Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stirling Moss RIP

2»

Comments

• Options
    my father used to race with him in the early 50s, I'm told that at one rowdy party in our flat in Grove Park I had to give up my bedroom so that he could have a kip

lovely man and great driver
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    RIP to a top sportsman and a tough man, I am sure that I read somewhere he had survived falling into a lift shift, when the doors opened without the lift. 

Edited after Googling.
    Yes he did at 80 and broke quite a few bones....
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2010/mar/08/stirling-moss-admitted-to-hospital
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    A major reason he didn't win the World Title was that his cars were not that reliable rather than any lack of ability. Italians love their motorsport and my dad always said he was a great driver which means he was.
  • Options
    My wife got the programme I got him to sign at Goodwood in 2010 framed up for me a couple of years ago. He drove his final race that weekend as he retired the following year after the qualifying session for a historic car race at Le Mans.

• Options
    One of the greatest ever to drive. RIP.
  • Options
    An all time great. RIP
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    He had an accident nearly 60 years ago that should have killed him. His survival was remarkable and he lived to a good age and we should be happy he had those years. This is not a death to mourn, but a life to celebrate.
  • Options
    Not so much a good innings. More like quite a few laps around the track. RIP Stirling.
  • Options
    RIP old chap!
  • Options
    He was once a national hero.A true sportsman .A life well lived.RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A major reason he didn't win the World Title was that his cars were not that reliable rather than any lack of ability. Italians love their motorsport and my dad always said he was a great driver which means he was.
    A lot of this stemmed from the fact that he was very patriotic and preferred to drive British cars at a time when the Italians and the Germans were more reliable.