Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Part time job for 16 yr old

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Just an idea if you do get desperate, and can’t find anything, try and find some voluntary work, always looks good on a cv.

And another one, someone I know who was struggling to get a job, when they were living abroad, said to the employer, they’d work for I can’t remember what it was a week, or a month, for free , and if they were no good they could get rid of them.

They got the job, worked their nuts off for free, said employer was,so impressed they took them on full time, at that age it’s all about getting your foot in the door.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Does he know what he wants to do as a career?  A life plan would impress employers, especially if he targeted that nichè.

Shame Greenwich Auctions has closed (there is one in Sidcup). If I was 17, in hindsight, a porter job there would be really interesting.
    He’s at college at the mo and wants to go to uni to do sports management and get his coaching badges alongside it.
    For the last year he has been coaching an u10 team on a voluntary basis, two training sessions a week and games on Sunday, usually at the Marathon ground. Wants some income ( on top of a decent monthly allowance) and independence now. Hopefully he will get something.
    Drop our Matt an e-mail.  He already has a half decent CV.
  • Options
    Just an idea if you do get desperate, and can’t find anything, try and find some voluntary work, always looks good on a cv.

And another one, someone I know who was struggling to get a job, when they were living abroad, said to the employer, they’d work for I can’t remember what it was a week, or a month, for free , and if they were no good they could get rid of them.

They got the job, worked their nuts off for free, said employer was,so impressed they took them on full time.
    Thanks. Good advice.
  • Options
    Hi All

My son who is 16, 17 in April is looking for a part time job, working Saturdays or Sundays and evenings.

He went around the shops in Bromley but most wouldn’t accept a paper CV and said to apply online. Trouble is that there are lots of these sites so am at a bit of a loss as to where to start.

Any Lifers able to advise on the best way forward? He can get easily to Bromley, Lewisham, Catford, Beckenham.

Thanks for your time.
    Garden centres are always worth a try for seasonal work and often need people at weekends and evenings, when most keen gardeners are able to do their shopping. Good luck to your son.
  • Options
    Tom_Hovi said:
    Hi All

My son who is 16, 17 in April is looking for a part time job, working Saturdays or Sundays and evenings.

He went around the shops in Bromley but most wouldn’t accept a paper CV and said to apply online. Trouble is that there are lots of these sites so am at a bit of a loss as to where to start.

Any Lifers able to advise on the best way forward? He can get easily to Bromley, Lewisham, Catford, Beckenham.

Thanks for your time.
    Garden centres are always worth a try for seasonal work and often need people at weekends and evenings, when most keen gardeners are able to do their shopping. Good luck to your son.
    Thank you
  • Options
    How about this @sirjohnhumphreyhttps://cact.org.uk/jobs/casual-footballsports-coach
    Part of the club and fits in perfectly with his studies. CACT are very accommodating and have taken on my daughter as a volunteer photographer, which she is loving.
  • Options
    cblock said:
    Sorry , can't help but how crap is that, surely  going around the shops looking for work with a paper cv
    shows a willingness to work and should be rewarded, more so than doing it online.

Good luck to your son.
    I suspect a lot of these places are chains so they don't have anyone with the responsibility for taking anyone on actually on the premises.  On that basis, if he wants to apply in person he should put his efforts into owner-run establishments.  Other than that, go through the websites of the chains.
  • Options
    On East Street (I think) - next to where The Bell pub used to be - is Falconwood Employment Agency.  25 odd years ago as a late teen it was my place of choice as they always had loads of temp / part time stuff.  Not great jobs but ok to earn a bit for the first time.  They are still there and still look the same with paper printed adverts in the window.  A long time since I went in but maybe worth a go.
    It's on London Road, the main road from Catford. 
  • Options
    How about this @sirjohnhumphreyhttps://cact.org.uk/jobs/casual-footballsports-coach
    Part of the club and fits in perfectly with his studies. CACT are very accommodating and have taken on my daughter as a volunteer photographer, which she is loving.
    Thank you.  He is looking for a level 1 course to complete so will let him know.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    On East Street (I think) - next to where The Bell pub used to be - is Falconwood Employment Agency.  25 odd years ago as a late teen it was my place of choice as they always had loads of temp / part time stuff.  Not great jobs but ok to earn a bit for the first time.  They are still there and still look the same with paper printed adverts in the window.  A long time since I went in but maybe worth a go.
    Must be two then as address of the one I went to is 187 High Street.  I was wrong on the East Street bit.  It is the same part of the High Street where The Bell used to be and Star and Garter / Everyman Cinema is..  

http://www.falconwoodemployment.co.uk/

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Has he thought about becoming a ref? My son started reffing at 15 and now 17. Always in demand and gets £25 a match. Summer tournaments are about £125.

It would fit the course he wants to do and he can be earning weekends while at University. Saturday morning game will at least buy the beer for the night!

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Has he thought about becoming a ref? My son started reffing at 15 and now 17. Always in demand and gets £25 a match. Summer tournaments are about £125.

It would fit the course he wants to do and he can be earning weekends while at University. Saturday morning game will at least buy the beer for the night!

I have spoken to him about reffing. I think as so much of his week is sports based he fancies doing something a bit different and wi5 different people. Thanks for the idea.
  • Options
    The Charlton Community Trust takes on part time football/sports coaches - might be worth contacting them.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Has he tried the local gastro type pubs or chains that do food? They're always looking for weekend table staff and if he's cheerful and attentive he could earn a fortune in tips around Bromley.
    My son got a job with Weatherspoons at weekends (he’s now 18 but was 17 at the time) They really take the pee with pay rates. Pay was something like £5 an hour and they were only giving him 4 hour shifts at the times when offer staff didn’t want to do it. 
  • Options
    my daughter is seventeen and works part time In Bluewater. Loads of her friends appear to do so also 
  • Options

When I was 15/16 I got qualified as a referee, maybe something you could look into.

Referee'd my local goals league matches. This was a while back but I'm sure it was £20 p/h. Did the odd Sunday games for £20 a game too when I wasn't playing myself. also the 5-a-side tournaments I got around £120 a day for that.

• Options
    iaitch said:
    Must be two then as address of the one I went to is 187 High Street.  I was wrong on the East Street bit.  It is the same part of the High Street where The Bell used to be and Star and Garter / Everyman Cinema is..  

http://www.falconwoodemployment.co.uk/

Yes you're right it is High Street near the Bell and opposite the Bromley Picture House. Apologies for that, I looked at Google maps and it looked like London Road.