Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Laurel and Hardy

2»

Comments

• Options
    That s just Brilliant.My heroes
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    What I love about this thread is that, so far, no one has come on and posted anything negative about them (that'll change now I've mentioned it!). They may not be to everyone's taste but there can't be many comedians that have maintained such enduring respect and love. They've also influenced countless comedians such as Paul Merton, Frank Skinner, Stephen Fry, Steve Coogan, John Cleese, Steve Martin, Jennifer Saunders, Vic Reeves...

For me, watching Laurel and Hardy in the early 1980s (at 5.40 on BBC2) with my dad, is as nostalgic a memory as is the memory of going to see Charlton with my dad. I'm posting this just to keep the thread on Page 1 a little bit longer! Laurel and Hardy plus Charlton - love it.

(Cue the jokes about Charlton being run by Laurel and Hardy.)
    I think all comedy ages, it is inevitable, but I doubt any comedy will age better than theirs. Their chemistry was so strong that people will enjoy for centuries in a way than say they wont for Charlie Chaplin or modern comedians.

I think this is an example. It really has aged well IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1oLlZyO5WE
  • Options
    I visited the museum in Ulverstone. It's worth a visit for fans. Will go again this year in July. Cheap to get in. Lots of memorbillia and original props and clothes. Nice statue in Ulverstone itself to. Childhood favourites. Still love them. 
  • Options
    I've come to forget..forget what?? I've forgotten lol
  • Options
    My favourite comedy duo.  With those two, Buster Keaton, and The Marx Brothers, you wouldn't want for great comedy.
    Substitute Harold Lloyd for the Marx Brothers and I'll be happy.
    But that's another solo act, good as he is.  I was purposely picking a solo, duo and ensemble.
  • Options
    Unfailingly give me joy. I know of no other art that I can say that about.
  • Options
    I used to consider L & H before my time, maybe it's because I'm a little older I don't know, but ever since I watched a two hour show on sky arts a couple of years back I look at them in a completely different light, and I just love the 'of the time ' editing of stunts, and their timing is incredible. 
  • Options
    I always love that look that Ollie gave the camera when Stanley had done something stupid as he was prone to do.