Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

An Americans take on his first trip to the Valley

Thought this might be of interest to a few on here. i always like to read what outsiders have to say about the club. This is a bit of a tourist guide piece but its rather well written. 

apologises if this has already been posted. it's dated back in October. before we got rid of that Belgium. 

https://englishsoccerguide.com/english-soccer-game-charlton-athletic/

Comments

• Excellent read!!
  • Enjoyable read.

("Greenwich Holiday Inn Express surrounded by empty fields". Blimey!!!)
  • edited February 2020
    An interesting perspective, and well written, but that piece made me slighty ambivalent to the idea of one day returning to the Prem.
  • I still find it fascinating that college (university) football and soccer stadiums are 60k capacities filled up week in week out in the USA. But it’s not the same as watching teams with proper history over here.
  • Most college football programs over here only have around 8-10 home games a season, same with the NFL, so people try to get to the games.
  • Interesting and well written piece.
  • edited February 2020
    Can you imagine ‘ the jump’ in the cupboard end and all the shouts of “Siddarn”!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2020
    Ross said:
    I still find it fascinating that college (university) football and soccer stadiums are 60k capacities filled up week in week out in the USA. But it’s not the same as watching teams with proper history over here.
    The numbers are even crazier than that. They dwarf the NFL and always have. It helps there are only games on Saturdays.

• Ross said:
    I still find it fascinating that college (university) football and soccer stadiums are 60k capacities filled up week in week out in the USA. But it’s not the same as watching teams with proper history over here.
    The numbers are even crazier than that. They dwarf the NFL and always have. It helps there are only games on Saturdays.

Michigan have a tradition of announcing the score of my old colleges games at HT and FT - https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2015/11/08/sports/ncaafootball/slippery-rocks-tie-to-michigan-is-all-in-the-name.amp.html
  • Must have been an amazing experience @ValleyGary playing football at uni out there mate.  Please tell me it was exactly like American Pie 

• Must have been an amazing experience @ValleyGary playing football at uni out there mate.  Please tell me it was exactly like American Pie 

Haha exactly like American Pie mate and I can tell you it definitely helped having an accent.
  • That video is great. We should do that at The Valley.
  • Ross said:

Football for a fiver, bunch of plastics... 
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Ross said:
    When it comes to college football, I have to disagree about the historical side. It was seen as more prestigious than the professional game until WWII or so, and even now, there is a LOT of loyalty toward one's alma mater (or local college side), though in perhaps a slightly more grandiose way than local football over here (not that that's good or bad - it's the respective cultures).

(Made me think of this relatively new tradition - but a great one nonetheless - Wisconsin doing the Jump Around: https://youtu.be/tODlPxhbGF8?t=40 )
    Got to experience this before. Everyone, and I mean everyone joins in! Really cool to see
  • Do that in some UK stadiums and there would be more than a light fitting falling down!
  • Enjoyable read.

("Greenwich Holiday Inn Express surrounded by empty fields". Blimey!!!)
    Who the feck told them to go an eat at the bloody Holiday Inn Express?