when teams drive at us through the middle. Normally against a formation like ours you want to try and catch the wingbacks out of position and use the width to drag centre halves away and create space in front of goal, but against us teams can cause chaos centrally which just shouldn't happen when you have 3 centre mids and 3 centre halves. I hope that having signed 600 midfielders on deadline day we'll be able to be done with 3-5-2 and get back into the diamond that we know works for us
  • Options
    Again, I am not a Sarr hater. I would have him as my main CB with Lockyer given the choice.
    I still think it depends on the opposition

I'm always loath to see Sarr against some of the more physical Strikers in the Division as feel they bully him a bit more than Pearce
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is a natural instinct to be drawn towards the ball when a player is driving into the box. Sarr will naturally come more narrow in that situation. I don't think he did much wrong, it was a fantastic finish.
    Exactly. He had to back Pearce up and also provide a block if the bloke shifted onto his right foot for a shot. We needed an extra defender back but that's what you get with 3-5-2 and a quick break. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Sarr is a big man with a long stride so LOOKS slow. Carl Leaburn used to be the same yet kept up comfortably with a pre injury Micky Bennett and Paul Williams when we won 4-3 up at St James' Park Newcastle all those years ago. Neither of those were slouches particularly Bennett at that time.

Sarr is quicker than Pearce and probably Lockyer too.
  • Options
    I would like to see a race between them - I can't see him being much faster than he looks. I do know he looks more liable to make mistakes whilst he doesn't make any more than other defenders though.
  • Options
    Great thread
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Chunes said:
    @CharltonByBlood You're right. It's a good spot. 
    It's almost like CB's are taught to hold a line... Some kind of trap... I know CB's unless defending a corner, often don't like to go past the penalty spot, but it's weird just how rigid our CB's become. 

It's probably an ingrained thing that many CB's do... Going to look back at some highlights later to see if other clubs defence also do this. 
  • Options
    It’s football. No one is perfect. Players will make mistakes now and again but that doesn’t make them bad players. This is on a par with criticizing Dillon because of his distribution but overlooking how good his shot stopping is. 

Over analysis in my opinion. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I would like to see a race between them - I can't see him being much faster than he looks. I do know he looks more liable to make mistakes whilst he doesn't make any more than other defenders though.
     Would love them to sprint the length of the pitch.

From the touch line to the 18 Pearce leads,
    From the 18 to half way Naby would catch up and then overtake
    only to conk out around the other 18 yard box
    and they finish around the same time.

Maybe Naby wins by a toe nail.
  • Options
    The last minute signing of Davis could be pivotal moving forward.

He's described as a body-on-the-line type defensive midfielder, likes to break up play etc.
    It was also no coincidence that Cullen's return against Fulham resulted in a clean sheet.

The ability to rotate Davis with Pratley, or perhaps even slot Pratley into the middle of a back 3, with Davis & Cullen sat in front (for those "backs-to-the-wall" type matches) should hopefully make us more resilient... Even with the much discussed individual weaknesses of our centre-back options!

• Options
    If Pratley was part of the back 3 v Barnsley, I'm sure he would have stepped up and onto the oncoming midfielder (his natural game), meaning Lockyer could have stayed put and Pearce/Sarr choose to cover or stay wide (whichever their autopilot mode would take them). 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    If Pratley was part of the back 3 v Barnsley, I'm sure he would have stepped up and onto the oncoming midfielder (his natural game), meaning Lockyer could have stayed put and Pearce/Sarr choose to cover or stay wide (whichever their autopilot mode would take them). 
    Some posters have highlighted Cullen missing his tackle but there's always a chance that will happen. Credit to the Barnsley player.

We paid the price because both wing backs were caught up field at the same time, leaving both Barnsley wide runners not picked up.
    Matthews was haring back best he could but really, Alfie didn't read the situation quickly enough.

However, IMO the situation could have been better resolved by Lockyer not coming forward to challenge the Barnsley player in possession.
    We lost shape.

Lockyer should have stayed back able to cover inside the leftside Barnsley runner and with Matthews sprinting back to position, could still be in position to cover centrally, allowing Pearce to jockey the ballplayer, make the challenge or take one for the team. Naby should never have moved across centrally and left the goalscorer unchallenged.

My verdict: Lockyer should keep the defensive line. The shape was lost from that point.