Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stop smoking advice

2»

Comments

• Options
    I thought smoking was vile but it took me about five goes over ten years to stop completely.  I'd give up as a New Year resolution, get through about 21 months then have a particular tense chess match at the start of the new season and cadge a fag of one of the other players.  Getting a girlfriend, the future Ms AA,  who didn't smoke helped, as did falling out of love with chess so, @Gasman, working with non-smokers is a better environment for you.

Ultimately, you've got to want it enough.  I wish you the best of luck.
  • Options
    A mate of mine from the world of Martial Arts was a smoker, loved his fags.
    Tried many times to give up using many different ways to turn himself into an ex smoker, but could never do it.
    Until one day he felt short of breath, went to docs, who sent him for a lung check, turns out he had a large tumour that has also growing round his heart. He stopped smoking straight away, no problem.
    He lived for another 2 years, during that time he produced several graphic anti smoking videos showing what a mess cigarettes had caused him to turn into.
    When faced with the end of their life most people stop smoking. To survive you just have to quit before you get to that place.
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    A mate of mine from the world of Martial Arts was a smoker, loved his fags.
    Tried many times to give up using many different ways to turn himself into an ex smoker, but could never do it.
    Until one day he felt short of breath, went to docs, who sent him for a lung check, turns out he had a large tumour that has also growing round his heart. He stopped smoking straight away, no problem.
    He lived for another 2 years, during that time he produced several graphic anti smoking videos showing what a mess cigarettes had caused him to turn into.
    When faced with the end of their life most people stop smoking. To survive you just have to quit before you get to that place.
    I find if you are indulging in a regular form of exercise where you are being tested and pushed to the limit, this pretty much does the trick for you.  It did in my case.  When we form up at the start of class and we run through our warm up exercises the instructor basically beasts us so we’re then knackered for the rest of class.  I was huffing and puffing too much despite only being a social smoker, but that was for that best part of 15 years on an off.

It’s different for different people as fortunately, even when I was smoking during the day, the max I would want is 5 or 6 (would easily be 20 on a night out).  I know some people are in deeper than that.  My catalyst simply was exercise as a then 35 year old and being a little out of breath etc 

reading your post @add@Addickted2TheReds, I just think you are probably of an age when you are young enough to do it, but you will stop it when you want too.  Not advocating carrying on, but mentally and physically, you’re of an age where your body, lifestyle is a certain way, you may find yourself changing and be less inclined to do it as the years go on 

@palarsehater, I would say that it’s good you set your goal for your 30th birthday in August, but that’s a long way off and you could try and do some things before then maybe.  Saying you have a cut off point in August may mean that when you get to August, you say, “I’ll just go until the end of the year and give up in 2021 etc”

just something to be mindful of.  
  • Options
    I often wonder how many smokers would quit if they were offered a million quid to quit right away,  with weekly tests to see if they were cheating. I would say that most would quit.
    The trouble with all dangerous drugs is that everyone thinks it won’t happen to them, and then it does, but by then it’s too late.
  • Options
    Heard a doctor on the radio talking about coronavirus. 

Stated several times to give up smoking. He said the lungs need to be at max capacity to fight this disease, 5 percent can make the difference between living or not.
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    I often wonder how many smokers would quit if they were offered a million quid to quit right away,  with weekly tests to see if they were cheating. I would say that most would quit.
    The trouble with all dangerous drugs is that everyone thinks it won’t happen to them, and then it does, but by then it’s too late.
    Like any habit, you have to want to do it.

• Options
    Gasman said:
    Thanks. I have already ordered the alan carr book so will give a go. I change jobs about 4 weeks ago and used to work with alot of smokers so was hard to get away from it but now im a working with non smokers, im the only one so surely will help me too. Cheers
    After 27 years of smoking I gave up aged 40. It will be 12 years this year........ the Alan Carr book was key to my winning that battle
  • Options
    About five years ago I tried vaping and did two weeks on that with no fags then two weeks with nothing then I went on a proper night out and before the night was out I’d bought fags and was smoking again.

two years ago I was so busy with home and work I didn’t smoke for a couple of days without realising, when I went to have a cigarette I mentioned that it was going to be my first in three days and it clicked that I didn’t NEED them otherwise I would have found time to go and buy some. Haven’t smoked since.

put on 2 1/2 stone though...