Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bovril

After hearing @Tavern has his bovril at half time I thought it was time to reacquaint myself with this beverage as it been a long time. 
At the Rovers match at half time me and @kakaka decided it was time for Bovril. Still in my memory was a very tasty and heart warming drink but it tasted awful. It tasted cardboardish and was unrecognisable from my memories. 
Now is that because it’s powdered form or my tastebuds have changed. Which begs the question how did they make bovril drinks in the old days. 

Get yer peanuts, Tanner a bag!

Comments

• Options
    They charge like 2.40 for it at The Valley, which is probably the most egregious markup in the history of financial exchange 
  • Options
    It's a very weak tepid version of what I occaisionally make for myself 
  • Options
    It is expensive for the little cup you get but so is tea, coffee and anything else you buy at a football ground.

I had my first cup in many, many years with a friend at the West Brom game and it did have sufficient taste to remind me of what used to be even if my personal preference might have been for a bit more strength to it.

It was actually nice to have my first drink in the ground of anything in a long while as I boycotted everything except my season tickets under Roland.
  • Options
    Make it at home, take a thermos. ( + Blanket for knees if required :smile:)
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    After hearing @Tavern has his bovril at half time I thought it was time to reacquaint myself with this beverage as it been a long time. 
    At the Rovers match at half time me and @kakaka decided it was time for Bovril. Still in my memory was a very tasty and heart warming drink but it tasted awful. It tasted cardboardish and was unrecognisable from my memories. 
    Now is that because it’s powdered form or my tastebuds have changed. Which begs the question how did they make bovril drinks in the old days. 

Bovril used to be in a marmite shaped jar and was of similar colour and texture. You used put a teaspoon or two in a mug and pour boiling water on it. 
  • Options
    I had one a few months ago. The (overseas) lad manning the portable drinks kiosk had no idea what Bovril was, or that his kiosk even had it! Quality training...
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Solidgone said:

Bovril used to be in a marmite shaped jar and was of similar colour and texture. You used put a teaspoon or two in a mug and pour boiling water on it. 
    Yep. That’s it, a congealed goo. But i can’t remember watching the service take a glob out of a jar and add the hot water ?
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure it's weaker than it was a season or two ago. 
  • Options
    It’s in pre made cups at the valley simply tear the lid off and add hot water