Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Player contracts/loans ending on June 30th 2020

2»

Comments

• Options
    Why do they keep talking about June like anything is going to be much different? No one will be able to go to these games so it's pointless starting again then. 
    They dont seem to care about the fans - I think we should expect games to be played behind closed doors when fixtures resume as they seem to want to start up the very next day with the attitude they've got

Unfortunately the organisers dont seem to realise the amount of people (other than the 26 players / officials) that'll need to be at each game

Yet if there was any doubt that the top bods (within a lot of Sport) care about anything other than money then they've failed to prove it during this pandemic

They've had plenty of opportunity to turn round and say, "we'll only look into recommencing once everything is back to normal, there are bigger things to focus on than playing games at the moment"
  • Options
    Much as the authorities may not want it, I can see this season being abandoned if it can’t be completed before June 30th. Any attempt to enforce contracts beyond then will be hit with restraint of trade lawsuits by players and quite possibly the EU.
    UEFA probably wont enforce it though, they'll just make it difficult for players to go elsewhere

i.e. If players want to leave on June 30th then thats fine, but current transfer rules stipulate you cant sign on a free for another club until the next Transfer WIndow opens unless you were a free transfer upon the closure of the last Transfer Window

That'll continue to apply until the next Window opens so players will have a choice

(1) Stay at the current club until this all gets sorted, they're guaranteed a Salary so will still get some income
    (2) Leave and become a free transfer

Well seeing there is no sign of a definite start date to the season how long are you going to be out of pocket for because no one will be paying you
    But then that's not fair on the clubs who have players leave and then have to play the rest of the season without them. At the end of the January window they were expecting that that would be the side they'd have until the end of the season.
    But thats my point, why would players be stupid enough to leave and risk being without a salary for the foreseeable future?

In terms of loan players thats an easy one to resolve - Josh Cullen signed on a season long loan... Well the season isnt over yet
    Depends on what the contract says it may say 3oth June rather than end of season.

Interesting the opposite of Lyle Taylor .. Lewis Page we can't wait to see the back of him but could he claim some form of discriumination if the extended contracts are pick and choose.  Its a mine filed

• Options
    As I suspected this may turn into a legal minefield!

Surely the PL, EFL and UEFA must have plans for this but it’s going to be very tricky indeed.

The UK looks like being the worst hit nation in Europe for COVID-19 so how on earth can you be playing football in six weeks time? 

I think the contracts/loans issue will be the #1 reason the season is voided - just let everyone restart in August.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    Much as the authorities may not want it, I can see this season being abandoned if it can’t be completed before June 30th. Any attempt to enforce contracts beyond then will be hit with restraint of trade lawsuits by players and quite possibly the EU.
    UEFA probably wont enforce it though, they'll just make it difficult for players to go elsewhere

i.e. If players want to leave on June 30th then thats fine, but current transfer rules stipulate you cant sign on a free for another club until the next Transfer WIndow opens unless you were a free transfer upon the closure of the last Transfer Window

That'll continue to apply until the next Window opens so players will have a choice

(1) Stay at the current club until this all gets sorted, they're guaranteed a Salary so will still get some income
    (2) Leave and become a free transfer

Well seeing there is no sign of a definite start date to the season how long are you going to be out of pocket for because no one will be paying you
    But then that's not fair on the clubs who have players leave and then have to play the rest of the season without them. At the end of the January window they were expecting that that would be the side they'd have until the end of the season.
    But thats my point, why would players be stupid enough to leave and risk being without a salary for the foreseeable future?

In terms of loan players thats an easy one to resolve - Josh Cullen signed on a season long loan... Well the season isnt over yet
    Depends on what the contract says it may say 3oth June rather than end of season.

Interesting the opposite of Lyle Taylor .. Lewis Page we can't wait to see the back of him but could he claim some form of discriumination if the extended contracts are pick and choose.  Its a mine filed

It would be none or all for the extended contracts surely. No way would the PFA for example allow clubs to pick and choose which players to keep on

Taking Josh Cullen as an example, while Transfermarkt isn't the bible it shows his contract with us expiring on the 31st May - no reason to have it going beyond the date of the playoff final I guess - while Lyle Taylor's expires on the 30th June.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Typical that there is a strange silence from EUFA who are awash with money and legal advice. As far as top divisions are concerned, they cannot let individual nations take different paths to their lucrative cups. The lower divisions should follow suit.

