Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ex/Current Players/Managers you’ve unexpectedly met

Just saw a photo that came up on my history timeline on Facebook and it still amazes me today how I managed to meet Jorge Costa and played football with him while I was holidaying in Cape Verde. 

Also remember seeing Eddie Youds at a leisure centre a good number of years ago. 

Was drinking in one of my locals and all of a sudden Lennie Lawrence came into the pub. Had a good chat with him and I think I bought him a drink.

Comments

• Options
    Clive Mendonca and his wife one lunchtime, years back, in a Chinese restaurant in Bexleyheath. 
  • Options
    Dowie when I was doing crepes funily enough. Me and my Mrs was yalking to his wife for about half hour as they were guests at a wedding we worked at, and she was telling us about her charity she's involved with etc, we were getting on really well. Then she said, "Meet my husband" and his boat appeared round the side of our gazebo. To say I was lost for words is an understatement
    hope you managed to keep your crepe down!
  • Options
    Dowie when I was doing crepes funily enough. Me and my Mrs was yalking to his wife for about half hour as they were guests at a wedding we worked at, and she was telling us about her charity she's involved with etc, we were getting on really well. Then she said, "Meet my husband" and his boat appeared round the side of our gazebo. To say I was lost for words is an understatement

I had been to a rugby game at Twickenham on the Saturday and was staying at a hotel near Euston. When checking out on the Sunday morning, Dowie was checking in. He was doing punditry for a game at White Hart Lane that afternoon.

We talked briefly about the game he was going to but I didn't mention Charlton as if I had I would have been very tempted to chin him! The abiding memory of that unfortunate meeting was that he is even uglier at conversation distance that how he comes across on TV.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Went to a football quiz night. John Gregory was an unexpected speaker for some reason and managed to get him to join my team after he'd done his Q&A. He was rubbish.
  • Options
    I met Martin Pringle in the toilets at IKEA in Croydon.  This was when he was just initially on loan to us.  I said 'Hi Martin' and wandered out, any more of a conversation might have been a bit weird given the surroundings.
  • Options
    A very pissed A Barness @ Butlins

A very shouty S Jones managing the opposing side my son was playing.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    See John Barnes up the City when I was working at the Barbican Center. I was sitting outside a pub with an oppo and he come out of that Brewery Building (Whitbreads?) up there. Gave it the old "Alright Barnsey" as he walked past