Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ending the season early? (+++ALL GAMES CANCELLED TILL 4 APRIL+++)

Comments

• Options
    Isn’t there a precedent for this ? What happened with the Football League season in the Second World War ?
    The 1939-40 season was abandoned after three matches (Charlton were in eighth place in Division One).
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Play out the remaining games on this, one nominated player from each club.

That was great - had one of those as a kid. 
  • Options
    The Second World War is a precedent, however there is so much money in football now, I can’t see them simply cancelling the season (and of course the season had only just started in 1939 - we are at the back end of this one)

Sides in promotion places will be happy to see the season finish now and get promoted - sides in relegation places will be getting lawyers involved straight away if that happened

I guess the only answer is a suspension, although if this virus problem goes on for a lot longer than expected, it could be that this season is played out at the back end of this year, and next season is shortened e.g. clubs play each other only once, rather than home and away
  • Options
    All depends on how long this lasts for. There’s an international break in 2 weeks time, so cancel that for a start and use it to catch up games if allowed. Move the Euros back 1 month, or if that’s not possible then cancel it until next summer instead of the Nations League Finals. Even if this takes 4 weeks off the season, it still should be able to finish.
  • Options
    Regarding Liverpool, would a simple vote by prem managers work.
  • Options
    This will sum up Charlton’s luck won’t it. The first time we drop into the bottom 3, they’ll end the season.
  • Options
    We are at least a month away from the UK being at anywhere near the peak rate of infection.

If you say that will last 4 weeks your looking at mid May before the situation starts to improved, will probably be at the earliest June by the time we get back to infection levels as they are now.

Come the 1st of July we, and a lot of other teams, can't actually field a team.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Scoham said:
    Play out the remaining games on this, one nominated player from each club.

That was great - had one of those as a kid. 
    No good, the players have to face each other and would be too close. Maybe if they wear protective suits it could work. Mind you FIFA can be played in different places. This has to be favourite.
  • Options
    Extend the season to June/July. If doesn’t get any better then have to call it. Personally, think 3/4 of a season is enough to say that league should finish today instead of voiding it. I accept that would mean relegation.
    Agreed but very harsh on a whole number of teams. Form can change massively in the last quarter. 
    How would play off places be resolved?
  • Options
    Likelihood is that the Euros will be postponed till 2021, and leagues will be allowed to run into June to finish. 

That would be an extra two months for the EFL, the problem is the peak of infections in the UK is currently predicted for June. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:
    Extend the season to June/July. If doesn’t get any better then have to call it. Personally, think 3/4 of a season is enough to say that league should finish today instead of voiding it. I accept that would mean relegation.
    Agreed but very harsh on a whole number of teams. Form can change massively in the last quarter. 
    How would play off places be resolved?
    Rock Paper Scissors
  • Options
    Another question, if you suspended it, how all gap can you have before the players loose "match fitness" and need a preseason before you start again? 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Another question, if you suspended it, how all gap can you have before the players loose "match fitness" and need a preseason before you start again? 
    You argue it is the same for everyone.

If you are going to keep the current standings, this isn't looking what suits us, but you would imagine you limit promotions and relegations to the top two and bottom two (three lower down). This is logical as the play offs would also be cancelled so whilst a third from bottom team could have an argument, a third place team in the division below less so. As that position does not currently guarantee promotion.
  • Options
    Been saying this since yesterday everyone still talking about the Hull game, no way is it going ahead.

Premier League will suspend and EFL willl follow suit.

Can see both suspending temporarily for 4--6 weeks to see if the virus goes and if its safe to play again.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    And if it ultimately gets cancelled, we will keep our Championship place for the reasons I stated in my previous post.......unless we are docked points!
  • Options
    I worked with the RFL in a past job, and they are confirming again that they are probably the worst governing body in the UK 

RFL statement on Leeds Rhinos

The Rugby Football League has released a statement after Leeds Rhinos announced earlier that they would not travel to Catalan Dragons this weekend for their scheduled match after a player showed symptoms of coronavirus.

"We have been advised by Leeds Rhinos that they will not be travelling to France to fulfil their scheduled fixture against Catalans Dragons.

"The consequences of this decision on the match, and any sanction, will be determined by the RFL Board."

Remarkably that suggests the RFL have not ruled out sanctioning Leeds for pulling out of the fixture

• Options
    Bloody hell.

The Players Championship has just been cancelled after the first round. Was watching it last night & then they had said that it was going to continue but without any spectators for the final 3 rounds. Now completely scrapped. 

It going to be a boring weekend.... ..
  • Options
    It would be absolutely devastating if the one week all season we were in the relegation zone was the week that they decided to take the table as it is. I don't think I could recover from that. I don't know how successful any legal challenges would be either as the virus protection would probably win out over anything else, and we saw with the West Ham/Sheffield Utd debacle that the league would rather have millions paid out than actually change anything to do with the league itself.

Plus we couldn't mount a legal challenge anyway because by then the club will have already spent all the remaining money on bitches (allegedly).
  • Options
    Been saying this since yesterday everyone still talking about the Hull game, no way is it going ahead.

Can see both suspending temporarily for 4--6 weeks to see if the virus goes and if its safe to play again.

Sky are claiming the league will be suspended for three weeks

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The one positive I can see is that my prediction league result will be at least average
  • Options

can't see three weeks as being enough.
  • Options
    should play any matches this weekend between unaffected teams, then probably little choice to suspend indefinitely, Euros will be cancelled so there will probably be time to make it up
  • Options

can't see three weeks as being enough.
    I think the 3 weeks is because it then takes us past the International break. Can then re-group & assess the situation. 
  • Options

Probably there starting point

Premier League probably do the same, they will ssy lets suspend till after the international break and see where we are then.

Personally cant see 3 weeks being long enough 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Question: 

If rest of season is cancelled and final standings are as they are now. Bottom club is replaced by top League 1 club. 2nd bottom club is replaced by second placed League 1 club. 3rd bottom club is replaced by League 1 play off winner. But Play offs would be cancelled so no League 1 play off winner. Who takes third place from League 1 then?
  • Options
    We are nowhere near peak yet, they should play the round of games this week and use the international break to assess the situation
  • Options
    i guess if there's enough time before the start of next season they could suggest a promotion/relegation play off. though tbh that wouldn't make it any fairer. 
  • Options
    Hate to say it but bet the EFL take the easy way out and do this while sitting on the sanctions they should be imposing on Wednesday and Derby. A correct and proper 12 or 21 points deduction for Wednesday would relegate them.