Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best own goals you ever scored?

2»

Comments

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    Wasnt there a game against Sunderland when all our goals were own goals, one guy getting two of them?
    Mentioned in The Grauniad today:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/may/21/premier-league-1000-own-goals-mark-crossley-sergio-reguilon?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options
    Scored a blinder one Sunday morning about 30 years ago at Hall Place. Ball came across and I had their forward breathing down my neck. Managed to hold him off but my attempt to clear whilst facing the goal just ended up with the ball flying into the top corner. We were already 2 or 3 down so didn't have an effect on the result but still got pelters off my teamates after the game.
  • Options
    Making my debut as a CB for my new team, aged 13, engaged in an epic bout of head tennis between the halfway line and the edge of our box. As it came back for a third time, I misjudged it completely, it smacked the top of my head and lobbed our keeper from 20 yards. Two minutes later, I got back onto the line during an opposition attack and for some reason decided to pull off a flying save, after our keeper was beaten, tipping it round the post. The referee didn't give anything because I think he was confused, and we were already 12 goals down or something. :/
  • Options
    I was in goal for a 6 a side. I called for the ball but then I walked forwards 7 or 8 yards. The defender - one of the best players I have ever played with - hit the ball back to me off the side wall without looking and it went straight into the now-empty net. The look he gave me made me realise that was probably my fault more than his. I take full responsibility. 
  • Options
    Sounds more like his fault to be honest. Passing the ball back in an unconventional way without looking where you were.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    The worst one from memory for me was about 15 odd years ago.

Playing as goalie the opposition team got a corner in the dying minutes of the game. Corner comes in and at the same time a wasp comes at my face. I try to swat it away. the ball is whipped in. hits me straight in the face and goes in. 2 points dropped.  Fucking wasp.
  • Options
    Away at Thamesmead circa mid 90s.

Ran out of a wall to charge down an indirect free kick and ended up doing a Paul Parker and deflecting it so it looped over our keeper. 

• Options
    Even cost us the 3rd place playoff as well - wanker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fortunately I have never suffered the indignity.
    I was an old fashioned outside right, who got a nosebleed if I found myself anywhere near my own penalty area.
    I wore the number 7 shirt with pride.😌
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Ran out of a wall to charge down an indirect free kick and ended up doing a Paul Parker and deflecting it so it looped over our keeper. 

Did your goalie do shitty little pitter patter backward steps like Shilton did, and then wait to see which way the ball was going before diving in the penalty shoot ?

Fuck you Shilton - two world cups you cost us
    I don't think we would of won either but shiton was a mare of a keeper.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Even cost us the 3rd place playoff as well - wanker.
    As a boy, I always looked at Shilton with awe. Then watching recent Big Match Revisiteds he doesn't seem to have been as good as I remembered him. Maybe it is just the episodes I have watched.
  • Options
    Dave Shipperley against Orient in relegation season in 72 will take some beating
    Remember it well, Easter game, from the halfway line over the keepers head at the Covered end. 
  • Options
    I played once an entire season as a number 9 and scored 4 goals and 3 own goals 

I've got a good back catalogue of own goals, a couple were back passes were I committed the cardinal sin of playing a very deal able ball back to a goalkeeper but playing the ball between our own posts 

I can also claim one from about 35 yards picking up possession with absolutely no passing options on, I clipped with a touch too much leather in hindsight, the ball back to our goalkeeper to predictably launch a long ball only for it to sail.over his head and was still travelling when it found its home of our own net 

I also have two bullet headers in, if memory serves, back to back games both defending corners. Ball comes in, I meet it with my head fully intending to send it back whence it came both times my 50p head pings the ball into the top left and centre of our own goal

One that wasn't an own goal but an absolute calamity of the highest order was me making ground up, hurling myself airborne at 5 bells centre forward cleaning him out and taking the ball with my right foot only for a monster of a connection to fire the ball into the face of our backpeddling centre half and the ball flying past our keeper who had taken root somewhere near the penalty spot 
  • Options
    I got around 5 - 6 one season at under 12's. The best being a pole driver into the bottom left corner from 20 yards out. Left the keeper for dead. 
    I've never bettered that tally. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Not so much an own goal but one weekend I was playing emergency goalie in horrible wind & rain. I completely misjudged the flight of the ball from a long free kick. It took one bounce just outside the 18, flew over my head and rolled into the net before I could recover. It was part of an 8-1 defeat. Safe to say I never got the call to play in goal again.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Did your goalie do shitty little pitter patter backward steps like Shilton did, and then wait to see which way the ball was going before diving in the penalty shoot ?

Hugely overrated keeper Shilton 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Hugely overrated keeper Shilton 
    I completely agree, I never got why he was rated so highly when I was a kid getting into football. I still think we should have bought Dave Beassant on for the penalties v West Germany. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jim Tolmie. Will never forget that.
    In my mind was completely unforced error, just smashed it in from distance for no reason I can remember. Was however well pissed from Beehive before the game so could be wrong.