Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New kitchens

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2020
    One other thing, if you do go with Howdens I found that while prices for units etc were decent, I could get better prices for appliances elsewhere. 
  • Options
    Another thing that happened to us.
    As I mentioned we got a really good deal at benchmarx by going at the end of the month. The caveat was that we had to have it off of them the day after ordering!

Spoke to my builder and he was ok with it. We just stored it in the newly built extension and my garage. He just worked around it until it came to fitting.

So be aware if you do get a bargain you might just have to find somewhere to store it. I should think Howdens operate similarly.
  • Options
    Another thing that happened to us.
    As I mentioned we got a really good deal at benchmarx by going at the end of the month. The caveat was that we had to have it off of them the day after ordering!

Spoke to my builder and he was ok with it. We just stored it in the newly built extension and my garage. He just worked around it until it came to fitting.

So be aware if you do get a bargain you might just have to find somewhere to store it. I should think Howdens operate similarly.
    So I'll need to get an extension done before to store the kitchen in.
    I knew it was a good idea to put this off for 20 years. 
    What an arse ache. 
    Yet my sister gets a new one what seems like every 5 years :-) 

• Options
    We've just had a kitchen fitted that came from Howden's.  The designer did mess up one side of the kitchen when doing the plan, but they were great at getting the correct units sent in plenty of time for it to be fitted.  Getting a quality guy to fit the kitchen is as important as the actual units themselves.
  • Options
    Another vote for diy. Huge choice of units, millions of colours including chance to pay a bit more and have it painted any colour you want, still ends up less than equivalents at any of the other kitchen supplier names. Mine looks class well chuffed with it. But yeh, try get a decent joiner!
  • Options
    addix said:
    We've just had a kitchen fitted that came from Howden's.  The designer did mess up one side of the kitchen when doing the plan, but they were great at getting the correct units sent in plenty of time for it to be fitted.  Getting a quality guy to fit the kitchen is as important as the actual units themselves.
    You're in Beckenahm aren't you ?
    Which quality guy did you use ?
  • Options
    just change the doors on your current kitchen units for a refreshing new look and save lots of money. 
  • Options
    Over 200 decisions to be made with an average kitchen, so I was told by Richard at Homebase, orpington (top guy). Nightmare for an indecisive bloke doing it on his own, but I got there;
    E.g. cabinets (shaker or contemporary/ pull out drawers, shelving etc), appliances including extractor fan, and power supply, layout, flooring, lighting (under counter/ spotlights/ etc, etc), handles (or handleless), sink (one waste or two, steel or other, taps (boiler/ cold water filter, etc), worktop (laminate, real wood, granite or other), tiling and splashbacks, sockets/ power points (part of design, and get some usb sockets in there), breakfast bar, stools for breakfast bar, and so on.

I got designs done for free by b&q, wickes,  Homebase, Ikea, and wren. Was able to compare and contrast their ideas. Loved that part really. Get a good idea of their customer service quality during that stage.

Went with Homebase and then got quotes from two or three of their 'approved fitters'. Homebase price matched on one or two appliances, as did Currys for others.  Delighted with it overall, but cost was a lot more than I'd budgeted.  

One thing I didn't realise til a year later was the fitters had boxed in the flu testing nozzles on the gas boiler inside a cabinet, so that will need cutting away to be serviced properly, and could be awkward.
  • Options
    Had our kitchens done by homebase (supply only) as myself and a carpenter friend did the rest... They will insist if you don't have one to fit a new consumer unit, which rule of thumb they will charge £450 for fitting a board costing £60....

If you go to howdens, they have lots of fitters you can choose from, you give them your kitchen they give you a price... 

Make sure any electrical work is certified and tested...

If you don't want integrated appliances like we didn't you will get the appliances a lot cheaper by looking around... 

As I live between Basingstoke and Newbury, I don't have any local knowledge near you...

Get it right as its a big investment and of course needs to keep the other half happy. 
  • Options
    You can also get the companies around to design your kitchen as they may see something in the design that you didn't... 

I had wickets and b&q also round and found b&q kitchens were cheaper but wanted a ridiculous amount to fit it, which didn't include some extras like new ceiling and lights etc that was extra.

Wickes were the opposite expensive kitchens but installation cheaper.. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you are having a new boiler fitted too, make sure that it is done first before the installation, dependant on the boiler the condensate line needs to be plumbed to the waste and at least a 10mm border around the boiler....

Ensure where the edge of the boiler will be including the 10mm so you take the measurements from that line... 
  • Options
    Had our kitchens done by homebase (supply only) as myself and a carpenter friend did the rest... They will insist if you don't have one to fit a new consumer unit, which rule of thumb they will charge £450 for fitting a board costing £60....

If you go to howdens, they have lots of fitters you can choose from, you give them your kitchen they give you a price... 

If you don't want integrated appliances like we didn't you will get the appliances a lot cheaper by looking around... 