Lyle is looking at the next contract being the best of his life, for the next three/four years. Prob £20k a week, £3/£4m. Would you accept £20/£30k to extend your contract, on no legal basis, for six weeks if you may get injured and loose your chance of pension and fame?

Read Tony Cascarino's book, mainly in France, late 90s. Relegated sides were required to pay players 20% less. As part of league rules and had to be written into all contracts. 20+ years ago. Why haven't we got that?
  • Options
    No names, no pack drill, no sources. 
    The EFL have had it “decided for them” that 19/20 is not resuming before the Autumn and will probably be cancelled and expunged.

EFL won’t announce this till sometime in May. 

Bouquets - I will be donating my refunded CAFC bet stakes to the Seb fund or similar. 

Brickbats - you agree to match the amount and do the same. 
  • Options
    No names, no pack drill, no sources. 
    The EFL have had it “decided for them” that 19/20 is not resuming before the Autumn and will probably be cancelled and expunged.

EFL won’t announce this till sometime in May. 

Bouquets - I will be donating my refunded CAFC bet stakes to the Seb fund or similar. 

Brickbats - you agree to match the amount and do the same. 
    I like the sound of this & I tend to believe you.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    clive said:
    What a beautiful group of players!!

That Sports Mole really must be a blind mole seeing it said that McGeady had gone back to Sunderland

Huge credit to the Management / Comms teams, they've been spot on with timings for sorting all this out
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thats the spirit & just the sort of blokes you'd want in the trenches with you. Are you watching Mr Taylor  ??
  • Options
    Something in the back of my mind tells me that Jonny Williams is technically out of contract but we have the option to trigger another year if we choose. Don’t quote me on that though 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Something in the back of my mind tells me that Jonny Williams is technically out of contract but we have the option to trigger another year if we choose. Don’t quote me on that though 
    Yes thats correct
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Others might be in the same situation, pretty sure we have an option on Amos, and I'd be staggered if we didn't for Morgan
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Yes thats correct
    I think the option is dependant on us staying up.
  • Options
    We have an option to extend on a number of those players, there are conditions in order for us to extend those deals on current terms and yes a lot is riding on the fact we stay up.

There is even an option to extend Page’s contract if he reached a number of games, which he won’t be able to even if he plays every game now.

But it does show even though we have a lot of out of contract that really needs sorting out, there was forward planning in these contracts. 
  • Options
    Oh, and of course, excellent news on the contracts. Although I expect nothing less with the group we have available to us now.
  • Options
    Legends the lot of em👏
  • Options
    Sage said:
    We have an option to extend on a number of those players, there are conditions in order for us to extend those deals on current terms and yes a lot is riding on the fact we stay up.

There is even an option to extend Page’s contract if he reached a number of games, which he won’t be able to even if he plays every game now.

But it does show even though we have a lot of out of contract that really needs sorting out, there was forward planning in these contracts. 
    Yeah I've been worried about this for a while. Would like to sign up Williams, Sarr, Morgan, Davidson, JFC, Amos, and Matthews right now. Hemed and Page playing (and training) for contracts in my opinion. Think both have something to offer but need to put it together and stay fit. 

But yeah, whatever division we're in, I'm worried about just how short on numbers we could be. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Sage said:

Yeah I've been worried about this for a while. Would like to sign up Williams, Sarr, Morgan, Davidson, JFC, Amos, and Matthews right now. Hemed and Page playing (and training) for contracts in my opinion. Think both have something to offer but need to put it together and stay fit. 

But yeah, whatever division we're in, I'm worried about just how short on numbers we could be. 
    I agree it is a worry, and it’s a huge job for Gallen to sort out again which is exactly what he said last summer that we just can’t keep doing. However, with the mess at boardroom level, it makes his job so much harder it’s ridiculous. Of course, Bowyer will be having a say, but we all know that it’s Gallen that does the main leg work, especially when we have no board or proper leadership.

The only real hope would be that the club’s future gets sorted out in a positive way before long, and that you’re going to have the most free agent players I think the game has ever had this summer. Players aren’t going to want to move if they don’t have to, and you’ll have a lot of talent that could be picked up, but we’d have to be competitive for that to also happen.

Essentially, it’s up to this group of players that we have now that will decide where we go next. A successful ending to this season will leave us in a much, much stronger position, it could even be the difference longer term as to whether we have a club to support or not. Dropping to League One with our contractual situation and the drop in finances without any crowd, it could be detrimental.

Bowyer hit the nail on the head with what he said in his interview this week. It’s up to the players now to make themselves heroes, because that’s exactly what they could be.