Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic Supporters' Trust Hall of Fame 2020

May I ask how it came about that voters have such a limited choice for The Hall of Fame.

How was it that these nine players were chosen?: https://surveyhero.com/c/c88df6d0

Where are Stuart Leary, Eddie Firmani & Sam Bartram?

Where are Derek Hales, Keith Peacock and Colin Powell?

Where are Chris Powell, Mark Kinsella, John Robinson and Clive Mendonca?

These are just the glaring omissions that come immediately to mind. There are others. The list seems so inadequate that I decided not to vote.

Has there been a nomination period and if so how was this conducted?

Also, what is this consequence of this vote? Will there actually be a physical Hall of Fame in the museum?

I'm frankly amazed that this hasn't been a top running thread on Charlton Life already.

Comments

• Don't worry there are different nominees every year, so given time most players will be in the Hall of Fame :smile:
  • edited April 2020
    Its been going since 2012

Pretty sure Bartram, Hales and Mendonca were the first 3

Firmani, Peacock and Robinson all been selected in previous years as well

Pretty sure someone will have a picture of the board so they can post the full winners since 2012
  • Haven't some of the names mentioned by @jimmymelrose been voted into the Hall of Fame in earlier years?
  • LenGlover said:
    Haven't some of the names mentioned by @jimmymelrose been voted into the Hall of Fame in earlier years?
    Yup, he should take a deeper look, this is not a new thing. 
  • Supporters can now have their say on which players should join legends such as Sam Bartram, Keith Peacock, Derek Hales and Mark Kinsella in the club's Hall of Fame.

As always there are three eras represented in the Fans' Forum award - pre-1950s, 1951-1980 and 1981 until the present day - and fans have the choice of three players from each period.

The names of the three elected entrants will be listed on the Hall of Fame board that takes pride of place in the Charlton Museum.

• edited April 2020
    This was from 2015 @jimmymelrose

For some reason I didnt take one on my visit to the museum a few weeks ago, must remember to take a new one next time I go

• It's NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SUPPORTERS' TRUST.

it's been running, as others have said, for years.

Yes, there is a real board in the Museum with all those names ALREADY ON IT.

Did you really think they were the first nine names thought of.

Yes, there was already a thread https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/88805/voting-for-2020-hall-of-fame-now-open/p1

Glad you didn't bother to vote as you've COMPLETELY MISSED THE POINT.

I find your reply to be a bit impolite. Your fourth and sixth lines and the shouting (capitals) are unnecessary.

I wasn't aware of the Hall of Fame so I was asking some legitimate questions.

I haven't 'missed the point', I've just missed the previous years' voting and the thread that you put a link to, that's all. My votes would be just as valid as anyone else's and It's rather unfair to bring that into question.

Everyone else replied in a reasonable manner and I thank them for the information. That's all I needed to know.
  • Sponsored links:

• Supporters can now have their say on which players should join legends such as Sam Bartram, Keith Peacock, Derek Hales and Mark Kinsella in the club's Hall of Fame.

As always there are three eras represented in the Fans' Forum award - pre-1950s, 1951-1980 and 1981 until the present day - and fans have the choice of three players from each period.

The names of the three elected entrants will be listed on the Hall of Fame board that takes pride of place in the Charlton Museum.

This explanation is not written on the CAST site which is how I came about it: https://www.castrust.org/2020/04/vote-for-the-cafc-hall-of-fame-here/. I came about this from clicking on this link from another thread: https://www.castrust.org/2020/04/protecting-the-future-of-charlton-athletic/

It does use the words 'join the hall of fame' but it's not obvious that this is something that's been going on for years.

I do bow to your superiority. I am just a humble, lowly, ignorant prole.
  • CAST were just helping to publicise it @jimmymelrose but point noted that we maybe assumed too much about everyone knowing the history.
  • CAST were just helping to publicise it @jimmymelrose but point noted that we maybe assumed too much about everyone knowing the history.
    Thinking about it, it does jolt the memory a bit. I think I may have been aware of it and maybe even voted in the first year back in 2012 but I certainly didn't realise that this happened every year.

It is a bit odd really. For how many years are we going to add players? At what point does addition become dilution?
    Thinking about it, it does jolt the memory a bit. I think I may have been aware of it and maybe even voted in the first year back in 2012 but I certainly didn't realise that this happened every year.

It is a bit odd really. For how many years are we going to add players? At what point does addition become dilution?
    Probably wouldn’t criticise the process too much at this point mate! 
  •  jimmymelrose said:
    CAST were just helping to publicise it @jimmymelrose but point noted that we maybe assumed too much about everyone knowing the history.

When in a hole stop digging.l

This explanation is not written on the CAST site which is how I came about it: https://www.castrust.org/2020/04/vote-for-the-cafc-hall-of-fame-here/. I came about this from clicking on this link from another thread: https://www.castrust.org/2020/04/protecting-the-future-of-charlton-athletic/

It does use the words 'join the hall of fame' but it's not obvious that this is something that's been going on for years.

You completely missed the point, thought you were being clever mentioning the obvious names and then deemed yourself so superior that you wouldn't condescend to vote.

And you asked why there wasn't a thread on here without bothering to check that there was.

If you want to blame someone else for youR mistakes take it up with CAST

• No legover for Henry last night then.
  • Is now not the time to ask why the original Hall of Fame started by the club in 1994 and with new inductees announced on a yearly basis at the Back To The Valley Annual Dinner not used when this was launched and several players have been included in both  ;)
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Is now not the time to ask why the original Hall of Fame started by the club in 1994 and with new inductees announced on a yearly basis at the Back To The Valley Annual Dinner not used when this was launched and several players have been included in both  ;)
    Blame @Bedsaddick : - )

He asked what had happened to that old hall of fame around 2011.

There didn't seem to be a complete record of who'd been inducted then or how so Ian Wallis and the Fans Forum took it on and decided to start afresh.

The same names ie Bartram, Hales, Firmani were added year on year but now fans could vote.

The fans forum paid for the Hall of Fame board and still pay a sign writer to update it every year.

As this year's nominees show there are still plenty of worthy players not yet inducted.

If there is a gap, then imho it's the lack of managers although Chris Powell is there as a player.

The three eras, which may need changing, mean we don't get just players in living memory.

All three of Whalley, Kingsley and Brown would be very worthy additions to the Hall of Fame but  no one alive will have seen the first two play and very few the last. 

Hopefully, some people will find out about them for the first time or just learn more about our history.

You completely missed the point, thought you were being clever mentioning the obvious names and then deemed yourself so superior that you wouldn't condescend to vote.

And you asked why there wasn't a thread on here without bothering to check that there was.

If you want to blame someone else for youR mistakes take it up with CAST

I did bother to check and didn't find one. Even if I hadn't checked it's hardly a crime.

And I wasn't trying to be clever. 

My not voting had nothing to do with not condescending to vote, what are you talking about? What blame? What mistakes?

We do know each other and always got on well enough. Whatever happened to you? My opinion of you has definitely diminished and you have no real reason to say the same of me. You should read back through this thread and think about your comments. Nothing I said was an insult to anyone.