Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Parasite. The movie.

2»

Comments

• MrOneLung said:
    a film director has lovingly crafted his film to show the beauty and genius of his vision across the whole cinema screen - it obviously loses some of the intended effect if you are concentrating on the bottom 20% of the screen only.
    The Secret In Their Eyes blew me away in Argentinian, but bored me stiff in English. I don’t buy this at all. 
  • Chizz said:
    I read last week that Mark Kermode had rated it as the best film he'd seen in the last 10 years. Also said not to read up about it or any synopsis as it might ruin the ending. Taking this, and its title, into account I was thinking it would be worth going to see ..... only to find out that

1) It was in subtitles

2) Has nothing to do with infestation /horror etc.

I think I'll hold off & do what I usually do......wait 6 months & see it on Sky.
    “Once you overcome the one inch barrier of subtitles, you will be introduced to so many more amazing films.”
    Of course I've watched subtitled films & programmes before. Usually watch the offerings on BBC4 or C4 from France  Norway etc & have seen many foreign films in the past.

Just would prefer not to have to constantly read dialogue for 2+ hours. Also sometimes hard to work our who is saying what. 
    The rule of thumb is that the one whose lips are moving is sually the one speaking; and he or she is saying the thing that appears in words at the bottom of the screen at the same time.  
    Shit! I never knew that! I'll have to go and watch it again now.

• Chizz said:
    I read last week that Mark Kermode had rated it as the best film he'd seen in the last 10 years. Also said not to read up about it or any synopsis as it might ruin the ending. Taking this, and its title, into account I was thinking it would be worth going to see ..... only to find out that

1) It was in subtitles

2) Has nothing to do with infestation /horror etc.

I think I'll hold off & do what I usually do......wait 6 months & see it on Sky.
    “Once you overcome the one inch barrier of subtitles, you will be introduced to so many more amazing films.”
    Of course I've watched subtitled films & programmes before. Usually watch the offerings on BBC4 or C4 from France  Norway etc & have seen many foreign films in the past.

Just would prefer not to have to constantly read dialogue for 2+ hours. Also sometimes hard to work our who is saying what. 
    The rule of thumb is that the one whose lips are moving is sually the one speaking; and he or she is saying the thing that appears in words at the bottom of the screen at the same time.  
    But what about if it's a subtitled film about a ventriloquist?
  • Loved it. 

Found that I was the only one laughing at various points. I think that experience of Asia helps access some of the finer points, but there's a lot to appreciate in there either way 
  • Gottle of geer!
  • Sponsored links:

• Loved it too, great class-based satire that keeps you on the edge of your seat.
    Rarely for a film, this long didn't think it was too long at all.
  • A good subtitled film is no effort at all. Suggested my son watch Life is Beautiful not sure whether he would get into it but he rates it as one of his all time favourite films. Joker was the best film I have seen in the last 10 years but Phoenix's performance is probably a large factor in that so glad he got an Oscar for it.

Last year I thought Steve Coogan and John C Reilly absolutely nailed Stan and Ollie. The film wasn't an Oscar winner but the performances were astounding IMO.
  • Heard that the Orange Man is not impressed. 
  • sralan said:
    Heard that the Orange Man is not impressed. 
    Must be shit then ;)
  • Thought it was an interesting watch but preferred the Japanese film 'Shoplifters' which covered some of the same ground. Not a great lover of award ceremonies given how hard it is to a meaningful comparison between films.

• shoplifters is a terrific film 
  • Woketastic result!
  • Saw it last night and thought it was fantastic. Best I've seen in a while. 

Reminded me I should really watch more foreign language films so shoplifters is next for me.
  • Last night I watched Snowpiercer, also by Bong Joon Ho, worth viewing. 
  • I thought that Parasite was very good, although I confess to being just a shade disappointed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Blucher said:
    I thought that Parasite was very good, although I confess to being just a shade disappointed.
    Ditto. 
    Thoight joker was best film seen in past year, but generally disappointed in all films seen.
    disapointed in 1917. Last top i saw was dunkirk.  
  • It’s been a week since watched it at o2. Still thinking about it a lot, and looking forward to watching again when released on Netflix etc. 
  • Thought it was an interesting watch but preferred the Japanese film 'Shoplifters' which covered some of the same ground. Not a great lover of award ceremonies given how hard it is to a meaningful comparison between films.
    You prefer a completely different film to Parasite but you don't like award ceremonies because they compare movies to one another? 
  • edited February 2020
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Thought it was an interesting watch but preferred the Japanese film 'Shoplifters' which covered some of the same ground. Not a great lover of award ceremonies given how hard it is to a meaningful comparison between films.
    You prefer a completely different film to Parasite but you don't like award ceremonies because they compare movies to one another? 
    I'm not giving out awards in case you haven't noticed. You love an argument...
  • You drew a comparison between two films (again) then said you don’t think it’s possible to meaningfully compare films. If you think there’s an argument to be had here, good luck with that! 
  • 2121 said:
    Blucher said:
    I thought that Parasite was very good, although I confess to being just a shade disappointed.
    Ditto. 
    Thoight joker was best film seen in past year, but generally disappointed in all films seen.
    disapointed in 1917. Last top i saw was dunkirk.  
    Really? I think this past 12 months has been amazing for films - the Joker, Once Upon a Time, Jojo Rabbit, 1917 and Parasite were all incredible and each could have won the Best Film Oscar in other years. 

I think my favourite was probably Jojo Rabbit but Parasite & 1917 run it close. 
  • Just seen it, thought it was excellent. Sure beat watching the Charlton game anyway
  • Finally got to watch it recently and quite enjoyed it. A great and thought-provoking film with a slow start - I nearly gave up 15 minutes in but my parents thought it was interesting so we continued watching. I still love 1917 more but this film is a deserving winner for the Best Picture. 

I too think this past year was amazing for films. It's the first time ever that I watched all nominated films for Oscar's Best Picture. Usually I'm only interested in one or two. 
  • Battle for Sevastopol, best subtitled film I’ve seen based on a female Russian sniper (true life story, well worth a watch).
  • if you like Parasite watch Shoplifters From 2018  . It’s a better film in my opinion.