Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What's the point of EFL due diligence?

It seems like anyone can get through so what exactly does it check?

Comments

• Options
    Whatever their mission statement is at a guess, probably something along the lines of- 'To preserve the integrity of their competitions (And collective interests of their members probably)' and  not much else.

What I do think is worth bearing in mind, is the difference between company law, and efl rules- they are separate domains and I think too easily confused.
  • Options
    I am getting really sick of this... 

It's the EFL's fault. 

There is no legal reason Matthew Southall could have failed the fit and proper test. In fact the sage @PragueAddick was at the EFL's door insisting they approved the deal.

Now he will be in his high horse, with lots of other people, saying they should never have let him be involved.  Let's all get to the efl and blame them.  Brilliant idea. Haven't the efl have done thier job by saying you can't spend money that we don't know where it comes from? 

We moaned at the EFL cos Roland wanted to much money for the club and there should be "meetings"?

What the hell is that going to solve? 

The real problem is every club's fans wants every thing. They want an owner (or representative) that engages with the fans, will invest in the club, and has rock sold judgment on the "manager" and player recruitment and retention.

All CARD did was make KM resign.  They didn't make Roland sell the club.  Roland put the club up for sale almost straight away.

No disrespect ment but, the valley party had one job, to get the council to change thier planning permission choice. Apart from thier campaign costs and time it didn't cost much. Did it?

Now people expect the same result taking on 10s of millions of pounds on investment?  
  • Options
    @Cafc43v3r Could I politely invite you to shut the fuck up with unnecessary personal snarks at this time? Thank you.

There were a whole load of people on here who were ready to storm the EFL offices within about a week of the deal being announced. I wasnt one of them. I was one of those who went to a meet there back in 2018, and came away with certain understandings of how the process was supposed to work, including timeframes. 

One thing we were not told - but which we all know now - is that the EFL does not feel it necesary to inform the public of transfer embargoes. This underlines the overall problem. We shout and scream at the EFL because we believe they have a duty to us. They even pay lip service to that belief. But in truth everything they do has been sanctioned by the people they represent, the 72 club owners, including at any time some pretty dodgy characters. The same is true of the FAPL. There is in fact no body in English football accountable to the fans, and no regulation of those bodies by a State institution accountable to citizens who may be fans. That is the root of the problem. Under the last DCMS minister Damian Collins there were clear signs of a move towards such a regulator, but he shafted himself during the Tory leadership process, and is no more in that position. We are on our own, Now our only friends are diligent journalists, who will still rely on us to do the initial spadework indicating wrong doing. And even David Conn couldn’t save Bury.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    If the whole club had been purchased this wouldn't have been an issue. It is perfectly reasonable for fans to want the whole club to be purchased. The fact is, all of us would have been against a deal that split the club. All of us. And we were not told about this at the time. Duchatelet did not tell us and certainly the ESI didn't tell us. In fact, Southall originally told us the opposite.

There is no point at us sniping at each other. There are three people in the middle of this. Southall, Nimer and yes, Duchatelet. I am not going to stop going on about that prick. 
  • Options
    Did you not, comically, threaten to send an email to the EFL hours before the take over was announced?  Demanding answers? 

What have any of your "meetings" achieved?  I have said it before that I admire your integrity and the energy you, and others, invest I don't understand what you think any of it achieves.  I think I know what you want to achieve and generally I agree with your version of what it should be like. 

Why don't you request a meeting with the Glazers, Kroenke, Levy et al and ask them, very kindly to give up thier TV money and gift 51% of thier business to their fans?  Because that would just be the tip of the iceberg. 

As regard to a regulator, I'll draft the charter for you.

Buy better players
    Employ better managers
    Never lie
    Tea and biscuits with the right people
    Spend loads of your own money
    Give it away to someone else when we ask you nicely

Unless you form your own baseketball style league none of it is going to happen unless, we get to a stage where the purpose of it football club is purely for the benifit of its fans and local communities.  As far as I am aware that has never been the case. 
  • Options
    To answer the original question:
    There is no EFL due diligence - there is a tick box form for the 'Officers and Directors Test' which is mostly them self-declaring they don't have any recent criminal convictions and aren't currently an undischarged bankrupt.  And there's more recently been a value and source of funds declaration requirement.
    Having £x in  a bank account controlled by the football club, proves just that money was there on that day, proves nothing as to what use it will be put tomorrow or the next day.  What use the EFL can make of knowing what/where the money is supposed to have originated from is hard to fathom.  Maybe there's some half baked lip service being paid to responsible/legal funds only being used, but UK banks are already under stringent compliance rules to ascertain that funds aren't being paid through them that arise from criminal/dodgy/ politically sensitive sources, so what utility EFL can possibly have in that process is nil. 
    Be that as it may, there is no good reason why the paperwork wasn't forwarded to the EFL the moment it was filled in.

Filling a couple of forms and momentarily transferring funds to an account is not and never could be construed as Due diligence, it's just admin for admin's sake.
    Due diligence is a process that might be undertaken by a party to a contract, when that party seeks assurance as to the level of risk to which it is exposed in becoming party to that contract.  One's attitude to risk determines how rigorous, lengthy and therefore costly that DD process needs to be.

If you're a spiv selling a bankrupt business for a one off cash price to some europrat pensioner, you don't give a funk about him so long as the cheque clears.
    If you're a europrat pensioner and you want to offload that bankrupt business in instalments you'd probably want to ascertain the wealth and integrity of the parties offering to pay you something now and £50M in 6 months time.
    If you're an executive (who gives a sh!t) forming a consortium with 'the money' you might want to check out how wealthy, reliable, professional, or puritanical 'the money' has been up to now.
    If you're 'the money' getting into bed with some flash manc youngster in an overseas business you've got no experience in, you'd probably want to know what that "executive" has been up to recently, the circles he hangs with, his tendency to p!ss money up the wall like a drunken sailor on shore leave, how recently he'd told a court he hasn't a pot to piss in,

that sort of thing might qualify as DD

• Options
    edited March 2020
    EFL for some reason kept the transfer embargo secret, despite info from the club saying we were in for Toney and Maddison which they knew was untrue.  Boycotters bought half season tickets on the basis of believing the club was now properly run and looking to spend millions on players. EFL have condoned fraud or worse.
  • Options
    EFL for some reason kept the transfer embargo secret, despite info from the club saying we were in for Toney and Maddison which they knew was untrue.  Boycotters bought half season tickets on the basis of believing the club was now properly run and looking to spend millions on players. EFL have condoned fraud or worse.
    That is not my understanding of the situation, I am under the impression that the EFL informed the club of the transfer embargo and it was the club that did not inform us, the fans.

We were never really in for any player, it was all smoke and mirrors to get the fans onside, bums on seats and shift a few half season tickets and it worked, a lot of fans fell for it hook, line and sinker.

You saw from the dross we did sign in the window exactly what ESI's intentions were, there never was any money floating about and events have confirmed this.