Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

John Collins - Pride of the Valley

Was privileged to meet John, and two of his sons, today when he donated to the museum a bell (converted from an air raid warden's alarm bell) and a rattle that were taken to both finals and both semi-finals in 1946 and 1947.

John was a teacher at Bexley Grammar so perhaps he taught a few lifers.

You can read more about him here and there's also a video on Valley Pass

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5e1734994d7df/prideofthevalley-john-collins

Comments

• John, and his brother if I remember rightly, taught me at Bexley Grammar. Also, again if my memory isn’t failing me, he was a bit of a tough nut deputy head in my time.

Good to know he is still thriving even though I’m sure I wasn’t his favourite student.
  • He and his brother were both at Bexley grammar when I went there 50 years ago great teachers and certainly had my respect. Great to see him still going to matches.
  • Collins house won everything in my day, mainly due to my inspiring efforts i hasten to add...
  • As in my day in the second half of the sixties.  
  • I think I was in Prothero House. Used to love end of term house football matches and, of course, sports day in the summer.
  • I think I was in Prothero House. Used to love end of term house football matches and, of course, sports day in the summer.
    The matchball actually burst in our Collins v Prothero game when two players tackled.
  • Reffed a young uns match there one year and confidently blew for offside only to have a kid casually leaning against a post pointed out.  He was just having a breather 30 yards away from the rest of the players (except of course the keeper)!!
    The matchball actually burst in our Collins v Prothero game when two players tackled.
    The mighty Michael Parry...