Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP THREADS

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    It is pretty evident what the RIP threads are. If you see somebody that was part of your life and you want to pay respects, what is the problem? If you don't, don't open the thread surely.
    Because you can still see the thread title, it can turn the place from what is (normally) a football forum to an obituaries section. 
    We’re in the middle of a pandemic. Lots of people are currently dying and there is no new football on the tv. Hardly surprising? 
    No you are right, theres not enough.
    From now on when I hear of someone who has died I'll just start a new thread.

Forget about football and embrace death.

I use to come on here for fun, these days I'm here for misery.
  • Options

PopIcon said:
    se9addick said:
    It is pretty evident what the RIP threads are. If you see somebody that was part of your life and you want to pay respects, what is the problem? If you don't, don't open the thread surely.
    Because you can still see the thread title, it can turn the place from what is (normally) a football forum to an obituaries section. 
    We’re in the middle of a pandemic. Lots of people are currently dying and there is no new football on the tv. Hardly surprising? 

We’re in a pandemic. Is it meant to be fun?  I never said there wasn’t enough rip threads. It doesn’t bother me either way. I hardly open them.

Can everyone just stop dying please so we all, especially @PopIcon can get back to having fun. 

How about you start a ‘fun’ football themed thread for everyone to enjoy? 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I know part of my issue with the RIP threads, is not so much whether I know the person or not but that it’s a stark reminder of the inevitability of my own death and how close I may or may not be from it! 

Especially as some who have died are much younger than me and that makes me feel uncomfortable, particularly as I struggle with my own wellbeing and living alone.

I think one of my fears is being found dead in my flat, months after my death, having been partially devoured by my dog.

I rarely open the threads but as the heading is there in bold lettering, I can’t avoid it either.

• Options
    Then in the kindest sense Sillav, I’m not sure open discussion platforms are best for you sir
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    If there was more going on in the world perhaps there wouldn't be five on one page. A lot of those that have sadly passed away are part of many growing up for many of us and paying respects for some is the right thing to do.

There are still 45 other threads to look at on the page too so ignoring 10% of them shouldn't be that much of an issue should it?
    And they are currently numbers 6, 22, 24, 43 & 50. The last named are two that are Charlton related and the first three are a former England goalkeeper, one of the greatest racing drivers there has ever been and someone who was a comic genius to many. And all three of those died in the last 24 hours.
    My point remains the same. Everyone who dies is special to some one. With all the COVID19 threads and the RIP threads it's become a bit morose and gloomy on here, I think the rest of the media have those angles covered.

Maybe you're the guy who loves a RIP thread.

That's all I have to say on this.
    I absolutely love learning that yet another person has died. What a cheap shot! My Dad died two years ago. He brought me to my first game at the Valley in 1963 and I have supported them since. You will be pleased to learn that I didn't open a thread for him because I knew that there wouldn't be much interest and only a couple on here would know of him.

It's not a question of him "deserving" a thread on here - it's about opening a thread for someone who has passed away who either people knew through CAFC or because some might want to share what that person meant to them. Equally, I didn't know that much about John Prine's music but reading how highly regarded he was by many on here I decided to listen to some of his.

One thread for a former England keeper, a world class racing driver and a comedian would get as complicated as amalgamating the dozen or so threads we have going about the Corona!

There is no sport or anything else really going on in the world but there are plenty of people sadly dying. Threads will naturally slip off the page according to their interest and what else is going on.  For example, each of these RIP threads from the last 24 hours will last 50 times longer than your thread about "looking for a drummer" which had one the total sum of one response.

Perhaps you should have your own section and stop clogging up the front page with threads that no one has any interest in. 

See - we can all do cheap shots!

PS I am a drummer, have a kit plus half a dozen guitars and recording facilities. I wish you good luck with your solo project.

I don't care that my thread about looking for a drummer didn't get a response, it was a stab in the dark and as it happens something a lot better has come along.

My talking about RIP threads isn't a cheap shot, I'm being factual. Loads of people are thinking it, they just dont want to say it because of the ridicule that some noddy's on here will give you for it.

I also know multiple people who have died from the coronavirus and would probably have found reading about your fathers passing more interesting.

I my made my feelings clear and wont be arguing with anyone about this.
  • Options
    Think I prefer the RIP thread to the Politics of Corona thread 
  • Options
    http://lifeinlegacy.com/

This website gives you all the latest celebs/sportsman/politicians etc from around the world who have passed away in the last 7 days. I read it occasionally to find out whether one of my own guitar/film heroes etc has passed, something you wont find in the main stream media. its an American site so obviously a bit biased to the states. To each their own...
  • Options
    At the moment we could have half a dozen RIP threads a day.
    Would a RIP thread be closed if i was doing one for a doctor or nurse whose passed away that day.

• Options
    Too add i thought the RIP thread that was started was for the RIP to go on there.

• Options
    I know part of my issue with the RIP threads, is not so much whether I know the person or not but that it’s a stark reminder of the inevitability of my own death and how close I may or may not be from it! 

Especially as some who have died are much younger than me and that makes me feel uncomfortable, particularly as I struggle with my own wellbeing and living alone.

I think one of my fears is being found dead in my flat, months after my death, having been partially devoured by my dog.

I rarely open the threads but as the heading is there in bold lettering, I can’t avoid it either.

