Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CRIME & COVID 19

I was very surprised to hear that reported crimes had dropped by 20% during the lockdown. I really thought it would have been more like 50% or more. I mean surely pub brawls, gang battles, street robbery, shop lifting, and many other areas of crime must be impacted by the fact we are largely all sitting in doors, and especially all at home in the evenings. 

In Latin America figures are drastically reduced by up to 84% in some cases and by over 40% in South Africa. 

What’s your thoughts. 

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Drug addiction hasn't stopped and is probably the root driver of much crime in the UK.

Considering earnings from begging must have completely dried up in the past months I imagine drug addiction related crime has probably increased and offset by the overall reduction in other crimes.
  • Options
    I was very surprised to hear that reported crimes had dropped by 20% during the lockdown. I really thought it would have been more like 50% or more. I mean surely pub brawls, gang battles, street robbery, shop lifting, and many other areas of crime must be impacted by the fact we are largely all sitting in doors, and especially all at home in the evenings. 

In Latin America figures are drastically reduced by up to 84% in some cases and by over 40% in South Africa. 

What’s your thoughts. 
    I think the 20% figure was based on March, of which lockdown was only in place for the last part. April will be the noticeable figure
  • Options
    Scum like this are still out and about

https://twitter.com/Kent_999s/status/1250082650943098880
  • Options
    There was a mob out and about in the city last weekend checking out buildings for signs of life.
  • Options
    bit of a reported problem with 'domestic abuse' though .. perhaps understandable if families are cramped indoors with little to do
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Could've sworn that was Jack Whitehall.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Glad he got caught
  • Options
    Yeah if it was me I would lock him up and throw away the key - but it’s not.

not crime of the century but got on the train today after work and the youth that left they train when it pulled into Victoria had done this - where are the parents ffs. 

• Options
    With the quiet roads some are using it as an excuse to drive way too fast.
  • Options
    @palarsehater

"not crime of the century"....as a Charlton fan that is nothing short of sacrilege!

They'll be mobbed if they ever turn up at the valley.  

;-)  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2020
    What % of our population do you think are seriously stupid, nasty scumbags ? 
  • Options
    What % of our population do you think are seriously stupid, nasty scumbags ? 
    Between 1-3% 
  • Options
    Drug addiction hasn't stopped and is probably the root driver of much crime in the UK.

Considering earnings from begging must have completely dried up in the past months I imagine drug addiction related crime has probably increased and offset by the overall reduction in other crimes.
    Drug addiction crime was down last I heard because most of it is burglary and shoplifting, both of which are much harder when people are home and the shops are closed.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    that sounds like at least 3 questions and possibly more with the permutations.

I’d have to leave it to others to assess:
    seriously stupid (5% depending on how serious you mean)
    nasty (less than 1% depending on how nasty you mean)
    scumbags (5%) 
  • Options
    that sounds like at least 3 questions and possibly more with the permutations.

I’d have to leave it to others to assess:
    seriously stupid (5% depending on how serious you mean)
    nasty (less than 1% depending on how nasty you mean)
    scumbags (5%) 
    You have ably demonstrated the detailed background work to my summary position of 1-3%

I’m most grateful😊