Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Davis what does he offer

I hate to be negative and focus on one player but have seen Davis play now 4 or 5 times and he really offers absolutely nothing to the team. Pratley is a 100 times better. Davis is slow and passes the ball sideways or backwards every time. So frustrating. When is Pratley back? Soon please God.

Comments

• Options
    Totally agree. Offers nothing offensively or defensively. 
  • Options
    Forget that he is actually there most games.
  • Options
    Seems to me his only position could be at the base of a diamond. Looks lost in a three man midfield. 
  • Options
    Said this from his first game. Offers nothing. Really don’t see how he gets in the team. I’d send him back now even if we have to keep paying the wages he’s stealing.
  • Options
    Glad it's not just me then. 
  • Options
    Take it you have all been able to watch and analyse his game in the flesh then and not just from streams and highlights ? How many games has he had now? 4 maybe 5?
  • Options
    Davis is an average lower Championship midfielder. Yes he's better than playing someone like Dempsey, but not exactly someone to scare the opposition
  • Options
    He’s always been a ball bag to play against so with that fact added to the Birmingham fans being annoyed about losing him, I’m wondering if we got the same player? So far it seems not.
  • Options
    I shook my head in confusion when we signed this lad and the fella from Man city whose name I've already forgotten.

Southall engaged in some superb turd polishing on their arrival.

#everythingschangednothingschanged.
  • Options
    Yes, have seen him in the flesh and maybe it's the standard Pratley has set in that role - and others - all season may do the guy a disservice, but just doesn't quite seem to click. Really hope to be proved wrong, very popular with Birmingham fans but doesn't seem to fit. But as always, we don't with these bloke's every day, LB does. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He’s always been a ball bag to play against so with that fact added to the Birmingham fans being annoyed about losing him, I’m wondering if we got the same player? So far it seems not.
    After our happiness and the Brum fans annoyance, notable that Brum are unbeaten since he left, 3 wins and 2 draws...
  • Options
    Birmingham fans as clueless as our lot 
  • Options
    I do wonder if it’s a really bad injury to DP , he’s been out for a while, any news of his return?
  • Options
    Thought he looked ok against Luton
  • Options
    Thought he would be a decent signing - at the moment hes a poor mans Darren Pratley - also is it a coincidence that since hes been in the side Cullens performances have been poor. 
  • Options
    For me I can't really comment on Davis' qualities because the way we are playing means he is constantly under pressure. If he was better on the ball of course it would help, but he's an average lower champs DM and he's playing like that. If we had any creativity in the team, and he wasn't defending for 90 minutes then maybe he'd look better. 

But I think he looks worse because of what's around him.

If we're ambitious next season you would hope we can do better, but I think he's decent enough.
  • Options
    He's a decent player being used badly by Bowyer at the moment, as everyone is right now really. We're setting up very weirdly and it doesn't suit many of our players. I really hate the 3-5-2. Our wing-backs aren't really the modern wing-backs, even with Doughty and Matthews, so we usually just end up with an overrun midfield. Oztumer needs to be in that pocket up space further up the pitch, Cullen wants to pick the ball up deeper, drive with it if he can and pick passes. Davis wants to wreck up the place. These things aren't really that well suited to each other given the way we actualy play, so you often end up with Matthews further back defending and not providing that much out-ball width, Doughty doing whatever it is his brain does when the opposition have the ball, Cullen having to try and play as a destroying midfielder which he is not, Oztumer or Williams dropping out of the place they're effective and Davis being comedically overrun. He's there to ruin other teams' play not to build ours, but he's in the wrong set-up to do that so I don't really know why we continue to play the way we do.
  • Options
    I think he is class, no wonder why Birmingham fans miss him so much 😉
  • Options
    He looks like an absolute tank yet seems to not come out best in many 50 50s, and gets pushed off the ball a lot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I shook my head in confusion when we signed this lad and the fella from Man city whose name I've already forgotten.

Southall engaged in some superb turd polishing on their arrival.

#everythingschangednothingschanged.
    I have the same problem remembering names so I looked it up and it's Smith. Matthew Smith. One of the harder ones to remember to be fair.
  • Options
    redman said:
    Here we go again! Usual Charlton stuff wanting a scapegoat. Pratley had been playing out of his skin this season and I would agree we miss him. Having said that our midfield is stronger with Davis in than it would be without him while Pratley is injured. Saturday he wasn't in the game much while being played out of his position but once he dropped back and into the middle it helped change the game in our favour. 
    I'd rather go down with Morgan and Lapslie in there. 
  • Options
    Could put Kante in our midfield at the moment and he would probably struggle if we continue to play the 5-3-2 the way we do.

That being said I did think Davis would be a bit more dynamic, pacey and physical than Pratley, but not really seeing that moment. 
  • Options
    He looks like an absolute tank yet seems to not come out best in many 50 50s, and gets pushed off the ball a lot.
    A tank shaped in the form of a Toyota Aygo

• Options
    Davis is a non scoring midfielder (14 goals in over 300 appearances) but one of those players who likes to get his foot in and is happy to take one for the team if necessary.

The fact that he has 82 yellow cards to his name suggests that he is somewhat late in the tackle but also positively heroic in sacrificing himself for the cause. Or just late.

Whichever it is he's no Paul Scholes that's for sure.