Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Magazine

Mrs BDL was having a clear out and found this from back in the day. Something to pass a few minutes and some interesting stuff contained.

Oh and 0898 12 11 46, you kids will never know..............

Comments

• Loved that. Thanks Dave.
  • Brilliant Dave. Thanks for posting. It was great seeing photos of Maurice Banham and Bill Gallagher again. My Dad knew them both very well from when he used to work at The Valley Club.
  • Wow. 30 years ago. I remember all of that.

John Humphrey was called up to the England B team but turned it down so he could go on the tour to Australia as he knew he was leaving the club and wanted to have one last big away jolly with the boys. He was never selected again.
  • At the time I thought that relegation would be the end of us. That little column about Curbs coming back as player/reserve coach should've given me hope at the time.
  • That is fantastic, thanks for sharing...
  • Even though, in the words of Max Boyce, I was there, I still get emotional reading about The Valley Party and that night at the Town Hall.
  • Brilliant read thanks
  • Very pleased you posted this, thanks
  • I especially enjoyed the letter on Page 18 from Dartford-based Jean Huelin.

It sounds like she embarrasses easily though, but I doubt that she visits this site much.  Wonder what ever became of her?
  • Doubtless produced by the rather excellent @Suthers during his time at the club.

That was one of my defining memories of that period of supporting the club, our PR materials went from being rather low-rent under the admirable but rather old-school Peter Burrowes to suddenly being really sharp and slick when Steve came into the club.

Given the fact he probably had absolutely bugger-all in the way of resources Steve did a terrific job back in those very difficult days of exile.
  • Sponsored links:

• Doubtless produced by the rather excellent @Suthers during his time at the club.

That was one of my defining memories of that period of supporting the club, our PR materials went from being rather low-rent under the admirable but rather old-school Peter Burrowes to suddenly being really sharp and slick when Steve came into the club.

Given the fact he probably had absolutely bugger-all in the way of resources Steve did a terrific job back in those very difficult days of exile.

Did he pay you? ;)
  • I've still got a few of these somewhere. 
  • 0898 12 11 46 - that does bring back memories

I used to be able to recall all the football Ceefax numbers that I used regularly, sadly I can’t now

A mate of mine listened to the entire St Andrews play off final on club call - cost him a small fortune !!!
  • edited April 2020
    Interesting to see the relatively mediocre attendances for English football in 1989/90 at page 16. I suppose it was not too long after the nadir of the mid-80s and just before Italia 90 stimulated some enthusiasm for the game.

Page 17 also records that TV audiences for football in 1989 (29%) were lagging in fourth place behind snooker (43%), athletics (37%) and tennis (30%). Very different times.

The picture of the late Anne Bradshaw (nee Payne) on page 14 made me feel sad. I got to know her because my dad was a steward at The Valley and we all went up on a staff coach to Carlisle for our momentous promotion game in May 86. On the way back, Anne whipped out a stash of sparkling wine - contrary to The Thatch's Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc.) Act - which we consumed with gusto. What a lovely lady (Anne, not The Thatch).
  • Dave Rudd said:
    I especially enjoyed the letter on Page 18 from Dartford-based Jean Huelin.

It sounds like she embarrasses easily though, but I doubt that she visits this site much.  Wonder what ever became of her?
    Aaah, I hadn't seen that, Dave ! Thank goodness there wasn't an accompanying photo ! 

We had a stack of these mags in a box in the loft which I THINK we donated to a good cause when we moved over 5 years ago.

Said "good cause" in this instance is our dear friend, @GlassHalfFull......

Bet he's made a fortune selling them on Ebay !
  • Come on, Jean.  We want a 1990's photo!

Could be a whole new thread?

I'll let Henry start it.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Come on, Jean.  We want a 1990's photo!

Could be a whole new thread?

I'll let Henry start it.
    Fair enough.

His "threads" are better than mine....:-)

• Rest assured that the Fanackapan Archive lies in the ancient vaults of GHF Towers, secure for future Addicks' generations.  

• Does anyone remember the Evening Standard doing some specials in colour on London Football. The Charlton one features some great photos of Flash and Martin Robinson. Sure I have it in the loft somewhere