Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Home Insurance possible claim advice

We have had some flooding in my area and my summer house got washed away and written off. I also had some damage to some roofing cement and a crack in a sky light. 

At the time it happened I thought with an excess of £350 its not worth claiming as it could push my prices up. My neighbour got completely flooded and his claim will be about £60k. I did not want a black mark on my insurance in case it happens to us. 

The summer house would cost £1,500-£2,500 to replace with a quality one. 

If anyone has any advice about would they claim or not that would be great. 

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    robroy said:
    We have had some flooding in my area and my summer house got washed away and written off. I also had some damage to some roofing cement and a crack in a sky light. 

At the time it happened I thought with an excess of £350 its not worth claiming as it could push my prices up. My neighbour got completely flooded and his claim will be about £60k. I did not want a black mark on my insurance in case it happens to us. 

The summer house would cost £1,500-£2,500 to replace with a quality one. 

If anyone has any advice about would they claim or not that would be great. 

Thanks
    How much flooding has there been in your area? It's hard to know how insurance companies will hike up prices if a lot of properties have been affected in your area.
  • Options
    I live in West Yorkshire so plenty.

It is just my neighbour claiming though currently. I have been told I am covered for flooding currently with no issues. It has flooded twice down there in 25 years  
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    The insurance company will have a record of 'storm damage' so, in theory, the claim wouldn't be contested too much if valid and made reasonably quickly.

However, some policies exempt outbuildings like sheds. Is a summer house a shed for insurance purposes? Read the small print I guess.

Some buildings policies have no claims clauses like motor insurance too I believe. Again read the small print.

Probably not what you wanted to read but points to consider.
  • Options
    I'm assuming you're not in a high risk area but if you claim for flooding you'll have to declare this on future policies which will obviously as you say bump up premiums. Each insurer will treat this differently so it's tricky to answer. 

You could have a look at some online quotes to see how they vary?
  • Options
    If your Summer House is included in the policy and it's £1500 to £2500 to replace against a £350 excess, it seems a no-brainer. What's the point having insurance if you aren't going to claim when necessary? Your premiums will rise anyway next year along with everyone elses.
  • Options
    Very good point about others claiming. They will probably load anyway based on area if losses are excessive in their eyes when it comes to renewal time or increase compulsory excesses as an alternative.
  • Options
    I'm assuming you're not in a high risk area but if you claim for flooding you'll have to declare this on future policies which will obviously as you say bump up premiums. Each insurer will treat this differently so it's tricky to answer. 

You could have a look at some online quotes to see how they vary?
    You will almost certainly have to declare it even if you don't claim. Insurers generally ask if you have had any incidents in the last x years, not just claims. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    What Rizzo is important, you have to declare to insurers, and to prospective buyers in the future, whether you claim or not.
    Flood Re Insurance (which we all contribute to via a levy) should keep a lid on future insurance prices (look into it).
  • Options
    Brilliant thanks guys
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If your Summer House is included in the policy and it's £1500 to £2500 to replace against a £350 excess, it seems a no-brainer. What's the point having insurance if you aren't going to claim when necessary? Your premiums will rise anyway next year along with everyone elses.
    That’s the way I’d view it too.