As I live between Basingstoke and Newbury, I don't have any local knowledge near you...

Get it right as its a big investment and of course needs to keep the other half happy. 
    That’s about the average for a consumer unit, maybe even a bit cheap, regardless of price of the unit the installer has to test, Then takes entire responsibility and liability for the existing install. 
  • Options
    addix said:
    Yes.

Dave...

He works with my neighbour who is a plasterer/decorator etc and I think the neighbour is the one with the Howden's account, but can check or get you a phone number.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

That’s about the average for a consumer unit, maybe even a bit cheap, regardless of price of the unit the installer has to test, Then takes entire responsibility and liability for the existing install. 
    Indeed hence why you get a certified job, all good quality engineers accept that...I paid less than that for mine as I got a friend who had an electrical company, if I had paid cash would have got it cheaper but with no test certificate...
  • Options
    I used a local company (in Rochester) for mine called the Kitchen Centre

Paid £6650 in total for a kitchen that is just as good as what Wickes were offering yet paid half the price... Included in that was any Electricals that needed doing (as have had an Extractor fan added), and any replastering that was required

Dave is a great bloke who owns the company and will come round measure up before you go for an appointment at his showroom behind Rochester Station to go over style / colours etc.

Those that come round arent actually employed by the Kitchen Centre (Removal / Electrics / Plastering) but is contracted out to people that Dave has worked with before with everything scheduled accordingly across the length of time required to do the work (so its not done in dribs and drabs).
  • Options
    @Covered End drop me a message. We had a Howdens fitted a few years back, my carpenter has an account.

They have a net cost and a gross cost (gross meant to include the fitters time etc) - my carpenter would just give you the net cost and charge his amount on top so it's crystal clear what you are paying for. One bit of advice, don't bother with any of their Lamona appliances, rebadged Beko crap!

They are pretty good kitchens TBH appliances aside.
  • Options
    If possible if you go independent, is ask for the cost to do the job rather than day rate, as four days often goes into 6 etc....get it in writing and handshake on it.
  • Options
    addix said:
    addix said:
    Yes.

Dave...

He works with my neighbour who is a plasterer/decorator etc and I think the neighbour is the one with the Howden's account, but can check or get you a phone number.
    No, don't worry thank you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    So Covid came along and I aborted.
    A couple of questions if I may. 

These Howden Fairford range are their medium/mid range made of MDF. 
    Plus a laminate worktop. 
    How much is a reasonable price to supply these cabinets and worktop please.

I can work out appliances & sink/tap myself as can look them up. 

How much would it cost to rip out, plumb in new sink, lay new flooring, new electrics/ring main, remove tiles & wallpaper, re tile & paint walls & fit cupboards & new appliances & replace 3 new doors.

I have a Howden's quote & a trusted builder.
    Just trying to work out if the quotes are/will be reasonable
    I can add on appliances cost myself. 

Kitchen 3.3m x 2.85m = 9.5 sqm.
    Based in Bromley so London prices.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    @Covered End Quick suggestion as I'm looking at kitchens for a new extension. We went to Howdens and looked (are looking) at the Fairford range. As we wanted MDF rather than chipboard, but didn't want the expense of wood doors  Long story short, they quoted around 13.5k for our design, which we were reasonably happy with. However, on recommendation, we took the design to Benchmarx who quored about 4k cheaper but with the more expensive wooden doors. MDF was about 5.5k cheaper.
  • Options
    Thanks, but I'd feel really bad doing that and promised I wouldn't.
  • Options
    I think ours from benchmarx came to around 20k and that included laminate tops and wooden doors, but also a new floor (amtico) new oven and hob, american fridge freezer and replastering of the walls and ceiling
  • Options
    Fair play, although, I'm not sure why you wouldn't get more than 1 quote if you like the design. I think we just articulated the howdens design to Benchmarx rather than giving them the drawing. Another thing though is following the Howdens quote we now get special offers that reduce the price by around 2k. That's why we are still considering choosing them.
  • Options
    Howdens currently have a sale 6th Sep-30th Oct.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Howdens currently have a sale 6th Sep-30th Oct.
    even when sale is not on you can get big discounts from Howdens depending on how much the fitter spends with them i managed to get 80% off 
  • Options
    Just take the design to Benchmark and see if there is much of a price difference , you dont have to go with Benchmark.
  • Options
    We used benchmarx and the fella who built our extension fitted it.
    Good thing about them and Howdens is that if you find something broke, smashed or faulty you can normally get a replacement the next day. Heard some horror stories of people waiting weeks/months for replacements from Wrens.
    My builder also said that if you go in toward the end of the month you tend to find better deals as the salesmen are pushing to get their commission. Worked for us but no idea if that's the norm.
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but would you (or anyone else) recommend your extension builder? 

I’ve no idea how it all works, do you get a company who design and sort out planning permission or do you find an architect and then builders after?

We have quite a lot of work needed in our house and I’m not sure where to start.