Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cover to Cover: Gloria

Comments

• Options
    Patti Smith's version is very, very good, but .... Van the Man for me.
  • Options
    Patti Smith. Horses is a great album. 
  • Options
    Van for me.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    most definitely Patti ... still have the 12” version in the garage somewhere 
  • Options
    This is the best one yet, can make a case for either and it would be a good one. Patti Smith for me for the pure energy, but that's taking nothing away from Van Morrison.

(Jimi Hendrix does a good live cover, but not up to this standard)
  • Options
    Van the man.
  • Options
    Both as shockingly bad as each other.
    PS someone I know has had business dealings with Van Morrison and he's allegedly not a very nice man.
  • Options
    PS someone I know has had business dealings with Van Morrison and he's allegedly not a very nice man.
    Ms AA saw him in concert many years ago and said he was a miserable bugger who spent all set looking at his watch and buggered off stage as soon as he reasonably good.
  • Options
    It's a hard choice, the versions are very different in their interpretation.  If I was after some easy listening, it would be Them, if I wanted to be shaken up it would be Patti.
  • Options
    He used to drink & i think live in Bangor (up to a few years ago anyway, may still do) & if anyone approached him in the pub even to just say hello they'd receive a mouthful of abuse. Thoroughly obnoxious man so I've been told.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Patti Smith's version is as Patti Smith does. It it unique and she owns it. But it is a Van song and it is the original Them version it is for me probably as much because that is how it was performed, as part of the staple diet of covers, in the school bands I was in some 40 plus years ago now.

• Options
    Hendrix version > Patti Smith version > Them version
  • Options
    He used to drink & i think live in Bangor (up to a few years ago anyway, may still do) & if anyone approached him in the pub even to just say hello they'd receive a mouthful of abuse. Thoroughly obnoxious man so I've been told.
    Yes, I was being generous when I said not very nice.
    Thoroughly nasty & obnoxious is closer to what I heard.
  • Options
    Be careful what you say chaps. Even the Irish Times is scared of him:

Those of us lucky enough never to have met our hero have still heard enough tales about Morrison's unpleasantness to make our newspapers' libel lawyers shudder with fear.
  • Options
    But then this is what he says about himself anyway:

"I'm not a nice person. I don't expect anyone to say I'm a nice guy. If somebody says I'm grumpy, I'm a c***, or whatever, that's okay because I don't profess to be an angel. I think I'm a loner."
  • Options
    milo said:
    Hendrix version > Patti Smith version > Them version
    Doors version. Only Jim can bring out the seediness of the song. 
  • Options
    Even denied his long term partner had borne his child.

Great singer & song writer......but not a nice  man. 
  • Options

I think we are suppose to judge the 2 versions not Van Morrison the man.

Van Morrison for me

• Options
    The Doors version is the best. Although I think the two on offer here are brilliant too.
  • Options
    Patti Smith version. The first line sums up kids apathy with religion in one fell swoop.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    God, that Doors version is terrible but so is nearly all their stuff. Such an overrated band.
  • Options
    God, that Doors version is terrible but so is nearly all their stuff. Such an overrated band.
    Agree. Jim Morrison sound like Vic Reeves doing the club singer
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Agree. Jim Morrison sound like Vic Reeves doing the club singer
    Perfect analogy
  • Options
    Yep agree H.

For me Them steal the show on this song.
  • Options
    Van is a bit like John Martyn, both miserable, nasty drunks, both geniuses.

Lou Reed, another hero, was another grumpy sod.
  • Options
    Doesn't sound grammatically correct, but Them for me.
  • Options
    Patti Smith version.  But then I'm a massive PS fan.  Saw her in 76 at Roundhouse and about 7-8 times since.  Was due to see her at Bath festival next month (now cancelled) and have a ticket for Albert Hall concert in November (fingers crossed).  Her stage presence and energy (even in her 70s) is amazing.
  • Options
    Patti Smith for me. Loved it when it first came out.
  • Options
    101er's did a great version
  • Options
    i go with Them