Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Internet Speed

I know our inetnet speed is bad, but up until now, we've manged to watch things on YouTune and Netflix with no problem. Now my Xbox360 won't connect to Xbox Live, so I can't sign in to watch either YouTube or Netflix through it. Does anyone know enough to tell me just how bad this is please -

Descendant = Download / Ascendeant = Upload

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    It's 906 bad on the Ping scale.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    It's 906 bad on the Ping scale.
    Am I right in thinking the anything over about 150ms is bad?
  • Options
    Buffering on the vinegar strokes mate?
    Yeah, but that's me, not the internet
  • Options
    For netflix to work at all you need 0.5mbps, but for HD quality you need a minimum of 5. But yes that is incredibly low, sometimes my internet drops to around a third of what it should be and I find turning off my router for a minute or so and turning it back on resets the bandwidth and it goes back up to regular levels. If not, have the company told you of bandwidth restrictions in place because of lockdown? I know a lot of places are experiencing very high amounts of traffic so they've slowed down everyone's internet speeds
  • Options
    Your ping is terrible mate. Should be below 100 at the worst really. 
  • Options
    Yer. Gonna turn router off for an hour with a sledgehammer. 

Got a puncture now anyway.......
  • Options
    906ms is very bad on the ping - about what I get on landline broadband.

I get this on 4G which is my solution to living in the back of beyond - unlimited data mobile broadband package and a Huawei router. That might be a solution for you.

010301000.00Mb/s
    PingDownloadUpload
    37 ms12.18 Mb/s8.94 Mb/s
    O2

• Options
    if It’s possible, connect your device directly to the router using an Ethernet cable and it should improve the ping for you. 

Unless you live out in no mans land I’d honestly expect a better package than what you have. You should get in touch with your provider. 
  • Options
    Our network provider gave us a dongle for when we lost connection as it was happening so regularly which was unbelievably quick (for us anyway), but they've now done away with using those and have told me to use my mobile as a router when we lose the landline connection. The only problem is, I don't now have a mobile with the same firm..... Need to sort it out after lockdown 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    if It’s possible, connect your device directly to the router using an Ethernet cable and it should improve the ping for you. 

Unless you live out in no mans land I’d honestly expect a better package than what you have. You should get in touch with your provider. 
    We are in the sticks mate, and we're at the very end of the line. They've installed fibre which is going live in 2021 apparently
  • Options
    I agree with Bob. I'd buy a decent mobile router (£100ish) and pair it with an unlimited data SIM as a stop gap until the fibre connection arrives.
  • Options

Times I've been confronted by the "shrug"
  • Options
    Turned the router off and on after about 5 minutes, and the ping is now 57ms
  • Options
    Yer. Gonna turn router off for an hour with a sledgehammer. 

Got a puncture now anyway.......

• Options
    Cheers all -