Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best Football Manager version?

Comments

• Options
    MrLargo said:
    Only a matter of days before I cave into temptation. Think 03 was the last version i played and that was definitely starting to get too intricate for me.

Summer of 98, my parents went on holiday for a fortnight. I reckon 10 days out of 14 I was on the PC at 8am and played solidly through to 1 or 2am. Might explain why I didn't get laid much as a youngster.

Love that so many people have had the same obsession with it. I've heard stories of people putting on a suit when their side was in the Champions League Final, and I once found myself scrolling through a Champ Manager message board where people were reminiscing about their favourite players from older versions of the game, obscure Dutch defenders, Leyton Orient reserves and so on who went on to become superstars of people's CM teams.
    Cant stress how disappointed I was when Kim Kallstrom's loan at Arsenal didnt work out - He's another Id also focus on signing each game and always wanted to see him in the Premier League

Tallan Martin (the kid I mentioned further up) was playing in the NSW Premier Division when I went to Sydney on Holiday one summer... took a two hour train down to Wollongong one day as his team were playing them. Game was bloody awful but what was remarkable was the fact that both teams got penalties yet each got taken by Goalkeepers rather than the Strikers, unsurprisingly meant that both got saved quite easily
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51904874

As an aside I have a genuine signed to tonton zola t shirt in my man cave :-) 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Best version will always be Championship Manager 01/02

You can download it for free now

https://www.fmscout.com/a-championship-manager-0102-free-download.html

3-1-2-1-2 formation

Chiotis

N'Diaye Okoronkwo West

Said

Kerr Wellens

Zolo-Moukoko

Collins Farnerud

(To Madeira is cheating because he's not real)
    No way, 41212

Chiostis
    Duff, Okowonkwo, Klompe, West
    Said
    Kerr, Doukas
    Moukoko or Bakircioglu
    And two of Tsigalko, Skalidis or Papadopoulos upfront.
    Crap, I forgot a player... it was 3-1-3-1-2! Gonna sneakily edit in Kim Kallstrom...

Tsigalko was class, could never bring myself to drop David Collins though.
  • Options
    Worth watching if you’ve never seen this before https://youtu.be/SN92RPIYaeo
  • Options
    Thinking about it, the version I played had Charlton in the Championship (or whatever it was called) so probably was 1999/2000

Just like 'arry Redknapp, I had my favourites. The one which stuck in my mind as doing a great job for Charlton, whenever I played Championship Manager was Kevin Betsy. Now England U17 coach, I taught him well
  • Options
    Championship Manager 97/98 was peak for me.
    Especially as you could edit it in Dos and put yourself in as a player with a rating of 20 on everything.
  • Options
    Thinking about it, the version I played had Charlton in the Championship (or whatever it was called) so probably was 1999/2000

Just like 'arry Redknapp, I had my favourites. The one which stuck in my mind as doing a great job for Charlton, whenever I played Championship Manager was Kevin Betsy. Now England U17 coach, I taught him well
    That version was good until I learnt you could cheat, could never really play it again. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51904874

As an aside I have a genuine signed to tonton zola t shirt in my man cave :-) 
    He was prolific behind the front two or up front.
  • Options
    Ahhh

Daniel Prodan, Viktor Leonenko, an 18 year old Danny Murphy, Peter Smith

All bedrocks of my unbeatable Charlton Athletic side playing a 4 3 1 2 

Cherno Samba 

Me and my mate bought the italian and french versions of the game circa 96 as well. My PSG team were well ahead of their time, had a cracking right winger Claude Makelele, wonder what happened to him. Bixente Lizarazu, Zidane, Djorkaef, Martins, Didier Domi, Bernard Lama, Le Guen. Pretty sure at one point the french national team all played for me. Oh and a bargain Ryan Giggs who I picked up somehow 

Discovered a cheat in the 96 game where you could buy players for nowt. Up your bid so high it got accepted then modify the bid down to 0. 

This game also went a long way to ruining my GCSEs 
  • Options
    Love the Championship Manager and Football Manager games in the past.
    But the best one on Playstation in my eyes is LMA Manager, would play hours and hours on that game. How they haven't brought that back I do not know.
    LMA manager was quality, I wished they had that now for PS4, come to think of it they dont have any manager games for ps4

I used to write watch the cup draws on LMA manager and write down my predictions for who I thought would win each round lol

Nothing better on a rainy day than playing a bit of LMA Manager
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    there is a way to get an offline login on ebay for 2020 the grand sum of £3 - i say no more. google away my friends
  • Options
    What a great idea! Was going out of my mind with boredom and dont have a console. Gonna get! 

The best manager game was the original one ahhh forget what it was called....
  • Options
    Ultimate soccer manager! Especially when u could afford to put the corner stands in and fill the place up with hot dog and programme stalls
  • Options
    edited March 2020

• Options
    Into 
  • Options

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    Premier Manager (92) was my game.
    Always started off with Wycombe Wanderers in the conference.
    I had it on the Atari ST, genuinely surprised the floppy disk didn't wear out.

Floppy disk, kids Google it.
    @PopIcon
    Wycombe on Premier Manager was epic. I still remember loads of the Wycombe player names:

Hyde
    Carroll
    Creaser
    Crossley
    Scott
    Stapleton
    Guppy

• Options
    PopIcon said:

@PopIcon
    Wycombe on Premier Manager was epic. I still remember loads of the Wycombe player names:

Hyde
    Carroll
    Creaser
    Crossley
    Scott
    Stapleton
    Guppy

Love it, I remember some of those names.
  • Options
    2121 said:

Looks like you've built Spurs a replica of Wisla Krakow's stadium

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Premier Manager 2 was brilliant too.

• Options

Halifax Town was the team to start with in that game 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Got my copy of FM2020 and been playing this evening. Frustratingly the Charlton squad I've inherited is the post January window one, so despite being back in July preseason, I've no Gallagher and am stuck with the rubbish Southall brought in!
  • Options
    Got my copy of FM2020 and been playing this evening. Frustratingly the Charlton squad I've inherited is the post January window one, so despite being back in July preseason, I've no Gallagher and am stuck with the rubbish Southall brought in!
    When you start a new game you should have the option of which database you use.
  • Options

Front 3 of Obebo, Greenwood and Paterson

That game was the beginning of the end for me academically 
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Yep but I must admit I used to start as them and Welling and sell Greenwood, Thompstone and Paterson to Welling.
  • Options

Remember coming home from school and my nan had unplugged my zx spectrum to hoover my bedroom. Charlton were top of the league, I cried into my Star Wars Pillow (still have it)

• Options
    Scoham said:
    When you start a new game you should have the option of which database you use.
    That's fine, and it gives me new admiration for Bowyer too  :)
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Best version will always be Championship Manager 01/02

You can download it for free now

https://www.fmscout.com/a-championship-manager-0102-free-download.html
    I knew I shouldn’t have followed that link. I started my game with Plymouth, but was dismissed just before Christmas.

My wife is working from home at the moment and I’ve had some uncertainty over my own work situation. So when I yelled, “I got the sack!”, she literally jumped out of her chair, before realising that I wasn’t talking about the game.

Oh and if you were concerned by about my work situation, after a year of applying for positions, I’ve finally got myself a job as the manager of Shrewsbury Town and am officially addicted again! 🙄
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    PopIcon said:

I had this on the Mega Drive. In fact I've still got it somewhere. Was very addictive.