Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

West Dartford Grammar

Is this the previous name of Dartford Grammar or are/were the separate schools?

Comments

• I’ve never heard of it.

Dartford Grammar is the boys school. Dartford Grammar School for Girls is, well, the girls school.
  • Never heard of it either - are they getting the address mixed with the name of the school?
  • Think it is. Remember playing Dartford West in 72 on the current site when at Erith Grammar 
  • I'm sure there used to be a Dartford West school, although maybe just a girls school.
  • WSSWSS
    edited February 2020
    Yes, there used to be a Dartford West school (now a technology college). Definitely nothing to do with the Grammar.
  • WSS said:
    Yes, there used to be a Dartford West school (now a technology college). Definitely nothing to do with the Grammar.
    So @wss would thar have been  west central school at some point?

What is the technology college called now?
  • Yes, Dartford West was a different school; was definitely a comprehensive.Think there was separate boys and girls school
  • Wasn’t Dartford West the one round the back of Halfords that is now a college?
    I seem to remember it was a comp and possibly had separate boys and girls schools on the same site, whereas the grammar schools are a bit nearer Crayford with a bit more distance betwixt them?
  • edited February 2020
    There were two Dartford Wests, boys and girls. Both Secondary Moderns
  • Girls wore a horrible brown uniform. They were between the Grammars playing fields and the mighty Westgate primary school.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Isn't Dartford West now Leigh CTC?
  • Isn't Dartford West now Leigh CTC?
    Nope. CTC is now Leigh Academy and is East Dartford by Princes Park.
  • WSS said:
    So @wss would thar have been  west central school at some point?

What is the technology college called now?
    Dartford Science and Technology College I believe.

I’ve always known it as Dartford West probably since 1992 - not sure before that.
  • Jints said:
    There were two Dartford Wests, boys and girls. Both Secondary Moderns
    Both in that space between Shepherds Lane and Heath Lane
  • the Leigh academy used to be called the Downs  - its the one by Princes Roundabout. Dartford West Boys known for being a bit 'ard....Dartford Grammar school boys and Dartford Grammar School Girls never had the word "West" in title. I have a vague recollection that the Dartford West Boys or Girls did have central in the title. I'll check with my mum!
  • Checked with Mum (was signed in my son's account earlier) and she thinks Dartford West was called Dartford West Central at some point. Did some on line research and whilst there are so few references it looks probable it was called this at some point. Hope that helps
  • edited February 2020
    Cheers @PemburyAddick

I'm looking for a West Central School in Dartford pre WW2.

So am I right to think it's now the Technology college?
  • Cheers @PemburyAddick

I'm looking for a West Central School in Dartford pre WW2.

So am I right to think it's now the Technology college?
    There were 2 Dartford West schools, for boys and girls, both secondary moderns

The girls school is now the Dartford Science & Technology College (a non selective girls secondary school)

The boys school closed in 2000, and I think is now the Adult Education Centre

https://blocl.uk/schools/dartford-west-boys-school-118784

I wasn't living in Dartford then, so not sure why the boys school was closed, while the girls school stayed open
  • Thanks,. It's the boys school I was looking for.

Bit of research for the Museum
  • Sponsored links:

• The Grammar School, Dartford founded nearly 500 years ago originally nearer Erith but in West Dartford for 200 plus years at least. Boys school is the original. Latterly one of the very best state schools in the country. The girls school across the road is the Jenny come lately but nearly as successful 
    Dartford West boys school was the sump tank for the thickos of the area that became so unpopular with parents they couldn’t attract sufficient 11 year olds to keep it open. The girls school nearby with the tasteful brown uniform produced nearly as many babies as O levels thru the 80s but then went Academy and was turned around 
    there was never a west Dartford grammar school
    Both Dartford Grammars are to the west of the town but that could only confuse a stupid person 
  • The Grammar School, Dartford founded nearly 500 years ago originally nearer Erith but in West Dartford for 200 plus years at least. Boys school is the original. Latterly one of the very best state schools in the country. The girls school across the road is the Jenny come lately but nearly as successful 
    Dartford West boys school was the sump tank for the thickos of the area that became so unpopular with parents they couldn’t attract sufficient 11 year olds to keep it open. The girls school nearby with the tasteful brown uniform produced nearly as many babies as O levels thru the 80s but then went Academy and was turned around 
    there was never a west Dartford grammar school
    Both Dartford Grammars are to the west of the town but that could only confuse a stupid person 
    lol I think we'd moved on to whether Dartford West Boys was ever called Dartford West Central, and established it probably was. I think your assessment of why Dartford West Boys shut is probably spot on.
  • My son went to Dartford Grammar. One day Mick Jagger (being an ex pupil of DGS) was opening the new music wing. When my son got home from school, i said 'did you see Mick Jagger?', his response ...'Mick who?'.

• The Mick Jagger Centre or as we knew it, The Gym