Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Peter Bonetti RIP

2»

Comments

• Great keeper, just sad he had one off-day in 1970, for which he'll be remembered more than anything else.

RIP Peter

The obits tomorrow will make sad reading.
  • RIP The Cat. Bonetti was a great keeper of his time. Every keeper has a bad game or two in him and he shouldn't be remembered for one of his when he has so many good ones.
  • Great goalkeeper and  by all accounts a lovely chap. RIP 'The Cat'
  • A great shot stopper. RIP
  • edited April 2020
    He was a hero of England's greatest keeper, Peter Shilton, so he must have been pretty good.
  • How sad
    Will be remembered at the Bridge and the wider footie loving community, with great affection
    RIP
  • Bonetti and Moss - 2 classic heroes of schoolboys a generation ago gone on the same day. RIP.
  • The Cat was the goalkeeper at the first game i went too.....RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2020
    He was a fantastically agile keeper. 

Personally I thought he was the best around.

Bank was a great keeper as well of course and Ramsey saw no reason to replace him. 

Personally I felt Peter was unfairly blamed for the West Germany defeat. 

RIP "The Cat" 😥
  • Ah, God bless you Peter. RIP.

For anyone who wants to know the difference between older and more modern keepers just look a the picture of Bonetti stood next to Petr Cech. Now, who would you rather have in goal? 

• edited April 2020
    I must admit, I know Bonetti was good but he was just before my time. The best keeper I have ever seen was Peter Shilton (at his peak) and he was only 6ft. I think it is a big error in the modern game that shorter keepers are dismissed to easily.  
  • Good keeper, and by all accounts a popular guy. RIP Peter.  
  • He was a fantastically agile keeper. 

Personally I thought he was the best around.

Bank was a great keeper as well of course and Ramsey saw no reason to replace him. 

Personally I felt Peter was unfairly blamed for the West Germany defeat. 

RIP "The Cat" 😥
    My all time favourite player.  The obits are agreeing with you about Mexico 70.
  • Spent six seasons watching Chelsea as a nipper with the Old Man. Peter Bonetti was as exciting to watch as Charlie Cooke, Alan Hudson or Peter Osgood. Never seen a keeper with a better leap or who was so active in the air. He seemed to be able to fly sideways across the length of his goal without dropping an inch until he had touched the ball. 
  • From my old man, doesn’t have an account 

Great goalkeeper and had the honour of scoring 2 penalties against
    the Mighty Addicks!............rest in peace Peter.

Cabbles snr

• edited April 2020
    What was that song we used to sing?

'We've got Bellotti not Bonetti' but I can't recall the rest of it just now.

Suffice to say Peter Bonetti was regarded as a bit better than our dear old Derek Bellotti.

• This is how I will remember Peter Bonetti.
  • Cabbles - Nice article that.

The "long-throw-in contest" sounds like the sort of thing people might resort to for entertainment in times of lockdown. Of course, back then it sometimes felt like we were in lockdown (certainly on Sundays anyway!) 
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:
    From my old man, doesn’t have an account 

Great goalkeeper and had the honour of scoring 2 penalties against
    the Mighty Addicks!............rest in peace Peter.

Cabbles snr

Wasn't aware of this game previously. What a great idea to host a home and away Testimonial to acknowledge a player from each club.
  • edited April 2020
    Some good goalkeeping from Peter Bonetti and John Jackson in this Big Match footage from 1969. Also some cracking goalmouth action, two excellent goals and a defender making a clearance whilst holding one of his own boots (not attached to his foot!) and note the distinct lack of whining, when the ref rules out the Chelsea goal. All brilliantly brought together by the magnificent Brian Moore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz5QjMTM9oc 

• Bonetti rightly got criticism for the quarter-final defeat in 1970 - certainly for the first and third goals. But that criticism haunted him for the rest of his career, and that was unjustified. Ramsey pretty much escaped criticism which was also unjustified.
    The Cat is up there with the best of the goalkeepers I've seen.

RIP Peter.

• This is how I will remember Peter Bonetti.
    Great photo.

It would be a laugh if in reality, he was massively out of position and that ball is actually flying smack into the middle of the net!