Just read that Nitram ( my mate reverses his name like you!), and I just wanted to reply, because I was rather saddened by that.
    I can understand that the RIP threads may make you feel anxious, but I guess the way to look at it, is they bear no relation to how you are, and your circumstances.
    They do remind us that time is indeed passing, but if it helps, see them as simply something that does not directly affect your life, health or well being. Then move on to thread titles that might lift your spirits. 👍🏻
    Avoid all Charlton v Millwall match threads... 😉
  • Options
    Of course, the mods should add a feature that allows you to filter out threads which have certain text strings in their title. The risk for the non-RIP folk is that they would miss a thread entitled 'Free beer on boat trip for Fulham' (unless, of course, the mods could make it case sensitive).
  • Options
    I dont understand why people are against it, in normal times you see one about once a week if that, in these times obviously things have changed. Pass it by if its not your thing or want to pass on any respectful comments. After all I dont read every topic here and I suspect a lot of others do the same.
    This
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never normally a big fan of the RIP thread and some of them over the years have been quite bizarre.

But. We are losing some pretty big hitters during these awful times so ok with me.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    se9addick said:

Have a wank mate. 
    No need to post any pictures though. 
  • Options
    Just to add, I’m not a huge fan of them myself, and have tried on a couple of times to create a generic thread for people to use for them, with zero success. I kind of get that though, I’ve learnt that only a small percentage of people look in generic titled threads.

Where it does work for me and why I personally have no problem with it is because:

1. Over the course of a normal month, we will have 3,000 new thread started, or old threads having new comments added. Within that, you’ll probably get 5-15 RIP threads. It’s a lot less impacting than some are making out.

2. I don’t really follow other ‘news’ sources and for me, and I suspect many others, the first time they'll hear of someone famous death is when it’s posted on here.

3. Many posted I’ve never heard of. As I result I don’t really take much interest, however, occasionally I’ll then find myself intrigued in that person and their background and half an hour later find ive had an interesting spell wiki and googling their life, or a specific event, and feel educated or knowledgeable on something or someone I knew nothing of.

4. I love it in those threads where random connections kick in. When someone shared the time worked on the production team of that persons show, was someone’s second cousin, dated their daughter, picked them up in their cab, sat next to them in a pub, was involved in a charity with them, was on the same cruise. Punched them in the face at a charity dinner. Those are great reads and I love though. 

If it got to the time in normal times where we felt these were getting too overloaded, we’ll review it, but I really don’t think it’s anything worth kicking off about. 
    Have I mentioned the time I punched Kenny Rogers in the face because he left the Goodies? And I broke a chair over Bill Oddie, because he hadn’t? 👍🏻
    I’ll nip over to Kenny’s thread in a bit and recount the whole tawdry affair 😀🙄
  • Options
    For those who are interested Radio 4 have a weekly obituary show called Last Word

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qpmv

For those who aren't interested don't click on the link.
  • Options
    Then in the kindest sense Sillav, I’m not sure open discussion platforms are best for you sir
    I take your point and your sentiment @AFKABartram thanks but for me, my melancholy/fear/negativity could become crippling, if I heeded your advice, well meant as it is.

And therefore I try to do what Jim Morrison sings-‘Break on Through to the Other side!’

It’s  the only way otherwise I’d end up doing nothing.
  • Options
    I think we should say RIP to the RIP thread claiming there are too many RIP threads and they should be RIP'd
  • Options
    3blokes said:

Just read that Nitram ( my mate reverses his name like you!), and I just wanted to reply, because I was rather saddened by that.
    I can understand that the RIP threads may make you feel anxious, but I guess the way to look at it, is they bear no relation to how you are, and your circumstances.
    They do remind us that time is indeed passing, but if it helps, see them as simply something that does not directly affect your life, health or well being. Then move on to thread titles that might lift your spirits. 👍🏻
    Avoid all Charlton v Millwall match threads... 😉
    Ah thanks for your thoughts @3blokes but don’t be sad, I’m ok, ‘Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway’  as Susan Jeffers said and for the most part I do.

Cheers 
  • Options
    I have no problem with them. I do have a problem with "reality TV" threads, so I just ignore them. 
    Dont tell me;

Left wing - like RIP threads
    Right wing - dont like RIP threads?

;-)
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Off_it said:
    I have no problem with them. I do have a problem with "reality TV" threads, so I just ignore them. 
    Dont tell me;

Left wing - like RIP threads
    Right wing - dont like RIP threads?

;-)
    Definitely not!

I played all my life as a left winger and never would I venture on to the right

Same in politics as in life.
  • Options
    Just to add, I’m not a huge fan of them myself, and have tried on a couple of times to create a generic thread for people to use for them, with zero success. I kind of get that though, I’ve learnt that only a small percentage of people look in generic titled threads.

Where it does work for me and why I personally have no problem with it is because:

1. Over the course of a normal month, we will have 3,000 new thread started, or old threads having new comments added. Within that, you’ll probably get 5-15 RIP threads. It’s a lot less impacting than some are making out.

2. I don’t really follow other ‘news’ sources and for me, and I suspect many others, the first time they'll hear of someone famous death is when it’s posted on here.

3. Many posted I’ve never heard of. As I result I don’t really take much interest, however, occasionally I’ll then find myself intrigued in that person and their background and half an hour later find ive had an interesting spell wiki and googling their life, or a specific event, and feel educated or knowledgeable on something or someone I knew nothing of.

4. I love it in those threads where random connections kick in. When someone shared the time worked on the production team of that persons show, was someone’s second cousin, dated their daughter, picked them up in their cab, sat next to them in a pub, was involved in a charity with them, was on the same cruise. Punched them in the face at a charity dinner. Those are great reads and I love though. 

If it got to the time in normal times where we felt these were getting too overloaded, we’ll review it, but I really don’t think it’s anything worth kicking off about. 
    Quietly waiting for former Chess Grand Master Gary Kasparov to kick the bucket so I can tell of the time I sat next to him in the Valley Cafe and him taking hour and 20 minutes to pass the salt when I asked him.

Also Kelly Maloney was a regular in my shop up Grove Park, but when she was Frank, so that can be another one when the time comes and assuming they both go before I do