Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blackheath Schools v Hackney Schools May 1976 at the Valley

I was at school with Les Carter, who was on Palace's book.

Teamsheet came into the museum today.

Any other familiar names?

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Gary Micklewhite & Dave Mehmet.

Would you have a team sheet from a cup final played there in 81? Westhorne colts v Senrab.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Mark Falco for Hackney and our very own Dave Mehmet.
  • Options
    Gary Mickle white and Phil Coleman from Roan Grammar School for boys. 
    Gary was at Man Utd but didn't make a breakthrough there. Did well for QPR and Derby.
    Phil played for Millwall. 
  • Options
    Phil Coleman played for Millwall
  • Options
    I wonder how many of those 22 never kicked ball after they discovered alternative distractions.
  • Options
    Dermot Drummy former Crawley Manager & Chelsea academy coach,who committed suicide last year.
  • Options
    Can’t believe they had the audacity to charge 2p for the programme. 1 1/2p at most, surely
  • Options
    I played in the school team with all those Roan boys.
    Played against Les Carter many times; he was good, but not in the same league as Micklewhite.
  • Options
    Looking at the team sheet makes me wonder why they settled on the name Blackheath schools?  Just trying to be posh I s'pose. :neutral:
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    4 Roan boys - in my brother’s year. In 1977 Roan reached the all England schools final played at St Andrews which I attended. They also reached the final in 1971 which I went to. Can’t remember the results but think we won both. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Linesman Mr Chilton was in Silence of the Lambs.
  • Options
    3 Roan boys - in my brother’s year. In 1977 Roan reached the all England schools final played at St Andrews which I attended. They also reached the final in 1971 which I went to. Can’t remember the results but think we won both. 
    Won it in 1978 too, played at Stoke's old ground. 
  • Options
    My age group.  Played Sunday football and Dave Mehmet was in my Bedens Boys side, in the Independent Junior League. My Dad was Secretary of that particular league and the LYFA as well.

Played against Micklewhite who played for Inter Fico. Pretty sure he went to Welling school before Roan? Carter played for Oxford CTA  on a Sunday. He was an absolute beast but by the age of 16 his opponents had bulked up and matched his physicality and his presence waned.
  • Options
    Emeka Nwajiobi was in the England U19s. He played for Dulwich Hamlet three times before Luton Town took him to play in the old First Division. Also played full internationals for his native Nigeria. He came to my school Brockley County in the sixth form. We had an England Schoolboy international but had no School Football team!
  • Options

Nwajiobi was quick and very direct. Remember him well in a good Luton team.

Dermot Drummy was a Hendon legend. We had a number of his family and former teammates at the club a couple ago (including Bob Dowie) for a memorial day. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Tutt-Tutt said:
    Emeka Nwajiobi was in the England U19s. He played for Dulwich Hamlet three times before Luton Town took him to play in the old First Division. Also played full internationals for his native Nigeria. He came to my school Brockley County in the sixth form. We had an England Schoolboy international but had no School Football team!
    I was at school with Nwajiobi who was at Millwall at the time before he headed onto Luton. We had some decent players in my year at Brockley but they had us playing egg chasing instead.
    Tutt Tutt.... who's year were you in?

I also played Saturday football with Dave Roberts who played in the Blackheath team. 
  • Options
    I was at school with Les Carter, who was on Palace's book.

Teamsheet came into the museum today.

Any other familiar names?

Les Carter came on as sub in a televised match for Palace. I think this might have been his only appearance.

Of course, this isn't the most important anecdote about him, when he was taking part in playground football in primary school, my side got a free kick, I put my hand on the ball and the bastard kicked it, breaking my thumb.

I'm still waiting for an apology. I know, I need to move on. 
  • Options
    Cansick! What a great name.
  • Options
    Peter Varney went to Brockley County as did I.
    For my part I hated the place.