Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Name the players

2»

Comments

• Options

Still want to know who the fella on the left is. 
  • Options
    I went to Graham Tutt's testimonial game v Sunderland but don't remember this game being played. Was it before the main match or on a different occasion? If the former then my memory is worse than I thought.

I am pretty sure that Malcolm McDonald made a guest appearance for Charlton in the game against Sunderland. He was awesome and his speed made the rest look like a team of geriatrics.
    I looked it up in Home & Away. McDonald scored twice as Charlton beat Sunderland 3-2.  I couldn't see any record of this other game though, although Colin Cameron seems to list only games against proper/existing teams rather than makeshift ones. Is there a date for this match?

I do like the idea of a goalkeepers XI, I wonder how they got on.

Interesting that Peter Burrowes had a flag.
  • Options
    Would love one of those shirts
    Would love some of that hair.
  • Options
    I want to know why the bloke far left has an enormous Phillips screw in his right shin.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Davidson looks like he’s got a really long right arm.
    This was at the time when he used to use his “Nick, Nick” sketch.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I went to Graham Tutt's testimonial game v Sunderland but don't remember this game being played. Was it before the main match or on a different occasion? If the former then my memory is worse than I thought.

I am pretty sure that Malcolm McDonald made a guest appearance for Charlton in the game against Sunderland. He was awesome and his speed made the rest look like a team of geriatrics.
    I looked it up in Home & Away. McDonald scored twice as Charlton beat Sunderland 3-2.  I couldn't see any record of this other game though, although Colin Cameron seems to list only games against proper/existing teams rather than makeshift ones. Is there a date for this match?

Look at Charltons next home game played against Millwall later that month .Many photos but no names given.
    Millwall home game 8th april 1977
  • Options
    I think both matches were played the same night, at the time a friend of mine was doorman at the Valley club, after his testimonial GrahamTutt had a private reception in there and my mate was told nobody was allowed in without an official invite. Along comes Mervyn Day without said invite, "sorry you can't come in" says the doorman, "do you know who I am" says big Merv "yes" said the doorman " But I'm Mervyn Day" "l know" says the doorman "and you still can't come in".
    Mervyn sheepishly retreated to his car and later returned with an invite he had recovered from it's glove compartment.
    Long winded I know but that's why I believe both matches were played the same night as Mervyn Day wouldn't have been involved in the main match.
  • Options
    Extract from the programme

a few faces in the pic not listed in the programme

One for @Elthamaddick

The late Les Turner and family one of the well wishers

My old address 40+ years ago!
  • Options
    A very decent list of celebs in that lineup, the likes of Denis Waterman, Patrick Mower, George Layton and Robert Powell were all well know actors at the time, plus Edmunds and other DJs like Burnett and Scott
  • Options
    Stig said:

Look at Charltons next home game played against Millwall later that month .Many photos but no names given.
    Millwall home game 8th april 1977

CHARLTON 3 Millwall 2   B)B)B)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Celebrity team for Graham Tutt's testimonial.

Need to put names to faces.

left to right back row  ----,----,----,DennisWaterman,Tony Gubba,John Motson,John Lyons,----,

left to right front row  ----, ----,Jim Davison,Bill Oddie. 

100% CERTAIN OVER ONES I HAVE NAMED.

Others have said back row 1st left Steve Howe or Steve Tongue

back row 2nd left Jackie Stewart or Jim Rosenthal

back row 3rd left Jess Conrad

front row 1st left Steve Tongue or Alex Harvey

Think Steve Tongue is FRONT ROW 2ND LEFT but not certain, but i do recall Alex Harvey that night.
  • Options
    Celebrity team for Graham Tutt's testimonial.

Need to put names to faces.

left to right back row  ----,----,----,DennisWaterman,Tony Gubba,John Motson,John Lyons,----,

left to right front row  ----, ----,Jim Davison,Bill Oddie. 

100% CERTAIN OVER ONES I HAVE NAMED.

Others have said back row 1st left Steve Howe or Steve Tongue

back row 2nd left Jackie Stewart or Jim Rosenthal

back row 3rd left Jess Conrad

front row 1st left Steve Tongue or Alex Harvey

Think Steve Tongue is FRONT ROW 2ND LEFT but not certain, but i do recall Alex Harvey that night.
    Front row 1st left looks like Dave Dee from Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick & Titch and it also says Dave Dee in the programme